->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm 

Hi guys,
Before I begin my trip report, I’d like to say that this is my first ever post on Indian angler. A much due post at that. I have been introduced to Indian angler for some time now, but never found anything worth posting, although Ali bhai and Rajat were always persistent about doing the same. Well, so finally here it is.

One fine morning I decided of leaving for Goa with my uncle Steve who is a fine angler himself, very renowned for his bait fishing in his town in Goa. Called up a few friends to join me, but being Christmas season no one could come. Madhur also couldn’t join us as he was busy with work. Just as uncle and I thought we were left alone, two non angling friends decided to join in, what eventually became a trip of "their" life time as well. So 21st of December is when we set out not having any destination plans but just FISHING as our main and only agenda

So here we were, with my car all loaded with fishing gear, thanks to Ali bhai for an additional spinning reel which eventually caught all the big fishes. As we were nearing Ratnagiri I remembered Ali bhai and Rajat mentioning a few spots along the Malwan coast, so decided to call Rajat for directions. And to our surprise he was already in konkan, but Rajat seemed to be busy and said he'd call back. We decided to wait at the same spot as the mobile network there was strongest we could get. while waiting for Rajat's call we ended up helping a broken down Scorpio and got it fixed , it is then we realized that it was a few hours since we called Rajat , so we tried calling Rajat again but I guess he had bad network on his end :wink: ,

Not knowing what to do, we called madhur who guided us to a few spots, beginning with a place called Tarkarli. On hearing the name Tarkarli one of our non angling buddies jumped up saying he had relatives in tarkarli!!! The party was on, even before we reached the house in tarkarli we had a trolling boat ready for us. we reached there in the evening and met some local anglers , our spirits were dampened as we learnt that it wasn’t a good time for angling due to the water being too clear and phosphorescence... but we still decided to go ahead with our trolling plans to which our non angling friends were damn excited . At 5pm we started trolling for about two hours without any luck. so we decided to come back and rest for a while and try spinning at night when the moon was up , so at 4 am the next morning after having a gala time on the beach with the locals , we started spinning. Three hours into spinning, we tried all possible tactics and lures but to no luck. In the morning we decided to leave Tarkarli with fond memories of the locals who were extremely warm and generous in sharing all their know-how about fishing in Tarkarli. I’m surely spending more time in Tarkarli on my next visit.

22nd. dec. We bid farewell to Tarkarli and headed to our next destination Vengurla. We reached there in the after noon and rested for a while. Did some sight seeing of the lovely Vengurla shoreline and that’s when we spotted some rocks and decided to spin from there at night. With memories of the previous night our spirits weren’t that high. An hour into spinning and it was time to celebrate as I got my first hit of the trip. Few minutes of fight and I landed the fish. By this time the gang was already dancing and singing Christmas carols in joy.
By abbeyfiz, shot with Canon PowerShot S3 IS at 2009-01-03
Grouper close to 3Kgs

After some more time of spinning we decided to call it a day as I was very tired from all the driving and casting. After a full night of partying. And a well deserved rest. We left that place on a high note.

23rd. dec. Our next destination was Tiracol which was not too far from there. I have relatives there, so finally I was home .And Christmas spirits were high... All my local friends gathered on our arrival and we planned to spin from the rocks that night. After a hearty meal we trekked for the rocks with all our gear, we were joined by two Israeli and Russian friends from the village. Very soon everyone was casting out. Three hours of casting and nobody had any luck. That’s when I changed to my new xrap which I had saved for goa. Third cast and bang!!! I got a hit. What a run. I called uncle for help as I couldn’t find my way around the rocks in the darkness. The fish gave quiet a fight. I managed to get him near and uncle expertly gaffed him. It was an MJ. The dancing and singing began again!!!! and as we were talking about the fight the MJ put up , I made my next cast , bang again , this time I knew it was something really big , it felt bigger than the previous hit , once again called uncle who was still busy dancing with the boys . This time the fight was bigger and longer. Every one was taking their guesses about the fish, till it decided to show itself to us. Well there was the first barra of the trip!!!!! “Let there be dancing and singing once again”. It was a task to land the fish with all the dancing around me... finally uncle had to get back to business and gaff the burger. It was finally out. This time I joined in the dancing too. We found a small pond and let the fishes in it while we danced in circles around the pond. That night was a big party.
Our friend Allen with The MJ(4Kgs) and Barramundi(6.5Kgs)

24th. dec. I was joined by my wife and family from Mumbai and we headed for home in south goa. Took couple of days off fishing to celebrate the festival with family.

27th. dec. we resumed our fishing trip, this time in Stevens home in Mondovi (Panjim). We decided to take a break from lures and try some bait. All the boys had rods in their hands with uncle guiding them to fish. All the boys were constantly getting hits and landing small fishes like paloo (breams), banshire (rabbit fish), and catfish. I was still without a bite. So I decided to take Steve’s canoe a little further out into the river, I used a fresh prawn as bait, cast out and was chilling with a can of beer. As time went by I watched the gang in silhouette merrily landing one fish after the other along the banks. I wish I had my camera at that point. Just as my thoughts were wandering away from fishing my reel started screaming. Before i could react, the fish had taken out quiet some line. So I carefully tightened the drag and the fight was on. This time i was alone fighting the fish. Thanks to Ali bhais braid I was able to yank the fish before he could cut me off the rocks. There I was with another barra. And as I reached the bank the boys were shocked and started dancing again.
By abbeyfiz, shot with FinePix S9500 at 2009-01-03
Barramundi (4Kgs)

28th. dec .we decided to move to north goa again. Once again our phone guide madhur directed us to a place close to his house in goa. A small estuary island, walking distance away from his house.
His house was at our disposal, so that became our base camp. We again were disappointed as our lines were glowing due to phosphorescence. But after a few hours of toil, to our good luck my reel screamed again. This was one of the best fights I ever had, 20 min. of full exertion and finally landed an MJ. This was my personal best MJ. And of course there was the customary dancing!!

MJ (5Kgs.)

29th. Dec. With happy memories and a heavy heart we had to leave for Mumbai, with a promise to come back again and hopefully this time with madhur in person...
There is so much more to write about the trip, but I’m afraid of bombarding you with more words in my first ever post!!!!!!
Thanks for reading and wish you guys a very happy new year.

Tight lines,

Abbey.

BTW here are some random pics from the trip.

Along the way

By abbeyfiz, shot with Canon PowerShot S3 IS at 2009-01-04

The Three monkeys

Night at Tarkarli

A group photo with Snoopy my dog

On the Bridge

Spot the bird

Thats how things should be

Beautifull view

School Picnic (kids waiting for the Ferry)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 pm 

A superb recollection of your wonderful trip Abbey, many thanks for sharing it with us .

Am in Goa with a friend very soon ( 2 weeks ) and am now even more excited and looking forward to the trip. Heres hoping the fishing god will shine on us like he did on you guys.

Wishing you a happy new year and hurry up with your next post !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:01 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pictures, well captured trip and some nice fishes to boot too :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

A very nice write up and and wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

Now this is what I call a great report. Loved reading it. The fishes you landed are great and I am sure now you are truly hooked. Keep it going and congratulation on a very nice fishing trip.

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

very nice pictures
and even a better report
wish everyone a very happy new year
and lots of fishing.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

nice trip mate

I see Santa got you lots.

cheers

Post subject: Good show sir.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Abbey,

[Tarkarli] thats a place where you should be man. Its heaven on earth. I have been to that place. A very good report indeed and some nice pics as well. Guess what? I am the same as you are coz even I haven't hooked any good fish to post. But my idea of fishing is a bit different. I go Fishing and I Love it. It does not necessarily mean I have to catch fish every time I go there. For me my experience makes me better day by day. Hopefully one fine day I will for sure catch a sizable fish. But FISHING is what I Love rather than catching fish every time. Imaging eating ice-cream 365 days a year :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm 

Hi Abbey,

Great trip report!!

Thanks for sharing.

May I also add, that I like your songs as well. :P ....and formal welcome to IA.

Cheers

Anindya

Post subject: hi abbey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:09 pm 
Enlightened

hey

may i ask which xrap u used here on this trip, what size, model, colour etc

vincent

Post subject: goan daze
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:23 am 

Well thats a great report for your first one,hope mine is as good when i get out there.
welcome to IA
michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:57 am 
Fishaholic

Good show, keep posting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

hi abbey
excellent catch and a good post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey abbey superb is the word fantastic report and some very nice pics .Loved your way of narration . Now you are really in for your life congrats mate on such a wonderful trip and catches cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report Abbey :)

Tarkarli / Vengurla are beautiful places and I have some wonderful memories of fishing there.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Way to Go Abios..., Can't do much but curse me self for not showing up.Shall "try" and make it the next time.

BTW Lawrence and his bro Dezz is down from singapore and want to join in for your next fishing trip.Will put him over to you.Talk to you later.TC.

Cheers,
Madhur.

PS.Good Trip!... *%^$#%#^@*.. DAMN!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 pm 
Fishaholic

madhurh1 wrote:
PS.Good Trip!... *%^$#%#^@*.. DAMN!!

That's more like it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Good Show Abby!

A very thrilling and nicely written report and nice pics too.

Thanks for sharing and wishing You a Very Happy and Fishful New Year 2009.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:35 am 
Fishaholic

abbey,
great read. thanks for sharing.
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

superb report
nice location and photography

keep it up man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Abbey for sharing guess that was Santa claus gift to u all those fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

nice show guys
rgds
Mayur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 pm 
Enlightened

Nice Report and great fish!

Was nice christmas eve in Terrekhol!

Tight lines mate
[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Abbey,

Very nice report and amazing fishing too. Congrats to everyone. Thnks for sharing the pics and happy fishing.

Spoonangler.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

hey great pics. excellent fishing. May the fishing Gods always bless u