->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:45 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Pondicherry
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 am 
Enlightened

Hi, this is for anybody looking to fish at Pondicherry. There's this pier just a little way off from the one near Seagull. This one is open to anybody and extends out about 100m into the sea. This is at the rivers mouth going into the fishing harbour. It does hold promise though the last outing here yielded no results. If anyone else has fished here as well post your comments please. Pics are on the link below http://s692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... ndicherry/
[/img][/url]

Post subject: pondicherry fishing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Wingz

let me know when you plan to make a trip to pondi, I could join you if you want.

Regards

Pandim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:25 am 
Enlightened

Hi Pandim,
That would be wonderful. Are you based in Pondicherry or Chennai or around here. Lets plan up for some time when the tide's right and in the morning. I hopefully will be able to arrange a boat to go out to sea because my friend there knows a few fishermen. Fishing off the shore does'nt seem to be yielding much results. anyway I'm happy to go with anything as long as we're fishing. PM me and lets work out a plan.
Cheers

Post subject: pondicherry fishing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

Fantastic

I've sent you mail on your gmail id.

Regards
David

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Hi WINGZ,

I have tried my luck in the pier you have mentioned. I managed to catch couple of cat fishes of decent size. my biggest was around 4kgs Cat fish.

I have checked with the local fishermen over there, There used to catch barramundi and some snappers with live prawns.

Do let me know your trip plan, I will try to join you guys.

Pandim, Sorry i couldnt pick up your call. I was travelling. I will call you tonight.

Salmonmani

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm 
Enlightened

Hi salmonmani,
That's awesome . Personally prefer Barramundi to catfish. Now ... what's the local name for Barramundi ?
Pandim's up for it too so we should get out there soon. Let me know what you guys plan up.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Barramundi is called "Kuduva" in TAMIL. When you checked the place recently?

I went there three months back and it was totally polluted with full of plastic bags. How is the place now?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:41 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Salmonmani,
Koduva .... aha.... now that's interesting. I was there this last Sunday 7th June. The waters were clean but a little coloured maybe from the fresh water inflow. There's a guy in Mahabs who has live Prawns and good sized ones. Thing is now to get a can and aerator and keep them alive till Pondicherry through all that splashing along the way :!: Worth a try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Wingz and Mani

we'll need appropriate hooks for prawn, I've got size 4 & 6 mustad trebles but they're too big. also good to have a prawn pin for proper bait presentation.

we can check out the shop in royapuram for smaller but strong hooks. I need good quality swivels too.

Regards
Pandim

Post subject: prawn pin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am 
Enlightened

Hi pandim

would you be kind enough to explain how one uses a prawn pin to hold prawn more securely and is it possible to use them with live prawns and what exactly is its purpose

Vincent

Post subject: anybody
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:09 am 
Enlightened

Can anyone explain how a prawn pin is used, I have already straightened out a few hooks i have to look like a prawn pin as ssen on the net, but pray do show me how its done and how it works, hope there are no patent issues in staightening out hooks

vincent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:31 am 
Enlightened

Hi Pandim,
I dont know what a prawn pin is . I've used Mustad 2/0 hooks so far and that's for bigger prawns about 3 or 4 " . Thats rigged through the last or second last tail segment and I've found the prawns are alive for quite a bit so long as I dont do any power casts off the ground or pendulum. I prefer to do an easy cast quite close to the rocks ... not too near so the prawn can get under the rocks but just about 6 feet away or so. Most often the Koduva are close up to the rocks rather than in open water. For smaller prawns in freshwater I've used 16 size hooks hooked through the horn ( ?? ) on top of the prawns head.
These are just methods I've used before and it's been effective for me but I'm happy to try anything new as well. About the swivels I have quite a few so I can give you some, no worries.

Vincent,
That's a nice set of fish you got at Kochi . I must give you a call when I'm there next. Look forward to going fishing in those parts again.

Happy angling both of you
Cheers

Post subject: prawn pin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:33 am 
Enlightened

Hi guys

since nobody answered my question, i did a net search and found this page after a great deal of searching , thought i'd share this with you guys
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055383189

Post subject: Prawn Pins....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:57 pm 
Enlightened

Vincent...Good on ya for the research.... interesting reading. I reckon I'm too clumsy to rig it up like that :roll: ....so .... I'll stick to looking for the live ones. Look forward to hearing about your new catches with the shrimp rig. Happy fishing ....