->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:50 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Was surprised that no body from Pune posted this important News article published in Pune Times ,Pune edition of Times of India Dated 10 of December 2009. on this forum , even I was bit confused where to post /in location-trip/bait tactics / environment conservation ? Since the article is general in nature but about Pune which is in broad sense a location ..therefore reproduced below :
HOOKED TO ANGLING
Sports fishing is the new activity that is making waves in the city PT reports
By Amit Durgapal times newsnetwork

Pune is rife with activities amidst its bountiful natural surroundings . The most exciting among its back to nature pastime is angling or sport fishing .At the placid water bodies in the suburbs of the city anglers can be seen waiting patiently to hook their favorite fish something unseen previously is the interest evinced by youngsters in sports fishing .Bhima river , other smaller water bodies in the city and the bigger lakes in lonavala are heaven for anglers in pune Rohu , mirgal, catfish, catla and murrel are some of the local fishs that afford anglers a pleasant catch it was mostly Anglo Indians who indulged in angling outing earlier . But now ,the sports has won over many individuals in the city.

For someone uninitiated in the sport ,angling might seem a game of chance rather than skill .but that is not the case Col. Pratap Nair ,a veteran angler ,says the usual method of hooking a fish is handling ,which is practiced by villagers .an angler learns to use a rod and reel to hook and land a fish .The skill lies in landing the fish with lightest tackle . A pro angler has sometimes land a 15 pound fish with a 10 pound line. So it is about putting your wits against an animal which can elude you or break the line ,he adds . When an angler lands a big fish ,he moves on to try a lighter line .Thus he adds to the joy of angling.

Many have been attracted to this engaging sport pranav Waghchavare , a businessmen ,got addicted to it as a kid. Later with the help of senior anglers he learnt how to catch a fish and land it .it needs a lot of patience ,doesn’t it ? well pranav says “you don’t mind being patient when you know what you are up to .its part of the game .some time it takes a very long time to land a fish, but it’s worth the wait ‘.

Mukund Choutoy ,a standard 12 student ,learnt a lot about angling in just a year’s time .He was always fond of fishing ,and angling came naturally to him. He says ‘its not as simple as it appears to be. Hooking a fish is one thing and landing it is a Herculean task .the line one use is always weaker than the fish so, one has to be adapt at playing the fish properly.’

Aglig demands a good knowledge of fishes and their habitat. Neil Pimento ,a professional deep sea diver ,explains “one needs to read the water .every location is different .One also needs to have a good knowledge of fishes, their habitat and their eating patterns which decides the use of baits, shags and lures.” Neil was a winner of the All India Angling under the maximum catch category .The competition was held in Harihareshwar in November this year and anglers from all over the world took part in the competition

It would be unreasonable to label anglers as hunters. Sanjay Nagarkar,a passionate angler says “An angler would never want water bodies to be devoid of fishes. Some of the fisheries that have been setup to breed endangered species have been the result of anglers love for fish.” More anglers anoint the punctured wound of the fish with antibiotics and release the fish back in to water after reviving them ,he adds .besides ,angling do not to go fish sporting during the breeding season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Angling could be your way of connecting and reaching out to nature.
(There were two beautiful colour-full photographs one of Our Mukund and other, i had seen but not recollecting, photographs are already are there on this Forum . Hi mukund if you can post those photographs?my scaner not working.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
Neil Pimento ,a professional deep sea diver ,explains “one needs to read the water .every location is different .One also needs to have a good knowledge of fishes, their habitat and their eating patterns which decides the use of baits, shags and lures.” Neil was a winner of the All India Angling under the maximum catch category .The competition was held in Harihareshwar in November this year and anglers from all over the world took part in the competition

Now I know why Neil won it twice in a row ... secret shags eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: thanks..
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:05 pm 

Hey..Thanks for posting, Coz I almost forgot to read this article on the net.
Good to hear that the number of anglers in poona are increasing :)
IndianAngler.com has played a major role in this :)
I am in this coz of IA too :D
Thanks to all the moderators and members.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:47 pm 

I really appreciate being on this article ! I will definately try to get the article scanned. I have exams going on, otherwise would be been much quicker !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Nair Sir was to post this.. but he's in Banglore for a wedding..
that was part of my PR work.. pune times would not write about any other city..
my next target is Mumbai, Banglore....

regards pranav..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:32 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
Neil Pimento ,a professional deep sea diver ,explains “one needs to read the water .every location is different .One also needs to have a good knowledge of fishes, their habitat and their eating patterns which decides the use of baits, shags and lures.” Neil was a winner of the All India Angling under the maximum catch category .The competition was held in Harihareshwar in November this year and anglers from all over the world took part in the competition

Now I know why Neil won it twice in a row ... secret shags eh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEIL WAS TELLING ME - SOMEONE WILL CATCH.... LOL..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Bloody hell having a tough time trying to convince people tat i am no Sex Maniac.......Shads ....Shads....Shads......!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
sanjaysomkuwar wrote:

Nice one Fred :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Good work Pranav. Keep it up. Would appreciate if you also mention about Indian Angler forum which is the main promoter of sport angling.

Regards,

Ali. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

i did try Ali Bhai..
infact the reporter had mentioned the name of this forum in the artical.. but the editor made changes.. saying the times group does not do any free publicity..
i told these guys that there is no registertion or any fee charged on the forum.. but he said he's sorry and that - it's company policy..
will try for mumbai and banglore..

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

below is the web link of the artical,

please note that the artical was published on the 10th of dec 2009 - front page or page one

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Daily/skins/TOINEW/navigator.asp?Daily=TOIPU&showST=true&login=default&pub=TOI&AW=1260770851296

Post subject: Pune Times article
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks to all the hard work put in by Pranav to ensure that Angling got an exposure in the media. While speaking to Amit Durgapal, I too had requested him to mention that we are all part of the Indian Angler group, but I believe it was edited out. The reporter had no idea about angling & I was quite apprehensive about how he would interpret our remarks. Luckily no major goof-ups except for the "Shag" part.
Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Pranav for the great PR work for popularising the sports in Pune , :lol: I could not thank you earlear as i was also bussy at nagpur came back tody only. And thanks to Col. Nair (Our- cavalir) ! we All will certainly try to promote the name of this great forum. :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Cheers pranav good work done really appreciate your efforts keep it on mate [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject: Optimistic.....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

tenx10 wrote:
i did try Ali Bhai..
infact the reporter had mentioned the name of this forum in the artical.. but the editor made changes.. saying the times group does not do any free publicity.. i told these guys that there is no registertion or any fee charged on the forum.. but he said he's sorry and that - it's company policy..

regards,
pranav..

Parnav, Ali bhai ,I'm quit optimestic .A time will come when our Indian Angler forum will command and not demand ! It will become famous sites/service as yahoo twetter etc. on internet arena. The fact that Angling is fast catching up, they just can not ignor but to publish it on front page

Post subject: Re: Optimistic.....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:44 pm 
Fishaholic

sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
tenx10 wrote:
i did try Ali Bhai..
infact the reporter had mentioned the name of this forum in the artical.. but the editor made changes.. saying the times group does not do any free publicity.. i told these guys that there is no registertion or any fee charged on the forum.. but he said he's sorry and that - it's company policy..

regards,
pranav..

Parnav, Ali bhai ,I'm quit optimestic .A time will come when our Indian Angler forum will command and not demand ! It will become famous sites/service as yahoo twetter etc. on internet arena. The fact that Angling is fast catching up, they just can not ignor but to publish it on front page
hear hear [smilie=upyeah.gif] [smilie=upyeah.gif]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 am 
Fishaholic

sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
A time will come when our Indian Angler forum will command and not demand ! It will become famous sites/service as yahoo twetter etc. on internet arena. The fact that Angling is fast catching up, they just can not ignor but to publish it on front page

Err Sanjay, how large was the last fish you caught? :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:00 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
sanjaysomkuwar wrote:
A time will come when our Indian Angler forum will command and not demand ! It will become famous sites/service as yahoo twetter etc. on internet arena. The fact that Angling is fast catching up, they just can not ignor but to publish it on front page

Hey Bobster ,,, when was the last fish you caught mate :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Not for a while Fred, I have given up fishing, will be giving away my tackle when I come down next.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
sanjaysomkuwar wrote:

Hi bobby!
(as already said in this forum ) A FISH IS A FISH size dosent matter . :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Post subject: Righto
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

In Lonavala and Pune, does the cold December/Jan months affect the fishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
will be giving away my tackle when I come down next.

Remember me? No? Please do try and remember. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Not for a while Fred, I have given up fishing, will be giving away my tackle when I come down next.

Will you be down for Christmas ? :lol:

You could dress up like Santa while giving them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Will you be down for Christmas ? :lol:

You could dress up like Santa while giving them away.

come on mate stop being greedy you live in Dubai and can get good quality tackle any time let bobby distribute his among us RI's instead of NRI's. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: What you say bobby :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

I think Bobby should have a lottery. We should all buy tickets and Bobby should decide what to do with the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby needs to hear the scream of the drag goin full on.......he will change his mind......!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Keep the Finor collection for me. Give away everything else.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
you live in Dubai and can get good quality tackle any time let bobby distribute his among us RI's instead of NRI's. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: What you say bobby :?: :?:

Rajat, greedy ?

I'm surprised that you assumed that. Probably you didnt read my question / statement properly.

Any harm in Bobby dressing like Santa during christmas ?

[smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Please Bobby, Stella ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Please Bobby, Stella ... :D
sorry bro that would be surely a lottery item :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: bobby :?: :?: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

Hmmmm.... I think it will also be a very nice story for the media that a senior angler, dressed up as santa distributing fishing tackles.. :lol: :lol:

Bobby, incase i can help you to change your mind, here is the good news. The fishes are returning to your home hunt. I caught a good snapper last week from a rock where no one belived that snapper existed and last night Scott landed a 8kg Barra from the rocks. All in Mumbai man.. Our old good mumbai... :D :D :D

Come and we will go fishing :wink:

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

That is good news Ali, however, there are so manythings happening now it is difficult for me to make a trip to Bombay. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

here goes our angler Santa :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:44 pm 

Hi Bobby,

I don't mind picking up the tackle from your place ............. happy to help

william

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:46 am 
Fishaholic

William Vaz wrote:
Hi Bobby,

william

Your all heart William, taking all that trouble and bearing such severe inconvenience :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
William Vaz wrote:
Hi Bobby,

william

Your all heart William, taking all that trouble and bearing such severe inconvenience :lol: :wink:

Fluff everyone Bobster .. ill fly down to ole Honky myself ....in a red coat and a white beard and pack everything personally .... and even jingle "my bells " while I sing "silent night " for you Bobster .... that is if this one is true ... Merry Christmas Mate ... love to the family ,,, Good health always ... and may the force be with you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Bobby wrote:
William Vaz wrote:
Hi Bobby,

william

Fluff everyone Bobster .. ill fly down to ole Honky myself ....in a red coat and a white beard and pack everything personally .... and even jingle "my bells " while I sing "silent night " for you Bobster .... that is if this one is true ... Merry Christmas Mate ... love to the family ,,, Good health always ... and may the force be with you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
now what you do bobby ?:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: hohohohohoho merry Christmas :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that really cracked me up Freddy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Merry Christmas to you guys, most of the tackle in at my In-Laws in Bombay, only a couple of Big Game reels and rods here with some light spinning tackle here. You are most welcome to Honkers Fred, the Turkey and eggnog is on me.

But honestly I owe one IA member a spinning Rod when I come down, but I just cannot make the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:57 pm 

hey bobby,

I am stationed in HK. With this Xmas offer, i can pick up all your tackle on behalf of all the boarders. Don't mind the taking the trouble for such a generous offer .

find out a reason to ward us off ........... :-)

William

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

You still here william?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:25 am 

Hi

Came on 26th and will be till 6th jan

William

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 am 
Fishaholic

Let's catch up for a drink, you have my number call me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm 
Fishaholic

i came across this artical while surfing the net.. don't know who wrote it..
its on www.punesite.com

Pune is an abuzz with abundant activities in its natural vicinity. A less-known but more exciting activity Pune is fond of nowadays is Sport Fishing. At the city’s local water bodies, you will find people angling patiently to catch their favorite fish.

The sport fishing might be unadventurous for people who have already enjoyed it, but for youngsters, who have not tested the sport before, it is most exciting and exhilarating. Places like Bhima River, lakes in Lonavala, Khandala and in the city are haven for the anglers now and are becoming a favorite spot on weekends. Among the variety of fish anglers catch are like mirgul, catfish, catla, and murrel.

What’s more, people are becoming more interested to learn the sport and enjoy the angling. Some folks are also looking fishing as a special weekend hangout activity which enables them to spend their time happily- catching fish and enjoying angling.

Fishing, for some people may seem a game of chance rather than skill, but that is not the case at all. Col Pratap, a veteran angler says “what skills one requires for fishing is handling of the hook and keeping your patience in control. If you have mastered these two things, you can be a good angler.”

The budding anglers may take a long time to brush up their fishing skills of handling rod and reel, but once learned it’s tempting and one can not stop oneself angling.
An angler can easily land a fish of 5 to 6 kgs if he/she is skilled at the handling of reel. As you go on landing a fish, you become even more cautious and full of patience as a fish may play a game with you.

“It’s a very engaging sport,” says Pranav Waghchavare, who got addicted to the sport long back. Earlier he would go with his friend, to learn how to lure the fish. Having been trained in the fishing sport, he does not need anybody to teach as he has mastered the angling skills. Angling is not a sport that takes a lot of effort to learn, but what it needs is the knowledge of fishes and their habitat. If you are looking forward to fish in deep waters of the sea, then you must read water first as every location differs, same is the case with angling.

Neil, who has won the all India Salt Water Competition held at Harihareshwar in November, says,

One needs to know the variety of fishes first and then you learn their behavioral skills such as their location, eating habits and location most of the time they stay in
This competition is held every year at the same place where anglers from all over the world participate. I think angling is becoming demanding sport and it should be introduced in all sports clubs all over the country, says Neil.

Well, we can’t say whether angling will be introduced in sports club or not but sport fishing should not be considered lesser important for its a thousand year old profession.
Angling could be a way for all human beings to reconnect and care for nature which is a need of the day today. This will also educate people of the frequently occurring changes.

regards,
pranav..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

tenx10 wrote:
i came across this artical while surfing the net.. don't know who wrote it..
its on www.punesite.com
pranav..

Ask Neil :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm 
Fishaholic

tenx10 wrote:
Nair Sir was to post this.. but he's in Banglore for a wedding..
that was part of my PR work.. pune times would not write about any other city..
my next target is Mumbai, Banglore....

regards pranav..

the article of punesite seems to be almost same... Is it you only Pranav :?:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Not me .but those are my quotes...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

hey mr. sanjay,