->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Fella Anglers,

The fishing season has begun in Dubai. Well we started late though. Yesterday we went offshore. Just the four of us. Me, Keyur, Agnelo and the Boat. Enough room and no fish finders but we carried along the instincts of an angler. Tried trolling and were hoping to hear the reel sing but we were terribly wrong the reel had a sore throat. But it did sing for a while and thats cause the lines got tangled. Cost us a bit of time to get it sorted. Soon we decided to do some bottom fishing and dropped our lines with shrimp as bait, the captain was using sabiki a few moments later Keyur pulls out a small bream good for the pan. For the rest of us we had a dry day I guess no nibbling no movements. The bait came back intact. It was time for another spot. Got a feeding frenzy in sight rushed to that spot and started dropping our lines. Got my rig ready with shrimp on it open the bail arm, released the line and was waiting to hit the bottom. The line ran out of my spool at a very high speed and I knew something had taken my bait. I hastily dropped the bail arm and the creature was pulling the line even on a good drag. I tightened the drag and used my palm to add some more drag. Took me approx 5 to 6 mins to surface the fish and there it was a good size Catfish weighed less than 2 kgs though.

Till then the rest were silent and no news from downunder. I had another strike and got it hooked. This one made me struggle. Every 2 mins it took a deep dive with my rod tip taking being submerged in water. It was a good fight for a while and I managed to get it to the surface and lo behold what I saw on the surface actually shocked me. My eyes paused for a while whilst the other two lad were saying something which I did not hear. It was a Trevally, the fish I sought. I was all confused with Keyur trying to use the landing net and I was trying to get the rod in a good position to get the fish closer. Even before the net could kiss the fish it threw the hook :( and sadness prevailed on the boat. With Keyur cursing me with his unwanted comments and I was cursing him in my mind saying why he did not have a long rod for that landing net :) It was a disappointment which I could not reveal but just gulped it down slowly. :)

Time for the third spot, Once again the captain and me got a strike. The captain was dragging something on his sabiki rig whilst I was fighting the fish. The captain landed a good size queen fish in no time and was helping me and the other anxious lad was waiting with the net ready. After odd 6 to 7 mins it was another cat fish but slightly bigger than the first one. Now I was feeling good and hope the trevally would strike again. But then it never happened and we tried a few other spots trying to hook a good hamour. But I guess that was it we called it a day.

A few pics of the cath:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:46 pm 
Fishaholic

CONGRATS
Tight lines
Cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Dude,

I was cursing you cos you got soooooo excited & forgot your basics.

Last edited by Keyur on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Dude,

Keyur wrote:
I was cursing you cos you got soooooo excited & forgot your basics.

GOD forgot the basics??? I would not have landed the other 2 catfish duh.

And the drag. Sir I set the drag good enough for a sultan ibrahim never expected a trevally to hit LOL

And lifting the fish out of water ??? Duh that was an oversized rod we were fishing with and trying to get it in the open to get the fish closer to the boat resulted in the fish being lifted up. Hope this clarifies your doubts. Catch ya later alligator :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Good one guys! That is the way to start the season.