->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: help for Goa plz ?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi guys , myself and my pal will be in Goa at Baga beach in middle jan 09 til feb and would really apprciate any help on fishing around this area .

Also if anyone is planning any trips either sea , boat or fresh and are looking for company then would be very interested.

Plan on bring a spinning rod and sea rod each with reels loaded with 30 lbs braid, plus 25 lb mono and also shads , weights, hooks etc .

Will be looking to shore fish thru the night somewhere productive ???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Theres one place in the north of GOA called Tirakhol. The fishing spot over there is not easily accissible. YOu have to drive down to Tirakhol fort and then just before the entrance gate of this hotel/fort you have to enter the calfway on your right walk almost 200 meters along the calfway and you have to get down a very difficult cliff its not impossible though Coz I have been there quite a few times. You may ask the locals out there and they will be able to assist you.
VERY IMP: The fish there is caught on green moss. This can be found on the beach near to the cemetry in the same vicinity.

GEAR: Light gear with 8 to 10 lbs mono, use small hooks (12#) and EGG sinkers try adding a bobber as well.
FISH CAUGHT: I really dont know the english name for this one but locally they call is (BHANOSHI) or something like that. Avoid long cast as its a rocky area. Try anything between 15 to 30 meters.

Beware of strong currents. Expect hook ups as well :)

Expect some groupers as well.

Cheers. Do let me know if you come across some good spots in the north goa area.

Desmond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

gorstyman.
Use the search facility.
There's masses of information about fishing in Goa on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:45 am 

Will do Des and thanks ...will post our adventures on here , be they good results or bad lol.

Ken , cheers m8 , have worn the search button out over the last few weeks reading about Goa on here . Have gained a lot of useful info from all the members, plus your articles too, so many thanks.

I dont think an angler can ever have too much up to the minute info, hence the enquiry.

The new bit to us is the lure fishing , we have fished around the world a bit but nearly always bait fishing . We would love to catch some of the species weve read about so intend fishing a lot of nights around river mouths with lures.

Bought some big minnows, poppers and wedges .....so heres hoping lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi once again,

Ref to this post. (http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1994) this is the fish that I was referring to. By the way when would you be in GOA and where and how long. I plan to be there for vacations, though not confirmed. Probably the last week of January 09.

Tight lines.. DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

The poppers and metal might come in handy if you have access to a decent spot for daytime fishing but a selection of 4 and 5" shads or 5 and 6" shallow running minow lures (How many times have I said that?) will see you right.
Really big lures sound like a good idea but are actually a bit restrictive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:42 pm 

Des , will be there from 19th Jan. til 4th feb. and staying at Riverside Regency , Baga beach. Our wives will be with us but will not stop us fishing in the evenings lol.

Ken , Have bought some shads like you recommended in an earlier article , but all the minnows I look at seem very light so can i ask how the hell do you mange to cast them any distance?.

Have thought about adding maybe a swan shot, or small drilled bullet, to the line but guess this would drastically alter the action of the lure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

Well I don't remember mentioning minnow or lures anywhere for fishing in tirakhol. In this thread the gear that I have mentioned is specifically for rabbit fish and they are caught on green moss that grows on the shore. Perhaps you shud read my first post in this thread.
Secondly, casting minow lures (Rapala) is quite cumbersome and you dont get good length coz of thier light weight. But from what I have noticed it varies from the reel and the line as well. As like I was able to cast further with Daiwa tierra 4000 and a 20 lb braid. If you experience windy conditions try casting sideways and shoot the lure at a height. Swan shots could help it will give you weight as well as some depth dive.

Keep us updated how you fair :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:34 am 
Fishaholic

To maximise distance, I tend to try to buy suspending minows rather than floaters as the increase in density will give you an extra couple of meters on the cast.
Even without this though, a typical floating 5"minow lure will weigh in at 17 or 18g and a 6" lure should be about 28g - I know I'm mixing and matching imperial and metric measurements but with the US being such a big lure market, most plugs tend to be sized for Americans.
With a 30lb braid like Power Pro, you should be able to throw either of these a good distance with a proper lure rod but with 25lb mono, your distance will be cut back a bit, especially casting into wind.
I've been tring to think what might be holding you back and to be honest, I can only think of three things.
Is your spool properly filled ? With mono it should be almost up to the lip of the spool and it should be just a bit less than that with braid.
Are you using very light balsa lures like the "Rapala original minow" ? If you are, throw them away because they're useless. Go with something like a "Bomber Long A" or a suspending equivelant.
When you say 30lb braid, do you mean 30lb Fireline ? Fireline is great stuff but it's pretty stiff and massivly underatted in terms of its breaking strength. From memory, 30lb Fireline actually has an actual breaking strain in excess of 70lb. As a consequence, it's relativly thick and stiff and way over the top for any surt of normal spinning unless you're after monster GT's and the like. 14lb Fireline however fully up to the job of dealing with barramundi, MJ's and the like and wil cast a lot further than 30.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:38 pm 

Many thanks guys , your replies are much appreciated and in-depth.

Ken, yes some of the lures are very light floaters , being made from balsa wood. Will try and get hold of some of the Bomber long A and suspending types. The line we have is actually 30lb flouro braid that weve bought and feels quite supple, this is loaded up to an 8th of an inch from the lip of the reels. May have to get a spool of lighter braid like you suggest just to give us extra distance and combine it with the Bombers.

Once again , thanks to both of you for replying, and i,ll post our results and pics here .