->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

hi everyone,

some of you may know my plan was to head off to africa on my bicycle but the idea of cycling through the european winter again is not particularly inviting. The lure of india and the chance to catch a barramundi again has been nagging away for the last few months so i had to take action. i'll be arriving with a friend, nils (who i cycled through tibet with) on the 5 of november in mumbai.

The help and support i have recieved since i joined this forum has blown me away so i hope i can be cheeky ask for some more assistance. Nils and I have decided to kayak from mumbai, south along the coast to goa and depending how the first leg of the expedition goes maybe further towards karnataka and kerala. we will be travelling in ocean kayaks, either prowlers or tridents and will be carrying tackle to suit all occasions.

I hope to be able to record interesting features along the coast and for this i will be carrying a gps to take co-orinates of river mouths, drop offs, reefs, wrecks and other fishy looking spots. I hope between this information and notes i take, everyone on the forum will benefit when planning a fishing trip along this section of the indian coastline in the future.

we are still in the planning stage but everything seems to be taking shape nicely so hopefully things should be ready by the end of the month. i would like to ask you guys for your thoughts, ideas or advice for this trip. All input will be appreciated on fishing aswell as other aspects, as this is the first time we have done a trip of this nature so i think we are going to have to learn very quickly. of course i am particularly interested in fish species we might encounter!

I would also like to ask whether someone in mumbai will be able to help us arrange to transport the kayaks from mumbai airport, to a suitable place for launching. our initial thoughts are to start from somewhere near the gate way of india in colaba but there might be a much better quieter place close by that someone can suggest. the kayaks are 4.1 metres long and 74cm wide so we will probably need a truck or tempo as i don't fancy strapping them to the roof of a taxi! would a vehicle such as a truck be easy to organise at the airport or is it possible for one of you guys to organise something for us in advance?

We would also really like to fish the competition on the 8th and i have already been in contact with Ali. the fact that so many anglers will be there with so much in common really makes us reluctant to miss this special occasion. i think we can easily leave our boats in a hotel in mumbai, make it down and then return to mumbai afterwards to start rowing. Would it be possible to get a lift with someone/or on the minibus (that i think is going)to hari. if everything is full we can get a train if someone may suggest the nearest station to the gulley.

during the trip we will be away from internet but once goa is reached i promise a full write up of the expedition. that is if the sharks don't get us! if we decide to stay in goa (return date 3 march 2009) the kayaks will be available for you guys to use as long as you give me advanced warning as i imagine i will be spending most of my time out fishing!

thank you kindly to everyone in advance, i really appreciate it, :D

Scott

http://.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic, you are living out my dreams. I'm in Chennai, any help you want in Chennai you got it. Not much to give but in Chennai what's mine is yours.

Good luck and God speed.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:16 am 
Fishaholic

you rock man....
wish you all the best.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

This is just fantastic.. Pm on the way.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:39 pm 
Fishaholic

This is just Fantastic! I believe this is the first ever such attempt to row a kayak all the way from Mumbai to Goa.

I don't know if it is feasible to fit a Rudder and a Sail to your Kayak. If it is possible to have a Sail and a Rudder fitted, then I suggest you sail instead of rowing all the time. You would coserve your energy and save time of cruzing. This is just a Brain storming idea.

If you do not want to launch your Kayak from Gateway Of India, then I suggest another spot, that is Girgaum Chowpaty, which is north of Gateway of India. It is a good Beach.

You may be aware that you would need a permission from Customs Department for kayaking from Mumbai to Goa.

I suggest, you contact Royal Bombay Yacht Club (RBYC) for all the regulatory information beforehand. They would guide you properly for everything, including the transportation of Kayaks from Air Port to launching site.

PM me for any further assistance.

P.S. I had sailed from Mumbai to Karwar on a Sea Bird Class of Yacht in 1980.

With warm Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Scott,

you have an awesome thing going on.....really envy you. All the very best for your trip. May you have a fanatastic trip, a trip to remember & a safe one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Wish you all the best ... scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Scott I'm already turning green with envy.

QUOTE ("that is if the sharks don't get us")
Dont worry our sharks are good. I have not heard of any shark attacks on that area. Even if something happens, dont you worry, YOU WILL BE A HISTORIAN. LOL LOL :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Dam! I am going to ignore this thread. Can't take it. Makes my life look so small.

Best of luck and happy fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Best of luck, guys.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Its awesome guys but just a word of caution ,besides all the Govt redtape involved ull have to watch out for the numerous fishing trawlers along the way i presume u guys will be hugging the coast .About da sharks no need to worry just small reef sharks and few hammer heads.I also would suggest that you guys be sent off by some emminent minister or some govt official that will ensure no one worries you guys.I am sure some off our members on IA are well connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks everyone for your delightful replies. its really overwhelming.when we pull it off i will do my best to share as much as the trip with you guys as possible when i reach the net afterwards. i feel really lucky to be in a position to do this trip and i know for many people it is not as simple as it is for me.

we will be hugging the coast on the way down and will hopefully not let it out of sight so we are not too worried about trawlers.

our main problems will be carrying enough water and food. the boats have over 200kg carrying capacity. we can carry alot of rice so we can eat alot of fish curry. as for water i think if we can get 10l of fresh water every two days we should be ok. from my previous trip down the coast i don't think it should be a problem, its just planning ahead and getting it right.

the bigger problem is definately the red tape. A few members have expressed this concern so please could anyone with advice or help on this issue please contact me. tonight i'll email the royal bombay yacht club as a couple of you guys have suggested, and see if they can help me in the right direction

kind regards, Scott

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm 
Enlightened

Would that be Nils Roth from Germany, say hi to him from me. did some threadfin salmon fishing with him while he was here near cochin in april, downed some beers as well.

Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

hi vincent,

yup thats it, Nils told me about meeting you while on his trip. saw the photos of some threadfin he caught. great stuff. hopefully we will be as lucky on this trip. i'll say hi to him when i see him soon. maybe we'll even be down your way in the next few months so i'll sure to drop you a line if its ok.

scott