->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:12 pm 

Finally, this Sunday I get to meet the famed and gracious Ali Bhai at Powai Lake. Barring the initial hiccups of finding the clubhouse, the rest of the things were just like a dream.

At the club, the moment we said the magic words “Ali Bhai”, pat comes a boat to take us (Oh yes! I was accompanied by my girlfriend! 8) ) to Ali bhai’s Machan. Once in the machan Ali Bhai’s warm & cordial welcome put us at ease. We were introduced to Rajat-da and Bablu bhai, who received us without a single crinkle on our invasion.

Even before we could take in the scene of the luxurious machan, complete with bed and cooking ensemble, Ali bhai worked up a zero-weigh rig on my rod while patiently explaining the knots, float and different rig systems that others are using that day. Then he ground baited a spot for me, cast the rig and handed over the rod to me; and before I know, I was fishing!! :lol:

Just within few minutes I started getting bites on line, this being my first time in freshwater, I jerked my rod prematurely couple of times. Ali Bhai continued putting fresh bait on my and advised to wait for a good bite and then strike. He said the key was to strike when the float is moving, mostly down but sometimes could be up too.

It will be some 15 minutes, 3rd or 4th cast, there some movement in float, and I swung my rod. What happened for the next 30 minutes, was just beyond my imagination.

When the hook was set, instinctively I started reeling, but surely, the fish had a better idea and my reel start screaming!! I read many times about this magical sound, but you really have to experience it yourself to believe that a simple mechanical sound could be so exciting that it makes your hair standout.

Now all the focus was on me (including GF, who just started looking bored!) and Rajat-da and bablu bhai started debating on the size and species of the fish, but all the time Ali Bhai was standing next to me talking in a non-hurried soothing voice telling me to relax, “do not hurry,… enjoy this moment…”. He explained that either of us should be pulling at a time not together. The fish was taking out my reel in short burst, while others revised their guesses on the size, all I could hear was Ali bhai’s, “Anindya, take it easy, do not hurry, we will play the fish entire evening if we have to…”

Alternating between the fish’s run and rest, I could reel in some length, but still no sign of the fish on the surface. The fish just refused be bought anywhere near the machan. At one point, seeing my reel screaming continuously and unable to reel in a single inch, I asked whether the drag on the line has become undone. Ali bhai smiled at my oblivion and showed me how to clutch the reel with fingers while reeling in.

I did not had any concept of how much time it has elapsed, I can occasionally hear the praise of Rajat-da “excellent play…etc...” I really didn’t know who was playing whom. All I was trying to do was hold on the rod and not do anything stupid to break the line. When Bablu bhai said the fight is going on for 20 minutes only then I realised how long I have been doing this.

Few minutes later, we get to see the first glimpse of the fish, all shouted in unison, “Mrigal…at least 3 Kg!!!”, all I saw was a two foot long silvery fish who still have got lot of fight left in it and refuses heading to net.

After few short runs, ultimately, the fish was netted and I sighed out my breadth. But the fun was far from over, before I take my next breadth the rod is taken away from my hand, the fish unhooked and handed over to my hand with expert advise on how to hold it. All I could do was break a silly smile for the camera. :oops:

Later, when Ali Bhai asked did I felt the tremors of excitement, I guess I was too stunned to react positively. However, when after couple of hour when I saw the fish again, it started my heart racing, “Oh my God! I can’t believe I have caught this…” :shock:

Shortly after it, I caught another small mrigal (foul hooked actually!) :oops: which was released after a brief photo session.

There was no further catch, but I learnt so much in those few hours which god knows would have taken how much time otherwise…

The environment in Powai is something surreal, you can’t believe you are in middle of the mad city, yet so peaceful so calming.

So guys, here I present the first freshwater catch…….I couldn’t have even dreamt of catching it if not for the all the expertise and guidance and counselling of Ali Bhai.

I was just an instrument behind the mastermind of a genius.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Startup Anindya.....atleast you didnt have to dial 911 this time.

Ali has / is always very accomodating & who ever has gone to Powaii has experienced his hospitality.

I'm sure Rajat (aka Partner) will vouch for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 am 
Fishaholic

Really nice report mate. Ali sure gives every newbie a flying start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 am 
Fishaholic

Anindya a very good start & the luck is with you as you have got one of the best Professor of freshwater angling .......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Good catch Anindya
May your luck continue
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Fish...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Good catch Anindya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:16 pm 
Fishaholic

It was my pleasure to fish with you Anindya. Once again, congratulation on a very fine catch.

Regards.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:42 am 

Thank you all for the kind words!

Keyur: :lol: No, I didn't required to dial, because all the help I required was ready and standing on my left. 8)

Ali Bhai: The pleasure was mine!! :D :D

Cheers
Anindya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Anindya,

Excellent start. I too must vouch for the extremely large hearted & spontaneous response of Ali Bhai & Bablu Bhai. I had landed up in Mumbai for a shopping expedition & a call to Bablu Bhai resulted in a invitation to fish at Powai with Ali Bhai. I grabbed the oppurtunity to see the Master in action & landed up there post haste. It was a total lecture demo with Ali Bhai patiently explaining all the nuances of angling in Powai. But alas, no luck inspite of trying various ground bait & feeder rig combinations ,but I am sure ,my day will also come. See you all at Harihareshwar.

Pratap Nair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Good fish Anindya..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:12 pm 
Fishaholic

the fish on the picture...is it a rohu?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:06 pm 
Fishaholic

looks like a mrigal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Anindya,

Nice catch. One day I will have to go to Mumbai and meet Ali Bhai and learn a lot from him.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Anindya,

Congrats on such a fine catch.
Regards to Ali Bhai as well.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Fish,

Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

congratulations 4 da gr8 catch n 2 hv da opportunity 2 b wid ali bhai.... :-) u r in perfect company dude.... congratulations again... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Anindya the fight was really great and so was the joy on your face when you landed the fish. You are now hooked for your life mate [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] BTW the fish was great in taste too thanks :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:20 pm 

Had a chance to visit Powai a couple of times as a rank amateur.... been on Ali Bhai's Machan Once...... no words can describe his wonderful hospitality ..... the next time was being a "pardner" to Rajat Dada....was a wonderful experience sitting on a boat with him ... well ..Thanks Santosh...you made me meet some really wonderful people... and offlate i hv been in touch with Tathagata ... never met him...but he sure knows how to be "friendly"... looking forward to see and meet you all coming saturday... till then CIAO :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:56 pm 

Thank you guys!

I must say, you all are the friendliest bunch people that I have came across so far anywhere on the net...

Rajatda, I think I'm hooked too deep, there is no escape now ;-)

I'm seriously thinking of witnessing the IA frenzy at Harihareshwar....fingers crossed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hey are you same guy who pached up the one of the IA member at Harihareshwar???? Good show buddy!!!!

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Anindya,
Great report, i enjoyed your report.

Hi Ali - Keep up your good work. You're a great help.

Regards,

Ronald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:36 pm 

Quote:
Hey are you same guy who pached up the one of the IA member at Harihareshwar???? Good show buddy!!!!

Hi Tats,

Yep, that was me. Sorry I couldn't interect much...

Thanks, Ronald!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm 

Hey Anindya,

Thanks for the writeup... I was keen on experimenting with fishing, never done it before...i would be shifting to Powai to stay in Jan next month. Can i have details of the fishing club and would love to try my hands once.

Thanks
Amar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 pm 

Hi Amar,

Welcome to IA

Suggest to get in touch with Ali bhai, Rajat-da or Santosh in this forum and you will be welcomed like a long lost friend :-)

Are you by any chance a member in Indiamike as well?

Cheers
Anindya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 pm 

yes i am active on IM...

just located you on IM too... :) you should keep a tab on the mumbai meetup forum and attend it next time, would be lovely having you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Congtats Anindya on your first fish!! Nobody forgets their first catch....I still remember mine, in Cuttack Orissa more than 45 years ago.

"Hooked for life" as mentioned by Rajat, reminds me of an incident. I was teaching a bunch of kids how to fish at a lake in Yelegiri (TN). After their session was over their young lady teacher asked me if she could try. I cast out and handed the rod to her. Within minutes she had a fish on and the reel was screaming. I told her how to 'pump' the fish and bring it in. She could not land it as we were standing 5 feet above the water level, but we all saw the fish which must have been 3 kg ,before it got away.

Shaking with excitement she handed the rod back to me and her first words were," where in Bangalore can I buy a fishing rod ?"

Fishing is all about sharing the joy and pleasure of the sport, more so with someone who is new, and Ali Bhai, the fine angler that he is, has displayed this quality in abundance.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Anindya,

Congrats mate. A good start for your first Major fish. Of course u had the legendary Ali Bhai to guide you through the whole incident.

Keep up the good work and welcome on board.