->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 pm 

hi there fellow anglers leaving for goa this sunday has anyone got any info where to fish in this area please never fished in india before many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

what kind of fishing are you going to try out? Fresh or salt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:04 pm 

we are taking lures and poppers for the sea we also have rods for the rivers too many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Google Earth is your friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:22 am 

been on google earth but dont know what im looking for am i looking for where the rivers run into the sea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 pm 

that would be a good start i would look for rocks as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

The Rocks on the right hand with that small riverlet running out is a good place to try for Trevally maybe Barra at night too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:34 am 
Fishaholic

Here is the Google Earth image of Bagga beach.
You can bait fish off the sand and will probably pick up catfish at night.
Throwing 4 and 5" lure accross the river mouth (it's 34m wide at the point where I have marked) should bring you barra and MJ's at night.
The rocks to the north should repsond to either lure or bait tactics.
I'm taking about night fishing here so stay safe.

In the daytime, you might pick up fish off the rocks with baits but scale down your gear and expect tackle losses.
I'm also told that there is a brackish lake at Bagga that is in the grounds of a hotel. They apparently charge to fish it but it apparently contains some good milkfish and mullet that will respond to floating crust as well as barra, mj's and palu (AKA Pikey sea bream).

For a session away, try a night fishing trip to Keri and fish the river mouth there with lures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 am 
Fishaholic

Ken, are there wild Milkfish around Bagga?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

There should be. The lake is connected to the estuary so the assumption is that all of the fish in there came from the wild. The ID was made by Scott (Worldfisher) when he visited the lake and fits with a small fish that I saw in (of all places) a well, which I 'm 95% certain was a juvinile milkfish. The problem with species like that is always going to be location though.
Next time I visit Im definatly going to find the time to find a nice quiet river backwater , put out a bag of mashed bread and fish UK style coarse fishing methods to see what turns up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I just read this smashing artice in an Aussie mag about fishing for milkfish with fly gear using bread. They first chum the area with bread crumbs and wait for the bigger ones to come in on the feed and then sight cast. From what I have read there the Milkfish looks like something else on flytackle real reel busting stuff. Maybe you should give it a go with some fly gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Maybe you should give it a go with some fly gear.

Maybe. They use specially designed "bread flies" made from soft spongy plastic. I read an article about a couple of Singaporean anglers doing much the same thing that you describe and as you say, it sounds like you need a glove on your reel hand to avoid burns !

I have a travel fly rod so.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

I have/had a beautiful travel 6 piece Fenwick Fly rod with a life time guarantee, infact it is lying besides me in a case as I type this. Out fishing once and my son (5 or 6 at that time) stepped on it an broke one of the sections....

Anyway all the best with those milkfish, the article did mention bread flies but most of those guys were flycasting real bread. You are right you would need a glove for those beasts. Some thing I will give a go when I get down that side...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Maybe. They use specially designed "bread flies" made from soft spongy plastic. .

hahahaha reminds me of Ramganga. The guide took me to this little rapid under the Marchula bridge where he proceeded to throw pieces of bread into the flow. Sure enough hungry mahseer started wolfing them down as the bread entered the pool. So we floated bread with hooks attached and fished for a short while time. After all how much bread can you carry.

The next day I was back with a few pieces of sponge conveniently plucked form the pillow in the hotel. Sure the fish took the bait. But more hooked then them was the guide. He insisted on taken the left over sponge at the end of the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 pm 

Some great advise there guys and very helpful to me as i will be heading to Goa at the end of February.
I think i've got everything sorted now with lots of help from some of the members of this forum, thanks again, you know who you are :D
I'm taking my spinning rod along with various shads in 4-6" pearl and white colours best? am i right? Also gonna get a few big plugs like bomber long A's,any other recommendations?
Should i take my travel beachcaster? or will my shimano 10/11ft Exage AX S.T.C be good enough for a bit of bottom fishing?
I will hopefully fish around Arambol, the fort Aguada, and Baga, but anywhere else fishing well at the moment?

Thanks for all your help people, a great forum with great advise.

P.S anyone out there at the end of Feb early March and Fancy meeting up for session then let me know