->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello everyone,

I am preparing to go up to the Nakuchiatal lake near Nainital for a couple of days. Hence i was wondering if anyone on the forum has previously angled there. Also what species of fish can i expect and any suggestions on bait, tackle etc, would be very welcome.

I had posted this in the bait and tackle section with mo replies... so i thought maybe this is the more appropriate section for the query. Hope someone can help.

Thanks a ton and and cheers,

Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Vikram try Pm ing Mahseerken or Indiangypsy mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Here's a quick reply. i used to fish these lakes (Bhimtal, Saattal and Naukuchiatal) in the late nineties. There were mahseer then that refused to take any kind of lure. But if you grounded baited with fermented corn and used the same on your hook then you could catch some fish. The only problem was that it was more a cast out your bait, leave your airtight can with line on the bank. And come back tom morning. If your tackle had gone then you got a boat and rowed around till you found the can being towed around the lake.

The latest I have heard about these lakes is that there are still a few Mahseer in Saattal bit both the other lakes have been stocked with carp.

At Saattal there is a bloke called Pawan who runs the chai stall right near the boat docks. He might be able to help you if he is still alive. At bhimtal there is some bloke called Gupta from Delhi who is into fishing the lake. Ask around as he has some sort of guest house.

As for tackle, just remember you are going carp fishing so get out the floats and the small hooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for the info ken.. hope our planned meeting happens sooner rather than later.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:11 am 
Enlightened

theres some big fellas (20-30 lbs) at Garud tal which show themselves in the evening - swim in shoals on the surface sometimes - saw them from up at the ashram. Cudnt believe my eyes at first. Cud be silvers or carp - Big fellas :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Not Mahseer for sure. The last big Mahseer in these lakes was caught by a very nice Anglo Indian gentleman who lived next to Bhimtal (say 100mtr from where the lake starts as you enter from the plains side). I can't remember his name but he would lend us his little row boat and his wife would always pack some sandwiches (toungue, ham, salt meat, etc)

Now all the monster in these lakes are introduced fish - the carp family. This is also a blessing in disguise as for a long time the UA fisheries guys were thinking about introducing mangur into the lake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:22 am 

Have fished these lakes a while ago and most of them are not producing much and the reason given to me was that some kind of a weed has sprung up under water which is killing off the fish. Dont know how far its true.

Cheers Rohit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

so i did end up going there and fishing in two locations.
1. Naukuchiatal - didn't catch anything, but some local kids got a 3 pound carp on a hand line. Got a few bites though and one got away.But the water is completely brown and dirty. I was told that last year for some reason (maybe the weeds perrazi is talking about), huge numbers of fish, which included mahaseer, were congregating on the surface to take in oxygen. The local boatmen apparently took home loads of the fish by just killing them by whacking them dead with oars !!! The waters at Bheemtal looked a lot clearer and would be ok for fishing i would think.

2. Saattaal - This place is absolutely gorgeous. I was told Mahaseer are to be had early morning and late evening on live bait which is a small fish found in the lake. I tried to spin a small lure from a boat in the afternoon as i had to drive back to delhi... didn't catch anything again, but saw some monster mahaseer soaking in the sun on the surface. Would definitely be in the 15 - 20 kg range !! I repeatedly cast past the shoal and tried to reel it in across them so that it the lure would be clearly visible to them, but no such luck !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:13 am 
Enlightened

Im there month end - will put out the arsnel and see what happens - softies, frogs, phermones and all the stink I can find in the dustbin ! thats if i can get time from the dogs and kids. Anyone up there, get in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:58 am 
Enlightened

I just joined up last weekend and wish i had known about the lakes in UA...

Well, I had a disastrous weekend at Bhimtaal and Saat Taal last year. With pride of place reserved for my babies (Jarvis Walker 9' ers) on the roof rack, i had a sheepish return to Monolith resorts.... tried corn, atta, spoons, tassie Devils, plugs, lures, earth worms, live chilva. Two full days and Zilch... not good for the ego specially when you sometimes land 3 on a line every 2 minutes fishing at Yorke Peninsula SA... Luckily the Missus saw my crestfallen face and handed me a chilled lager from the Esky. the day didn't seem so bad at all after that...

I'll go back again after someone out there tells me HOW to save face at Bhimtaal/Saat Taal /Naukuchiyataal :?: :roll: :roll: