->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Angling in London
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:49 pm 
Enlightened

Hi All,

I will be in London for about 5 weeks starting mid June. Wanted some advice about the locations, regulations and possibility of pairing up with some IA members. I understand purchasing Environment Agency (EA) rod license is a compulsion. Is it OK to purchse it online ??? Any details would help....

Thanks,
Subha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Subha,

yes you can get your rod licence online from the Environment agency. I've paid 27 pounds for a yearly licence but it is possible to pick up a cheaper one for a day or a week. you can check cost on the EA website. Rod licences are compulsory and can also be bought from a post office which might suit you better as its very quick and easy.

The Fishing season opens in England on 16th june. This mainly applies to rivers so there will be plenty of other waters such as lakes and canals open to fish from when you arrive on the 5th june.

There's plenty of fishing around london such as fly fishing for trout, carp fishing, mixed species fishing and lure fishing for pike and perch. expect to pay between 6 and 12 pounds for a days coarse fishing and probably a little more for flyfishing.

A good idea would be to do a search on google for "fishing london' which should give you some good results for day ticket waters that will be accessible to you. I think there are some free streches on the river Thames which would be perfect.

Everywhere to fish in england has its own set of rules, as well as the ones issued by the EA. So be aware to check each separate place you fish for any bait or tackle regualtions.

If you can be a little more specific about what type of fishing you would like to do i can help a bit more with some suggestions about venues.

I should be around when you are in england so please send me a pm closer to the time and we can see if we can meet up to wet a line. I live fairly close to london and there are some nice places we could check out around here.

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Subha.

As Scott says, you will need an EA licence for freshwater fishing - Saltwater is still free to all. Once you have that, you will however still have to pay to fish most waters.
You can order the EA licence on line but make sure you keep details of the number etc as even if you don't have the physical licence, the balifs should be able to confirm that you have one by checking the database.
Best advice I can give is to sign up to a UK based angling forum such as AnglersNet (link below) and post up details of exactly where you'll be staying, what kind of angling you're intereested in and when you'll be over. I'm sure that some of the members who live close to London will be happy to help out.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Coar ... bccf8c2ca4[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 pm 
Enlightened

Drop me a PM nearer the time and let me know what sort of fishing you are after. I can't guarantee that I'll be free when you are over, but i might be able to take you somewhere, depending on where in London you are staying. If you are still here after June 16 then i could maybe meet you for an evening on the River Thames and hopefully get you our own version of the mahseer, the barbel (barbus barbus).

Gary