->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Perseverence Pays
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Helloooo fellow anglers,

I wanted to share a short story, on perseverance and lading my biggest sol yet.

If you have been following the weather, you would know that afterr a rather dry spell, Delhi and Haryana was blessed with some heavy downpour a couple of weeks back. So of course, the first thing on my mind was sol, sol and more sol. But unfortunately the rains had been so heavy, that we had to put off the sol plan as the roads had been completely washed out, at our regular joint. A mid-week trip too was planned with Ken, which had to be abandon due to Ken's dubious antics !!! So frustration levels were running dangerously high.

And finally we (Gavin, Ken and myself) were all set to hit the waters yesterday. Getting there was a joy because saw these canals full and flocks of cormorants slashing about, which until now i had only seen as parched weed beds. Eventually we reached our spot and realised that because of the increased water levels, spots where we could cast from were very limited. But, we cast around with our usual lures, scumfrogs. We spent a couple of hours without any of us landing anything, except for a strike from a biggie on Gavins frog. So obviously we were all a little dissapointed as we were expecting loads of action and instead hadn't managed anything after three or hours of fishing.

So i decided to change from the conventional and put on a fat spoon instead of a frog, and instead of targeting the hyacinth and the reed beds (which what we usually do) i decided to spin in a nice stretch of open water. The water looked promising, and every time i was retrieving the spoon i would see it come back, looking like an injured fish, and i kept saying to myself " If, i were a fish, that would look like a really yummy injured fish". An hour so of this and my patience started to wear thin (not good if you are an angler, i know). By this time, luckily Ken had managed to get one sol to ensure that we did not return empty handed. Gavin, Ken and myself decided to take a break and rehydrate, during which we were discussing as to why we should keep at it, as "Perseverence, is the key", as we had been fishing for so much time and in spite of seeing loads of fish jumping all around us, we didn't have much to show for our efforts

Ten minutes after that, as i was retrieving, i felt a huge hit and after a relatively short (unfortunate sol characteristic), but intense fight, and some beautiful tailwalking, this is the 4.8kg beauty...

Moral of the story.... KEEP AT IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah! That smile sums it all up beautifully.

About spoons. Somehow we seem to forget the old fellas. They might be old and simple but do they work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 pm 
Enlightened

thats good! wonderful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

Very nice report and a fabulous fish. The best part of fishing is that this sport does not follow any pattern. When you are sure you are going to get bite after bite, you find nothing. At the same time when you lost all hpoes, out comes a beauty and make your day.

Keep it up and yes, perseverance is the Mantra.. :D

Congratulation on your PB murrel.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 am 
Fishaholic

Nice report Vikram and a splendid Murrel to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:51 am 

Hey Vikram,

Your absolutely right perseverance does pay off!, very good report. Congratulations on your catch, that's a quality Sol right there!. I can totally relate to your experience in catching this beautiful fish. Keep them coming in! .. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] :D

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

What a beauty you have caught. Congrats for the murrel.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am 
Fishaholic

Thats a beauty ... and yes I agree with Ken ... most of us forget the spoons .... but I always carry them with me and never fail to use them ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am 
Enlightened

Good one Vikram!!! That set of teeth would make any dentist proud!!! :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram,

That was a nice catch. Thanks for sharing the pic.

I got your pm and replied late. Sorry for that. Did you visit Deepor Beel?

Next time when you come to ghy, let me know. Sorry again for the late reply of your pm.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey nice catch, looks like a good fishing spot.

regards
saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:37 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts... and Kapil, those teeth on that day weren't even brushed. It would have been a blinding flash had i brushed before i left home !!

Apoo, no worries about the late PM, i have been equally lazy and not replied to your last one, sorry about that. But, i didn't end up going to Guwahati, else i would have definitely called you. And pls do call if if you are ever in the vicinity of Delhi.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 am 
Fishaholic

The smile says it all.. Good going..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Murrel!
yes the spoon is simply magic at times.

Jeen