->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bhutan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Has anyone fished in Bhutan? I am very much interested but not getting any lead. The place is located so much near Assam, still I am not getting any lead. Please help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:36 pm 

Though I haven't fished in Bhutan, just thought of sharing some info on the gateway town to Bhutan.

The most popular entry point is Jaigaon on Indian side and Phuntshilling on Bhutan side. Jaigaon will be some 30 km from Hasimara. If you are coming from Assam follow the NH31 to Alipurduar and then to Hasimara.
Indians do not need passport but all vehicle requires registration at Phuntshilling.
To go to Thimpu, the capital of Bhutan, 12-14 hrs of bus journey, and you need permit which is easily available.
No idea about angling permits though.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I had been to Phuntshilling once. I know the route till there as we were not allowed to go further as my father forgot to bring his identity proof. I want to know whom to approach for angling permits and all other necessary paperworks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:25 pm 

A quick serach in google has thrown up this link

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/P8793E/P8793E02.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Anindya,

I have also saved this web page before posting this topic. The problem is that a lot of our angler friends from Assam has visited Bhutanese police stations either for having a proper or improper fishing permits. Some says fishing is totally prohibited and the web page says anglers can fish in the bhutanese waters after getting the licence from the authorised departments. You must have noticed in the webpage that the angling licence norms were made in 1974. As per as I am informed, royal king is an avid angler and has banned all kind of fishing in bhutan. I think virajchopra can throw some light in this matter. But it seems he hardly visit this site now a days.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:27 pm 

I pm'ed you a link to a fishing article on Bhutan. Looks like there is some nice trout fishing. You may be able to email the auther and find some more info out. I have been thinking the same. From what I have read, there are very few places you can trout fish if you live there, but non residents can fish with a proper permit. As a US citizen, I believe i have to pay the government $200 a day, just to visit, and then I can fish the kings waters. I wanted to fish in Bhutan when I come this winter, but due to the cost, and the wide variety of fishing in India I will go some other time. Maybe next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm 
Fishaholic

There was an episode of "The accidental angler" in which Charles Rangeley-Wilson fished Bhutan.
There's no sign of it on YouTube but a google search seems to show it being available from several torrent sites. I don't use torrents myself but if anyone feels so inclined.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
There was an episode of "The accidental angler" in which Charles Rangeley-Wilson fished Bhutan.
There's no sign of it on YouTube but a google search seems to show it being available from several torrent sites. I don't use torrents myself but if anyone feels so inclined.....

Purely based on the accidental angler episode ken is talking about -

there are trout in the river and lakes but permits are needed and fishing is very regulated. if i remember correctly charles wilson gets a permit from the king himself - who is an avid angler himself and ofter comes to north india to fish mahseer.

mate why dont you mail the king?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:28 am 
Enlightened

I fished in Bhutan in 1975 during school holidays when Dad was posted near Phuntsholling. One of Dad's Major had organised fishing in the Torsa for me. Used spoons and caught 3 -1kg fish which I found out in 1997 to be Mahaseer. The other time i went to a lake near Paro which was teeming with trout. Between me and the Brigade commander's son (I was 15 and he was 18) we caught over 35 fish in one day of various sizes with spoons. We gave away all to the army chaps who had taken us there and had 2 cooked for dinner... those were the days!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey mate,
Bhutan is a place to fish for specially trouts snow, rainbow & Browns yuo also find mahaseer but nothing in size and experience to goldens caught in India. As Kapil i have also experienced bhutan as a Army officer's son in early 90's and of course on our complete biking trip of Sikkim & Bhutan in 2005.

Some spots where you are sure to get lucky are in
1. Paro right opposite to the airport bank. either bait it with corn or use silver spinners or black dressed with yeloz / redz size 00 - 03. I have no experience in fly fishing but that the most eleitest way to do so. my buddy misty caught a lot of them and the bigger ones.
2. Thimpu - take a diversion towards the decending road from the town to the palace
3. Panakha - Excelent Place among the most spectacular place in this belt
4 Bhumtang & tongsa - ( SPECTACULAR i not enough as a word for these places require you to drive a bit far from the main towns of Thimpu & Paro into the interiors.

Be advised that these is very limited accomodation options available and the ones available are on luxury side approx (usd 120/ night) or very basic may be doms or shelters offered by monestaries and local rest houses. We were using our tents and at paro @ Hotel Olathang and at thimpu @ Hotel Phuntsho Pelri.

Cheers!!!
M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:52 pm 
Enlightened

mayursud wrote:
Hey mate,
Bhutan is a place to fish for specially trouts snow, rainbow & Browns yuo also find mahaseer but nothing in size and experience to goldens caught in India. As Kapil i have also experienced bhutan as a Army officer's son in early 90's and of course on our complete biking trip of Sikkim & Bhutan in 2005.

Some spots where you are sure to get lucky are in
1. Paro right opposite to the airport bank. either bait it with corn or use silver spinners or black dressed with yeloz / redz size 00 - 03. I have no experience in fly fishing but that the most eleitest way to do so. my buddy misty caught a lot of them and the bigger ones.
2. Thimpu - take a diversion towards the decending road from the town to the palace
3. Panakha - Excelent Place among the most spectacular place in this belt
4 Bhumtang & tongsa - ( SPECTACULAR i not enough as a word for these places require you to drive a bit far from the main towns of Thimpu & Paro into the interiors.

Be advised that these is very limited accomodation options available and the ones available are on luxury side approx (usd 120/ night) or very basic may be doms or shelters offered by monestaries and local rest houses. We were using our tents and at paro @ Hotel Olathang and at thimpu @ Hotel Phuntsho Pelri.

Cheers!!!
M

Great info in a nutshell Mayur!!! So anyone who is contemplating a fishing trip to Bhutan there is all the information one needs. As Mayur correctly pointed out its a trout paradise and the Mahasheer at 1kg seemed a real big fish to a 15 year old kid vis-avis considering sitting on the lake in Coochbehar and catching 3-8 inches carp which drew admiring exclaimation from the surrounding mob which kept giving advise non stop!!!

Post subject: Re: Bhutan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:33 pm 

apoo..i live in sikkim which is a stones throw away from Bhutan, but i dont think that there is any open valid licensing facility there, best bet is fishing is not allowed there... but you could fish at places where u would be content that some cops might not pass thru.

best bet is not to fish..as the majority of the people are buddhists and i have heard that ...they feel it is not right to fish cuz they have no voice to shout out wen they are in pain..hence a bigger sin....

apoo wrote:
Has anyone fished in Bhutan? I am very much interested but not getting any lead. The place is located so much near Assam, still I am not getting any lead. Please help.