->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Crabs.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

After many days of uneventful fishing, we went to a place called Wakra in Qatar. We were at the beach at about 4.30 am and while fishing in about 3 feet of water we caught a few small sherry’s and let them go. As the sun came up we were surprised to be surrounded with crabs. We were two of us so we caught about 10 each. We let all the small ones go, but there were others who filled up their bags with big and small crabs, wonder why people don’t think. Also there were others who were using spears to catch baby sting rays that were hardly 6 to 8 inches in diameter, what a waste.
I am attaching one pic of a crab we caught.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8103/crab2.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 am 
Fishaholic

Yeah! There are some strange ways for people to catch crabs. he he he

Post subject: Strange?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Strange? Like what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

Like mixing about with the wrong kind of people :lol: :lol: why do you think MK keeps his hair so short :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I haven't seen MK, so I dont know why. What are the right kind of people?

Post subject: kind of people?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:

If you have to be told then you are pretty safe, just ignore the mahaseer he's been locked at work too long. :lol:

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:32 am 

I have seen something similar to that i chennai Ennore river mouth on a cyclone day. Crabs lots of them very close to the shore it was a feast for the fishermen who were there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:30 am 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:

The ones with without crabs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:11 pm 
Fishaholic

And I thought I was asking some serious fishermen and not fishermean. That was a good laugh fellows, now get serious.
Thanks Madhanbob, I will check the same bay in the next sand/dust storm when the winds really pick up and see if they show up again.
MK & Bob, we caught these bare handed, I was bitten by one and I hope I dont catch anything you guys are talking about :lol: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm 
Enlightened

Wow!
These are blue swimmer crabs and the best way to eat them is chilli crab.. it is a bit on the light side but great for weight watchers and for those who enjoy the taste of crab meat on its own without being smothered in spices

CHILLI BLUE SWIMMER CRABS Clean out the crabs, and cut them into fours. Finely slice a small piece of ginger and some fresh hot red chillies (green will do too) and chop some corriander. Take a thick bottomed pan with a lid. Put the pot on high flame and let it get very hot. Throw in the cleaned crabs and when they crackle a bit put some brandy (if its handy) & throw in the ginger, chillies and 1 cup of water per crab (you can put fresh coconut milk if you want a coconutty taste). Cover it with a lid and let it cook for exactly 60 seconds. Remove the lid and put in the corriander leaves, salt and peper to taste. Serve in flat soup bowls and dig in...

Those who want a drier preperation should remove the cooked crabs and reduce the gravy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Kapil, that sounds yummy. I will try that with the next crabbing trip. We probably will take the BBQ pit along. This weekend we visited another pier in the east end of Qatar. Nothing much, but our bait was stolen by garfish, about half a meter long. They had teeth that would make their dentist proud. All released to the wide ocean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 am 

Adolph wrote:
Thanks Kapil, that sounds yummy. I will try that with the next crabbing trip. We probably will take the BBQ pit along. This weekend we visited another pier in the east end of Qatar. Nothing much, but our bait was stolen by garfish, about half a meter long. They had teeth that would make their dentist proud. All released to the wide ocean.

I guess these are common crab in the waters of Qatar, a friend of mine caught this one at Corniche.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

Now that is one beautiful creature. And he turns better once he gets a bit of garlic and butter on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

I like the taste of Black Mud Crabs the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:50 pm 
Enlightened

Mahaseerken wrote:
Now that is one beautiful creature. And he turns better once he gets a bit of garlic and butter on.

Oh yes! Garlic and butter with a splash of white wine thrown in for good measure is absolutely heaven. Match it with a crisp Chardonnay and a small side of mixed green leaf salad and you have a nice afternoon happening!

These Blue swimmer crabs are a speciality fom the coast of South Australia. (Just like Hilsa is to Bangladesh)I have spent many an outing with my friends (whenever I have been to Adelaide), on the Glenlg jetty catching them using crab nets baited with chicken chicken gut. On a good day, in less than an hour one can catch at least 8-10 of these beauties. In season the average crab is 5-6" across the shell and about 300-400gm each....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I have to try that bloody crab trap soon it's been setting for quite some time now :idea: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Try this it is really good I make it all the time, female crabs with eggs inside taste far better.

Singapore Black Pepper Crab Recipe.

Sauce:
1 Cup Chicken Stock (you can use Chicken powder with water to make it if you do not have fresh stock)
1 Tsp Sugar
2 Tbsp Black Pepper Powered.
Some Ginger Crushed say 50 grms or Ginger Juice.
A couple strands of spring onion chopped fine (Optional)
¼ cup Chinese Rice Wine (Show Shing Wine)

Mix the lot together.

6 Crabs cleaned (do not take out the orange/yellow eggs from inside the top shell if they are there, Indian cooks murder this)

Heat some oil in a wok till really hot
Throw in the crabs and stir-fry till red
Pour the sauce into the mix and continue to fry on a high flame till slightly dry.

Once dry you can add more black pepper powder (as much as you fancy)

Get adventurous, add some more wine and flambé

Serve hot.

You do not need to add salt as that comes from the chicken stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:38 pm 
Enlightened

That's made my mouth water Bobby! reminded me of having this style of crab prepration in Lantau island after picking up a couple of real huge mud crabs from the glass tank...... The crab roe was interesting...

There was a time I used to attend the HK international food festival every year at the convention Centre at Kowloon from 1992-96 and what a gastronomic treat it was...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Kapil Chandok wrote:
That's made my mouth water Bobby! reminded me of having this style of crab prepration in Lantau island after picking up a couple of real huge mud crabs from the glass tank...... The crab roe was interesting...

There was a time I used to attend the HK international food festival every year at the convention Centre at Kowloon from 1992-96 and what a gastronomic treat it was...

You probably had Crab with black bean paste, not black pepper, I have come across only 2 places in Hong Kong where they sell black pepper crab, one restraunt (in Wanchai) and the other one at my place :lol: the type of restraunts you describe in Lantau, Sai Kung and Lei yuen mun do not sell black pepper crab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 am 
Enlightened

Yeah, that was probably black beans with a good sprinkling of pepper as we were a "gwailo' Aussie group. But one place where I have had a really nice chilli crab was at Tim Sa Choi near Peking road in a restaurant called Hutong. The food there was very northern Chinese (spicy) vis a vis the local Cantonese fare... The view from the restaurant was absolutely fantastic!

But then I guess your Pepper crabs would be the ultimate.... :D :D :D

Post subject: male/female
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

"Try this it is really good I make it all the time, female crabs with eggs inside taste far better."

How do we tell male from female crabs? No puns please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Female crabs wear skirts :lol: :lol:

Well here are some upskirt pictures for all you pervs:

Male Crab:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

bobby
thanks for the recipe pal sounds really good will try it asap :D :D

Post subject: Sorry!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks there guys, loads of info here :D . Oh, very sorry Bops, didn't intend this to be a cook book :lol: , but I'm going to try out all those tasty ideas as I have time and crabs a-plenty, (Now since I am able to catch them bare handed :twisted: ). Once bitten twice shy didn't work out for me. Now since we know the male/female thing (thanks to Bobby) we are planning to keep a tally of the ratio, so we can release accordingly. Perhaps a little study which might not help anyone, but at the same time will not harm anyone either 8) . Who knows!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:34 am 
Fishaholic

Over here eating crabs can be a bit of a science, especially with the Fresh Water Shanghai Mitten Crab, they are small little buggers, largest are about 4 inches across and cost a fortune. You go for the fat and eggs more than the actual flesh. They are seasonal, you eat the females during the 1st half of the season and the males in the second half.

They steam them with some herbs and serve with a sweet vinegar dip.

The fat is so prized that the crabs are tied and transported and kept like that till the time they are eaten. They do this as they do not want the crab to walk around and burn fat. I understand they are even handfed tied up (though I cannot understand how this is done).

I have had them a few times, simply delicious..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 am 
Enlightened

I totally agree with Bobby. Hong Kong has to be the gastronomical capital of Asia. Honkies (as some of my Singaporian friends call them) are madly obsessed with food and the more expensive, the better. Alcohol with food in Hong Kong is ok but not to the level one drinks in Europe or Australia - the whole focus is on food, food, food!

I think I might have tried one of these crabs - they had hairy claws and at first I thought that they had some kind of disease- its about 14 years ago. I was invited by parents of one of my collegue to their apt on Seymour Road in Hong Kong and her mother had made these crabs very simply steamed (as Bobby mentioned) with some sort of dipping sauce (which I can't remember) as I usually like the taste of steamed crab meat on its own without even any salt. They mentioned that these crabs were from Shanghai (as most of the seafood was imported into HK). I didn't realise that they were a delicacy and costed a fortune. Only when I returned to Melbourne did my friend mention that they are worth their weight in gold as I told her about the hairy claws!

So now i know they were Shanghai Mitten crabs...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Show me the way to Hong Kong. Let me go, let me go...... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I have been to Wakra beach some time back but unfortunatly was not able to fish there. Great beach. ideal for bait fishing..

Is the Hukka joint still there..

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm 
Fishaholic

guys stop it please i am likely to start walking towards HK at this rate [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=yum.gif] [smilie=sex0ring.gif] [smilie=sex0ring.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 am 
Enlightened

Rajat, I guess we are passionate about fishing and passionate about food too. I have inherited my Dad's genes. We live to eat.

Dad was commanding a battalion in North Bengal and one of the workshop OC was Major Chaterjee. We would drive 150kms for 3 hours to have fish curry for lunch on Sundays. All Aunty would serve us was "macher jhol" and rice. That's it. Basic, simple, comfort food. But that taste of her lunches still lingers in my mouth after 30 years... the soft spongy texture of sweet Rohu fillets with the flavour of mustard oil and turmeric on the outside... the almost water like consistency of the amazing gravy tempered with mustard seeds and chillies; poured over aromatic long grain basmati rice... it was heaven for me and Dad!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:52 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
I have been to Wakra beach some time back but unfortunatly was not able to fish there. Great beach. ideal for bait fishing..

Is the Hukka joint still there..

Regards,

Ali.

You wont believe it till you see it. Apparently Wakra is being developed into a beach resort, so the fishing may not last for long. Most of the places alongside are razed to the ground and digging on the beach has commenced. I will try to get you some pics, though that may have legal issues. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Kapil Chandok wrote:
Rajat, I guess we are passionate about fishing and passionate about food too. I have inherited my Dad's genes. We live to eat.

Dad was commanding a battalion in North Bengal and one of the workshop OC was Major Chaterjee. We would drive 150kms for 3 hours to have fish curry for lunch on Sundays. All Aunty would serve us was "macher jhol" and rice. That's it. Basic, simple, comfort food. But that taste of her lunches still lingers in my mouth after 30 years... the soft spongy texture of sweet Rohu fillets with the flavour of mustard oil and turmeric on the outside... the almost water like consistency of the amazing gravy tempered with mustard seeds and chillies; poured over aromatic long grain basmati rice... it was heaven for me and Dad!!!

well bro all i can say if you happen to be in Mumbai any day call on me I don't know about the aunty's jhol but i think i will mange to put together a decent enough meal for you guys to remember the good old days :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

Arrrrrrrrgh! It's only 11 and I am starving. But atleast I know what I am having for lunch. Machchar jhol, Pabda, Aloo bhaja here I come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:15 am 
Enlightened

rajatmukherje wrote:
Kapil Chandok wrote:

well bro all i can say if you happen to be in Mumbai any day call on me I don't know about the aunty's jhol but i think i will mange to put together a decent enough meal for you guys to remember the good old days :D :D

Thanks Rajat! i will definitely take you up on that offer when I next in Mumbai after the monsoons!! [smilie=yum.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Tomorrow is the last fishing trip and it is going to be a while before I fish again. I have full intentions of taking along IA Luqman on this trip :wink: . I cant wait to write about it, so this is a request to all you guys to keep your fingers and <in this case> fishing rods crossed and wish us luck. Thank you.
Enjoy the rain guys, we are at 46 degree celsius outside. Peak Summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:39 pm 
Enlightened

gud luck Adolph! I hope you get some nice ones. Sorry, the thread moved on to cooking and gastronomic adventurism!

46c is cool man! When I used to work at Al Bustan Palace hotel in Muscat, Oman in the mid 80's I used to fish every afternoon during my breakshift and it would go upto 49c in the summer... On another note we have fried eggs on the bonnet of cars in the Simpson desert (Aus) in 50c scorchers!!!

Post some pix!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Kapil Chandok wrote:
gud luck Adolph! I hope you get some nice ones. Sorry, the thread moved on to cooking and gastronomic adventurism!

it would go upto 49c in the summer... On another note we have fried eggs on the bonnet of cars in the Simpson desert (Aus) in 50c scorchers!!!

Post some pix!

Kapil, no need for apologies mate. I am enjoying this a lot, and frankly speaking I did not know how to prepare these crabs so I have been requesting my friends to cook them for me, now I can do this myself, so thanks a ton everyone.
In Kuwait desert towards Abdally we have had temp reaching 60's also in Oman in a place called lekhwair it reaches above that. I have fished in Oman too, but not there near the Bustan, the only reason we went to the Bustan was for BEER :P .
Thanks, tight lines mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:22 am 

Adolph wrote:
Tomorrow is the last fishing trip and it is going to be a while before I fish again. I have full intentions of taking along IA Luqman on this trip :wink: . I cant wait to write about it, so this is a request to all you guys to keep your fingers and <in this case> fishing rods crossed and wish us luck. Thank you.
Enjoy the rain guys, we are at 46 degree celsius outside. Peak Summer.

That was a great evening for me, I learned a lot of techniques from Adolph. He certainly is a pro.

Although we could not land any big fish due to the jetskiers, one of the fellow angler(martin) managed to catch some nice fish for mid night snack.

I took some pics of the spot, will post them here in couple of days.

So, who wants to see the pic of Adolph?????? :D Edited - No SMS Language please[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

mdluqman wrote:

That was a great evening for me, I learned a lot of techniques from Adolph.
So, who wants to see the pic of Adolph?????? :D Edited - No SMS Language please[/code]

Well as long as you learn something good its fine :D . Thanks for not posting my pic. If you have some pics of nice fish then do post. This is a fishing forum :-) . This Thu/Fri if the dust settles and the wind is low we shall hit the beach again or maybe Intercon. See you there, there's a lot more to learn.

Post subject: Crabs.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the cooking lessons gentlemen. I thought I knew it all, but that Pepper crab sounds really really good Bobby. The chilli crab from Kapil is a little different to our traditional home recipe but am sure it will taste just as good if not better. Those crab pics are excellent.Can i ask where d they came from? Seems like you just caught them from your salt water tank and turned them over for a quick pic?!It is worth mentioning that the rules are very strict here re legal size, taking of females as one can have their car, boat and trailer impounded indefinitely if caught by fisheries inspectors with females[crabs that is] and or undersized males[110mm across the carapace i think]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 pm 

Hi to all the Wakra (Qatar) members
i too fish at Wakra on weekends(Fri), we should meet some time for tips.
the only fish I caught at Wakra are some gar fish. nothing else.
ciao [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Glen, that recipe for pepper crab is really good, try it but use mud crabs. If you do not get Show Shing or Zhou Zhing wine, substitute with any Chinese rice wine.

The Pictures were pillaged, so I cannot take the credit for that. I normally trapped all the crabs in my tanks and got rid of them using a plastic bottle and some dry fish for bait, they can be a real pain knocking the corrals over, and even eating them and can be a havoc when they grow large and they do grow fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
and can be a havoc when they grow large and they do grow fast.

Experience ?????!!!!!!

Post subject: Jet Skis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Yesterday was another waste of a beautiful day. We went to the beach near the intercon and there were so many Jet skis/water scooters that there was no place to stand. (Literally, as the 4X4's were parked right at the water edge so that getting jetski's in/out of the sea would be easy). :roll:
So no crabs or fish. Is this a bad omen? Since the time we have talked about cooking them, we haven't caught any. :o I was actually looking forward to trying out those recipes. Now Im off, fishing in the supermarket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Bobby wrote:
and can be a havoc when they grow large and they do grow fast.

Experience ?????!!!!!!

A certain gent from Chimbai can swear to that...believe he still got the scars from the bad shave to prove it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
he still got the scars

I must have been lucky then, I got a few nips but no scars to show. I have to be more careful. Bob, can we have pics of these scars you mention?
I remember one incident when I caught a crab in murky water and another crab (It was below the first one) caught my thumb. Lucky the bugger caught my nail and I did not get cut, just a small puncture. I lost both of them, but I guess they were ..... doing it? :oops: I dint have the upskirt pics you posted, to know at the time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 am 
Fishaholic

Well Fred, can you send Adloph the pictues ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 am 

whoah, great therad this. Yup, am waiting to try mud crabs with the pepper masala .
Dunno about macher jhol, had some awesome behtki in Guwahati ,the taste of the mustard still lingers...look what you guys ahve done-now i'll have to go get me a sandwich or something-drool drool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Well Fred, can you send Adloph the pictues ........

I threw out all your old photographs Bobster :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Ha ha ha. So now there is a controversy on who done it? :lol: