->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hyson Infested Lakes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:43 pm 

I recently found a pretty big lake but the surface is completely covered with hyson.I found a spot on the side. The hyson there has been removed from just a small portion and i can see some small guppy/danio's there. I was always under the impression that hyson kills all fish in an area. The area with the hyson cleared is 8 feet+. Would there be some decent sized catfish or anything there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Put a live frog on the edge of hyacinth and you may get lucky. Heard there are lot of murrels in pune.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Hyacinth doesnt kill the fish. It gives them some place to hide from fishermen.

I fished among hyacinth as a kid & caught loads of murrel, carp, tilapia, catfish & turtles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:19 am 

I though it depletes the oxygen levels in water. About bait, last time i used earthworm, but we were there only for an hour or so, no catches. For frog, where would i hook it? And can i catch some of the guppy's swimming around and try using them as bait? Would a hook depth of about 6 feet from water surface be okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

I think it will deplete oxygen levels once it completely covers a water body. As long as there is some free water, oxygen exchange by wind action can occur.

As for your fishing on the water in question, have you tried plumbing the depth to see what the water levels in the lake are like? You may need to find out things like depth variation to work out where the fish are most likely to be. Otherwise they may simply swim around under the hyacinth leaves.
Catfish would most likely be on the bottom so legering a worm in the evening would be most likely to catch them. And they would be able to tolerate lower oxygen levels than guppies or danio.