->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: india fishing trip
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:56 pm 

hello all! taken me ages to fix pc resize fotos etc.. here goes!! arrived in delhi with fishing gear
we rested and made a plan. we decided to explore delhi for 3 days then we would go to chennai. we aimed to do some trekking /fishing inland from there.

we got to our camp, isolated and nice, where we met a danish couple. his name was thomas and we ended fishing together in different places. he also was going to the andaman islands in 2 weeks, and as he had already booked a boat i hooked on to his ride.

we started fishing for mahseer with spinners and in the afternoon with ragi. all was quiet for me except for a invasive / introduced breed (id anyone?)Image

thomas on the other hand had hooked something large! The cunning fish had snagged him and so thomas bravely jumped in the water swam out, unsnagged from the underground branch( 10m from crocodile point!) and carried on the fight on a central island.

we got a coracle out to him and he got the fish back to bank after a good fight. obligatory celebrations and photo!!

i was sad that i missed out on a mahseer, but decided i will go back again!! that night we planned our andaman trip . i would arrive first in havelock, thomas one week later. we said goodbye and headed back to chennai for the mamallapuram dance festival and a bit of culture. unfortunately i lost my phone, (which created allsorts of problems!!) and then was ill for three days, resurfacing just in time to go to the andaman islands.

after a good journey to havelock, saw jumping tuna and dolphins, we booked in and relaxed. beautiful place, falling coconuts an lots of wildlife. saw loads of fish jumping out of the water outside my bungalow!!
we spent the next week exploring, rented motorbike, and all the while i checked prices with locals for boat rental. internet was permanently down there, so had my choices limited.

i chose a boat of locals for fishing trips and snorkeling, made sure they knew their stuff, and off we went!! spent 2 days fishing with them on a local dunghe. got a great variety of table fish which we ate and released the other 90%

on the second day i was trolling with the gear attached, in 12m of water, with a large lure, and i almost got ripped off the boat by something huge!!

it was extremely powerful and just went in a straight line ! i gave it everything i could , tried to stop it, with people holding on to the back of my harness. but no way.!! eventually it found its cave, whilst we sat circling and pulling with all our might. no joy. we went swimming to find out what was going on , and we saw line went down into a cave at 12 m deep. we couldnt see what it was or the lure.. eventually it spat my artificial out badly damaged!! it had bent a 250lb split ring nastily!!
we all discussed it and the owner decided it must be a giant tiger grouper. he reckoned +200kg!! he said biggest seen there was 300kg 3m!!! i spent the next 2 days recovering physically!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Greg, Nice report & fishing .... thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 pm 

My buddy thomas turned up and we spent the next 4 days fishing on his pre-planned boat. we went popping and spinning for gt´s and trolling generally. wow! great fun!!

that giant trevally was the largest one of the trip, what a fight!! we guestimate it at aprox 25kg.

all in all a brilliant trip! great place, fantastic people, tasty food,and AWESOME FISHING!

thankyou to all who helped me, posted me, gave advice, pointed me in the right direction etc.. and sorry to those i didn´t meet up with! (losing phone bad plan!!)

promised myself i will be back again sometime soon!!
regards to all, tight lines . greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Greg,

I guess another couple of fish of different species and you could have had your own exclusive fishbase :) Awesome looking catch you have there. Sad that you were not able to land the monster but for sure one day you will. Good show and thanks for the report.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

Wow! that is some trip. Excellent catch and fantastic pictures. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Good report and great fishes. The fish you lost must have been a Grouper. Did you try jigging in Andman. Sad that you were not able to land a Mahseer.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

mopa wrote:
tight lines . greg

You bet... :shock: :shock: Damn good show!!!!

Post subject: Great show
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the big catches. :D . The sad part :( is we missed to meet in chennai.

Awaiting for your next trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 am 

Dont worry stingray manny , I am sure we will meet fishing soon!! Hope all is well in sunny chennai! regards greg

Last edited by mopa on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 am 
Fishaholic

Hey pal some amazing fishing there thanks for sharing awesome place . I wish i can go there this season cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Greg,

Wonderful pics. Thnks for sharing. Good to know that you enjoyed every moment of time spent here. Happy fishing.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:06 pm 

Thanks spoonangler. Yes I really enjoyed it. I enjoy good food as well ,so India was a great choice! A second trip would be easier to plan now.. My danish friend thomas and i are already talking about a second trip sometime!! It will take me a long time to save for the flight :( I might start playing the weekly lottery hehe. regards to all , tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:14 pm 

Anglerali i was unable to find any place near havelock to deepjig within my budget range. Havelock is surrounded by shallowish waters ,and i was enjoying the surface gt´s too much to jig at unknown marks.. :D

I would love to come back again and arrange an expedition aiming for dogtooth tuna. Nasty critters!! hehe .. Too many fish too little time :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

congrats on a fishing trip gone well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Greg,

Thanks for sharing your great trip with us..., looks like you and Thomas had a blast!! :D

I already look forward to reading about your next trip..start saving hard bro!!

All the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:57 am 

Thanks scott. Had a great time reading youre blog!! Good mission!! Congratulations Have a 2 person ocean kayak myself -malibu2 xl . Where are you planning next?
The lady in my life wants to do ecuador or guatemala, so now i´m studying roosters and cubera and sailfish etc.. hehe
tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Greg,

that sounds great, i've often dreamt about the roosters. They look like great fun! i think you will really be spoilt for choice over there..particualrly with big cuberas lurking around..

I'll be back in India next..can't leave the place alone..No major plans yet apart from catching a massive barramundi :D some other thoughts but nothing solid yet. I would love to have another bash for the mahseer too..

maybe see you out there sometime,

All the best mate,

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 pm 

scott: yes India has loads of great fishing to be had.!! After you´re giant barramundi , i suggest you look at nile perch in lake nasser someday!! I leave that sort of for last... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 pm 

Hope to catch up one day scott. Keep me posted of youre adventures!! regards mopa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:53 am 

Hi Greg

Congratulations on some great fish and lovely photos.
I was introduced to GT's last year by my friend who lives in Fiji, awesome fish that try to pull your arms off. We didn't get many or quite as large as yours though but I lost a monster that took right at the side of the boat - probably around 40kg! How big do they get where you had yours?

Some interesting other fish you had as well and very colourful. I also caught a green jobfish about the same size as yours on a popper in Fiji along with a baby dogtooth tuna on a lure plus spanish mackerel, barracuda etc.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:30 pm 

Thanks andy!!
Those GT´s arte solid fish indeed.. Largest i caught was aproximately 22-25 kg. I heard the largest local size is around 40kg too. As it was my first time aiming at GT¨S i was quite glad they started small, and final day caught my largest :D
I heard cold water GT´s tug even more!!! Felt a bit over powered equipment wise for the fish i caught. Next time will aim at 30 /40kg range if poss!!
That fiji trip sounds cool!! Havent got a write up do you and photos?!!
Those dogtooth tuna are also on my long list of target species!! They grow huge!! And they look pretty nasty.. hehe
My first time downsizing photos and uploading with poor line!! All a bit rushed!! I feel the trip deserves a better write up and photos, so when i have time...
Regards mopa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:37 pm 

Oh by the way scott, if you ever go to egypt for nile perch, also go for gt´s in the red sea quite cheaply!!! i hear 40kg possible!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 pm 

I've got a few hundred photos from the Fiji trip and a couple of hours of video but I haven't written a report or tried to load photos - not something I've ever done although I've no doubt it's not too difficult. My computer is in need of a serios rebuild as well!
I'm very lucky in having a good friend with a diving and fishing business on one of the tiny holiday islands (just opposite where the film Castaway was made) and after trying to get me to visit for many years I finally went. I can't wait to get out there again now.

When did you fish Nasser and how did you get on? It's not as good as it once was which is all too familiar in these times, Egypt and India fished much better for big fish ten years ago. I now fish for nile Perch in Uganda which is simply amazing, I was addicted to Indian fishing until I went there.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:28 am 

hi andy. havent been to nasser yet. ..It was reccomended by egyptian friend and i will kind of save it for the future when im more experienced, along with tarpon and some amazonian creatures!! Yes i´ve seen reports on uganda. Good catfish too i see. glad to see indian angler hasnt lost you to ugandan angler. hehe

I guess the fishing pressure is less? anyplace you reccommend ? What about sizes? I take it uganda is spinning only, not trolling?

cheers regards mopa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:32 am 

Hi Greg

I may be addicted to Uganda but they don't have mahseer! I'd go to India and Uganda (and Fiji) every year but funds don't permit evrything I'd love to do. I've fished the Cauvery five times (about 14 weeks on the bank) and am unlikely to ever catch a bigger mahseer than I've had but I still love the place and I'd go back tomorrow.

We fish the Nile at Murchison Falls in Uganda as Lake Victoria is no longer a reliable destination due to commercial overfishing - you only catch very few small perch there now although there is always an outside chance of a monster.

We've had perch to 158lbs (about 72kg) from the river using lures, deadbaits and livebaits. You can troll on the river but we haven't really done this as there is never enough time to do everything and the hours just melt away!
Very good catfishing for numerous bagrus cats plus the occasional vundu. We've had bagrus to 48lbs but they reputedly go to over 100lbs.

The wildlife viewing is amazing and the biggest downside is the tsetse flies which are a pain in the arse....... and the legs, face, arms etc. Expect 100 plus bites in two weeks (they have no respect for repellant). It is also a high malaria risk region so you need the anti-malaria tablets or you will probably get it.

Tarpon are fantastic, I've only fished for them in Florida Keys and it's outside my affordability now but they are well worth a go.
I'd love to get an arapaima from South America (not Thailand!) and maybe peacock bass as well but they will have to wait.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Andy/ Mopa,

Africa seems to be the last fontier now. I have heard good things about Nile perch at the falls, thouh th terrain loks quite hairy!. There is some serious Gt fishing in Djbouti . Some french GT fishermen have made it their regular haunt hauling 40 kg Gts from the shore and also landing 66KG popping from the boat off a goup of small islands a stone throw away from thir coast called the seven Brother islands.

The African west coast I hear has some exciting surf fishing for Cuberas , tarpons and Thread fins. Well so many destnations and so little time :D

Cheers,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:34 pm 

andy sounds like life is sweet!!! hehe. Yes as jeen says giant tarpon off w.africa is not as expensive as america, and very little pressure!! How long you been fishing andy?! sounds like you´ve had a bag of laughs!!

The amazon has some amazing fish, hope to get there soonish!!! Also check alligator gar from texas!!!! prehistoric critter :D too many fish too little money!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:36 pm 

andy you lucky devil having friends in faraway tropical places!!! With fish...hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm 

andy spanish fisherman are taking to guinea bissau an island of the coast called orangozinho aiming at massive tarpon. bigger than anything ive seen from america easy..

Yes mahseer are beautiful fish, next time for me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:30 pm 

Hi Jeen/Mopa

40kg GT's from the shore is awesome and I presume that means there is no coral or rocks to get cut off on. A friend of mine has had them to 58lbs (26kg) from the shore on fly fishing tackle which just sounds crazy.

The West African coast probably has the biggest tarpon in fact I think the world record may have come from there somewhere. They certainly run to over 200lbs in Florida but I think the record is over 300lbs.

I've been fishing in England since about 8 years old and I'm now 51 so I don't suppose I'd be classed as a novice any more. There's always plenty of new things to learn though as well as new places to go. I am very, very lucky to have good friends who travel with me to various countries as well as those friends living in Fiji and I've certainly had some amazing experiences. Hopefully plenty more to come too!

Aligator gar are also on my "to do" list and I looked into a trip for them this year before settling on a return to Uganda.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 pm 

Jeen that sounds spectacular.. It has been a dream of mine to aim at large GT´s from the shore!! A 66 kg must be a monster gt!!! Seen some awesome Gt photos on internet, and a spearfishing claim of 80 kg in hawaii recently.... :D Time to save for carpenters and saltigas me thinks..

I am currently dusting and polishing my tropical poppers for a possible bluefin tuna trip here in the Balearic Islands... I hope it happens!!

MY danish mate thomas also knows soren, and they are in touch thinking about the andaman..

Great speaking to you guys. I have found many western based forums rather boring with little offered input and help. What a refreshing change IA is..
Regards to all you members!! Good luck rajatmukherje!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:09 pm 

By the way ... Anyone gone for leerfish (lichia amia) in the mediterranean??
They grow upto 50kg and are considered the med´s GT. good spot is the delta of the ebro river near barcelona.. Poppers, wtd .. Sweet fish, unfortunately rare where i am, but will be another trip sometime!!
Do an image search on google and type in ¨Palometon¨ .Spanish name for it.
regards mopa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Mopa,

I will be in Spain for about 2 weeks this October, will also be traveling to Barcelona. Will that be a good time if one wants to look for Palometon?

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:21 pm 

hey santosh. yes october is good. season is may to november .. also will find fish called ¨anjova¨ linecutters!! grow large aswell. there are many small boat rental places near the delta del ebro, you should have no problems finding them. The fish feed in aprox 20m of water in the bays close to shore, but you do need a boat and if you can a guide /driver who can take you to the best places... :D Its a dream fishing location really with tuna ,pomatomus saltatrix (anjova) large seriola dumerii and much more.. Well worth it . will try and find you some more info..

regards mopa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

The fish you want a Id of is a Rohu Carp :)
They hook very rarely ;) So you got good luck with you there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:54 pm 

Thanx aircut . Rohu carp. Sweet! :D