->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: big red snapper
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

hi guys,
what is biggest tamushi or red snapper u guys fishing the konkan coast have caught....do 15 kgs red snapper exits....personal best o u guys :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 am 
Fishaholic

15kg MJ is a sure possibility. The largest ones I had contact with was one at night which took the lure about 6 - 10 feet away from me, proceeded to run the entire length of a 40 meter jetty when I could feel it rub the trace against the corner at the other end cut the end where the trace met the swivel. When I held the swivel to inspect it closely in the palm of my hand it just fell apart into several bits.

I cannot estimate how large that one was as I only saw the mouth gobble the lure in moonlight but I would guess it was over 10kgs for sure.

The second one was at high noon, came after a hooked 2 lb GT, all lit up she circled it twice deciding to hit it or not, and then made a dive. I was fishing with 6lb line, I put on a large crystal minnow and cast it immediately which it took, made a dive and cut me on the first run. I would say this fish was close to 15kgs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Fishing off the jetty with 6lb line?
quite, quite, quite an optimistic guy you are!!!!!!!!!!!
But, "lighter the gear, lighter the drag, better the fishing".
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

I have caught a 5 kg one. A dear friend (Prasad) has caught one which was over 8 Kg.
My friend from Ratnagiri told me that they caught a 12 Kg. one just few days back on hand line. These guys use live bait with thick mono line. They run backwards and yank the fish out.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

hi guys,

have seen some big MJ's at sasoon dock in mumbai that looked around 10-12kg. Nice looking fish and i can only imagine the scrap they would put up...sounds like bobby has had the pleasure already! :D sorry to hera they bust you mate. A 5kg fish puts up a great fight so a 15kg would be quite something.

I also met some guys while i was kayaking that claimed they regularly take mjs up to 15kg..i had my doubts but when they pulled a 20kg barra out of their hold and a fairly large mj followed by a big grouper i started to wonder!

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

The largest I ve landed is a 7.2 kg and 6.5 kg mangrove jacks . Both took the lures out on the reef and not in the estaury that you normally do ...Coloring was a blood red when landed ... much darker than the estaurine MJ's .. The locals call these mangrove jacks 'Lalbee "

Another one close to 8 kgs was this one

All three fought like crazy with one sitting in the rocks on the reef for over 15 minutes before he could be coaxed out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 pm 

Hai Fred,
Very good catch and nice photos. (also you are very good weight lifter) [smilie=upyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:33 am 
Fishaholic

ravinp58 wrote:
Hi Bobby,
Fishing off the jetty with 6lb line?
quite, quite, quite an optimistic guy you are!!!!!!!!!!!
But, "lighter the gear, lighter the drag, better the fishing".
Ravi

I was not fishing off a Jetty with 6lb line, that was away from the jetty and given we were catching small fish between 2 - 6 lb and that to on every second cast I switched to 6lb line.

The MJ at night that I lost was with 15lb line and the jetty is not regular "T" Jetty with pillars underneath, but a single block of bricks and mortar, the area around that jetty is sandy so using 6lb line from that jetty would not be difficult the only place where you could get cut off was if the fish ran around the jetty and she did just that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:37 am 
Fishaholic

FISHERMAN wrote:
Hai Fred,
Very good catch and nice photos. (also you are very good weight lifter) [smilie=upyeah.gif]

You should see Fred curling dumbells, he could zip from 16 - 60 in a blink of an eye. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And can someone please tell me what the hell is "Hai"? :roll: :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
You should see Fred curling dumbells, he could zip from 16 - 60 in a blink of an eye. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
And can someone please tell me what the hell is "Hai"? :roll: :-)

Bobby, get used to such words after Sec 377 legal cancellation. :lol: