->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Beautiful People :)

It was quite sometime we ( Me and Keyur) had been shore fishing. We tried trawling a few weekends prior but did not catch any thing. A night earlier I was intimated that we have a new spot for fishing and someone else named Keith would join us. The condition looked pretty good many of them around were fishing from the beach but we decided to take from the rocks. I could see 7 sting rays maneuvering as close as 3 meters from the where I was standing. Tried to put the bait in front of them even tried a float but they seemed to be in a good mood. Gave up on the sting rays and went for a long cast. There was a call from Keyur. He had hooked a Sultan Ibrahim. He however decided to hook it back into the sea for a bigger catch. (It came alive even after several hours :) ) The I got a hit and I was reeling but no fight from the fish it was giving me aheavy feel on the rod though. as it came close I felt as if I was reeling in a "KATI PATANG" that yellow white thing came inshore in some awkward manner. BIG FREAKING EYES :) It was a over sized PUFFER. I hammered him on the rock cause it disappointed me after a long reel in ;) Keyur than bagged a couple of Nagrurs I believe (Keyur correct me if am wrong). No hits for almost 45 mins than I decided to change places went close to Keyur as he was the only was landing a few of them so thought may be thats where the fish are. I cast further down and placed my rod on the rod holder and went to get my other rod that was a good 100 meters away and before I could come my other rod have given several bow downs and that gave me some hopes. Reeled in to find out the bait was lost. Second cast with shrimp as a bait and a few minutes and there was a strong strike. A solid yank and it was confirmed that I had it hooked. It made short but strong runs. Not much of a fight though. Just reeled in easily. It was a "PAALU" Sea bream is what we call it I suppose. One of the guys accompanying me using hand lines managed to bag a good size Sheri and a small hamour. A few minutes later we saw Keith panicking as he was yelling "Baladiya baladiya" Meaning "The municipality guys." As we need license to fish here in Dubai, this guys was not having one for sure. He managed to dis-assemble his road and the tachle and everything in a couple of minutes and disappeared in thin air. It was out turn now. We both had license but Keyur's was expired and up for renewal but was carrying the receipt on him. We decided to approach the municipality guy and not take chances. Nothing much happened checked our license and let us go a few moments later I got another strike and it was a same size PAALU again, Both weighed approx more than a KG. Thats is was about it we called it a day. The news daily states that that place is not closed for beach goers due to RED TIDE but we are definitely going to check that place again on GOOD FRIDAY. Well different views about the RED TIDE have upsurged these days. Hope to post the report for GOOD FRIDAY.

Catch you soon fellow anglers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:58 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats mate on your breams and other fishes [smilie=coolup.gif] what is the meaning of red tide BTW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:06 am 
Fishaholic

congrats on your catch mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:07 am 
Fishaholic

rajatda , red tide is a form of algae i think... i have seen it oman too.

it spreads all over the coast line for miles on end , i think its got to do with climate change .

this algae i think takes away oxygen from the water .. i had been to a really great spot once in oman ,on a fishing trip.. unfortunately the red tide had hit there and i was loads of huge grouper , snapper ,bream spangled emperor , mullet and many other fish all strewn dead on the water and beached up along rocky beaches .

guys please help put up some more clearer info on the red tide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Bream guys...

Too bad about the red tide, Hamour is right about it, it is not just bad for the fishes but the birds too. Besides the oxygen depletion the phytoplankton also release toxins in the water.

Here's a picture of what a Red Tide looks like:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

oh btw .. please do not eat the fish caught during the red tide phase...

it is harmful to humans .. as mentioned in my earlier post , last year when the red tide hit oman , there was an incident where a huge shoal of gt got sorta crazy and came right to the shore . People on the beach and local fishermen started to haul the fish in left right and center .
the gt didnt put up any resistance .

even the papers covered this phenomenon .

a day layer the papers came out with warnings to the public to refrain from eating the fish caught in such circumstances .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Nice report Dezz,

keep it up. While doing bait fishing, in place of weight, use a ball of sand and shrimps, rapped in a cloth and attached to your line as you attach the weight. This will act as a weight and at the same time attract fishes due to the smell of shrimps. Hope this help you to catch lot of fishes.

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

Red tide? :http://www.whoi.edu/redtide/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

can anyone tell me what are the English name for
sheri
zubaidi
homur
and arabic name for
breams
crockers
queenfish
longtoms
flatheads

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
Fishaholic

i think bobby can answer that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Jeen will be a better bet with this one give he is in that part of the world.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:19 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Nice report Dezz,

keep it up. While doing bait fishing, in place of weight, use a ball of sand and shrimps, rapped in a cloth and attached to your line as you attach the weight. This will act as a weight and at the same time attract fishes due to the smell of shrimps. Hope this help you to catch lot of fishes.

Regards,

Hi Ali,

Do I ground the shrimps you mean and mix it with the sand and attach sinkers as well???

Appreciate your help

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:30 am 
Fishaholic

hozefa...

shari is spangled emperor
hamour is grouper
zubaidi is ?

english to arabic traslations.. dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:57 am 
Fishaholic

Zubadi is a Pomfret I understand...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
angler_ali wrote:
Nice report Dezz,

Regards,

Hi Ali,

Do I ground the shrimps you mean and mix it with the sand and attach sinkers as well???

Appreciate your help

DeZZ

You do not have to attach any sinker as the ball of sand will act as the sinker.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:35 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:
can anyone tell me what are the English name for
sheri
zubaidi
homur
and arabic name for
breams
crockers
queenfish
longtoms
flatheads

thanks in advance

HI Hozefa

Sheri = Spangled Emperor

Zubaidi - Pomfret

Hamour = greasy grouper. (there are many varieties of grouper, each of them have different arabic names, but still called hamour by the general public....some of them are 'disco, summan, hamoor khor, gatto, aroosa, subati)

breams = gabit, shaam, ebaiseyah, Bint Al Nochaza

grunter = nagroor

Queenfish = dila, bessar

flatheads = wahar

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Keyur,

Youre the Arabic - Fish encyclopedia...

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Bobby,

I use a lot of reading material for reference. With the local chaps firing off names in Arabic, we gotta know what they are talking about, lest you end up using a 2lb rod for a 30lb fish......I still use a 4lb rod for spinning :twisted: Nothing like the kick it gives me while trying to land the 10 to 12lb fish from the rocks. (I lose the fish 75% of the time, but its worth the thrill)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
HI Bobby,

I use a lot of reading material for reference. With the local chaps firing off names in Arabic, we gotta know what they are talking about, lest you end up using a 2lb rod for a 30lb fish......I still use a 4lb rod for spinning :twisted: Nothing like the kick it gives me while trying to land the 10 to 12lb fish from the rocks. (I lose the fish 75% of the time, but its worth the thrill)

Yeah ask me about about it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 am 
Fishaholic

You should have waited till I got the landing net, instead of trying to lift the grouper out of the water....LOL

I can still see the look on your face ........ :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

thanks keyur
its the same reason i asked for the names...
they keep telling arabic names and i keep talking in english with whatever arabic i know.......
that is sure some help for me