->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Urgent Feedback Required
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:51 pm 

Greetings,

I have finally managed to get some respite from work and am heading out to Tarkarli for the forthcoming long weekend. I plan to do some serious fishing there.

Could anyone give me some advice on how to arrange for a boat there and if someone has any contacts there who could help with the boat.

Are there any spots there from where you can fish from the shore or one has to head out in a boat to the reefs.

Also, this is my first serious attempt at sea fishing so any advice would be welcome.

Considering that the departure is scheduled for thursday night (which is day after tomorrow), please try and respond before that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Ashwyn,

If you have booked your accomodation at MTDC then try the estuary at the spot where MTDC anchor their Cruzing Boats. From my first hand experience, I would suggest that you try bait fishing using a small hook and Mackerel (Bangda) fillet pieces and use bottom ledgering method. You are sure to hook MJ (Mangrove Jack).

For bait, you can get bangda from local market. Fillet them and wrap it up in newspaper, so that the water is absorbed and the bait does not get unhooked easily. You can keep this bait overnight in newspapers for better performance.

You may try spinning with lures as well.

About the hiring of a boat, talk to those Boat people who take the tourists for Dolphin watch. I have no idea about their charges per hour. But a word of caution: If the sea is rough, do not venture in boat. Because at present the Monsoon is again active and the sea is not calm.

All the Best and Tight Lines!

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Had a talk with my friends there to know how the water is.. DONT go on the reef... stay in the estuary, do bait fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 am 

Arunji, Santosh,

Thanks a lot for advice, really appreciated. Estuary it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Try at the mouth of the estuary.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

spoonangler wrote:
Try at the mouth of the estuary.

Spoonangler.

Abhi, the whole sandbar has shifted. The beach is not even 5 % in area of what it was 2 years back. Very deep water near the beach now. And the waves come from all three sides.

Ashwyn, you can try bait fishing there. Night should be a good time, but be very careful.

Since its your first time, I will suggest that you fish the place where the house boats are docked. For sure you will get MJ’s and grouper. I have myself pulled a 18 Kg grouper from a place that is 2 Km up in the estuary.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:54 pm 

Thanks a lot for the tips Santosh. I was seeing some of your posts about your earlier trips to Tarkarli. Saw you fishing from some kind of a jetty.

I was planning on doing some fishing from there, do you think this is a good idea. Also, is the time right to cast out some lures or should I strictly stick with bait fishing.