->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Folks,

I am planning to head out to Orissa on the 28th of this month, to get some angling on the Mahanadi river in Orissa. I will be fishing at a place called the Satkosia Gorge, which is basically where the Mahanadi enters the Eastern Ghats and then starts its last leg of the journey to the Bay of Bengal.

So obviously, i have fingers crossed, thatt some of the experienced heads on this forum can answer a few of the questions that i have:

1. Has anyone on the forum regularly fished the Mahanadi? Even more specifiaclly has anyone fished near about the Satkosia Gorge? If so, it would be very kind of you to let me know a little bit of the kind of fishing to expect at this time of the year.

2. Does anyone have any idea of the type of gamefish one can come across on this river system?

3. Any suggestions, for bait, lure and tackle for the game fish in the river?

4. Since i am going alone, and want it to be a purely fishing and wildlife viewing experience, i was wondering if there are any anglers in the vicinity of or in Orissa, who might like join me?

Thanks a ton in advance for your answers and help.

Cheers and Tight Lines

Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

send peter de costa a pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

I have fished the backwater of Hirakud Dam long ago. I will not be able to tell you about the spesific location you are going but in genral you will be targetting Rohu, Mirgal, Katla and Malli.

We used to target these fishes using hand lines with a sinker at the end of line and two hooks just above it.

The bait used was earth worm and Boiled Atta mixed with ghee.

Tight Lines and best of luck..

Regards,

Ali. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks a lot Apoo.. i have sent him a PM, hopefully he gets get back to me with some valuable info. But, just out of curiosity, why did you suggest Peter, has he been fishing to Orissa?

Ali,

Thanks for that info. But , besides the species you have mentioned i have heard that the Mahanadi holds some giant 'Silhand', the scientific name for which i don't know. They are rumored to grow quite large. But, any kind of fishing i am sure will be more than entertaining to me. But. thanks for the info.

Tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

I had visited Orissa last September and it was Peter who gave me a lot of valuable information regarding locations near Puri, Chilka and Gopalpur on Sea. But due to a very tight schedule I could not go out for fishing as planned. Maybe next time. Actually Peter's grandfather had a guest house type of a place in the British Era. He learned to swim and fish at Orissa only.

All the best for your trip. May you catch a lot of fish.

Cheers,
Apoo