->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:43 pm 

Hi Everyone,

As I am new to the region, I am trying to get a feel for the fishing opportunities here.

I have read elsewhere online that there are good opportunities for trout in the Nilgiris and elsewhere, but I also understand that some waters are closed to fishing.

When did this closing occur? Why did it occur? When will it end? How extensive is it? Any way to get around it? Are there any streams or lakes that are still open?

For my part, I plan to practice strict catch-and-release fly fishing. Would this enable me to fish any waters that might be closed to others? I only ask because there are zero-limit artificial-only and fly-only waters in the US, where I am from.

Thanks,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:49 am 
Enlightened

Valparai, Coimbatore dist(the place I am from) has a place called Grass Hills. Over there is a guest house and a small stream flowing in front of it.Trouts were stocked there by the British and even today there are trouts in considerable nos. I was there a few years back during summer and the stream was like 2 feet deep max. Did see a lot of them and managed to catch one too(grasshoppers were used as bait). Grass Hills is a part of the Indra Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary and as expected the formalities to get there are complicated. The ranger's office is situated in place called Pollachi which is 60kms from Valparai. You'll have to get get permission in advance to go there and the guest house I think is also avalable. The roads are not very motorable but we managed to reach there on a Sumo with a few scrapes. Apart from these I dont think there is any restriction to angling there.

Regards.....Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:17 am 
Enlightened

Hi,

Grass hills is closed for public long time back.Staying or fishing is not possible.

regards

Saravanan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:20 am 

AlexCref wrote:
Hi Everyone,
All trout fishing is banned in tamilnadu,which includes niligiris,kodaikanal,annamalais(grasshills), banned as all in in reserve forests/sancturies.Looks like now only TN govt officials have a ball fishing in restricted areas.
However in Kerala -Munnar-Tata Tea have got private waters .Pl contact Tatateafor further details.
As I am new to the region, I am trying to get a feel for the fishing opportunities here.

I have read elsewhere online that there are good opportunities for trout in the Nilgiris and elsewhere, but I also understand that some waters are closed to fishing.

When did this closing occur? Why did it occur? When will it end? How extensive is it? Any way to get around it? Are there any streams or lakes that are still open?

For my part, I plan to practice strict catch-and-release fly fishing. Would this enable me to fish any waters that might be closed to others? I only ask because there are zero-limit artificial-only and fly-only waters in the US, where I am from.

Thanks,
Alex