->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Escapades of Jude, Owen, Robin, Bunty and I, at the Wasi lakes.
Always expect the unexpected. Now if that isn’t the silliest statement I ever heard! Heck you can expect everything, nothing is unexpected! Are you confused? Imagine how confused I was when a mahaseer about 5kgs or so came on the end of my 3kg line!
It had been one of those days we all have, where you just could not get a bite. We were at Wasi lakes around eleven in the morning. Fishing was simply terrible, with the hot sun, very windy, and of course, no fish. WASI is a pristine lake; arguably, you could drink the water straight off the coracle. Located on the channel of the BWSSB, it is now slowly filling up with water hyacinth and water lily, the water coming in, churls into mini whirlpools and open water. Those who are new to the area are ill advised to venture too far in the coracle towards the channel leading to the BWSSB head works, because after a couple of turns and the swift current.
To get out of the sun, and have a beer or two, we idled around to the front of the tree on the banks and under an overhanging branch. The relief from the sun was a welcome change, and it allowed us to cool off and relax.
Robin and I had set a couple of rods on the banks. As we drank beer, we could see the telltale slow pecks of a small carp or tilapia on our ragi bait. Slowly, we would reel in the bait, which was nibbled away either on the bottom or top. Or find a good size tilapia stubbornly attached to the hook.
Jude on the bund began catching these tilapia at a fairly fast pace. The total tilapia caught were fifteen in number.
A while later, as my bait once again began moving as if a tilapia was on it, I slowly and gently began pulling the resistance back toward the shore. This one seemed as if it had a huge big tilapia, because it was a lot harder to move toward the shore. As it moved closer, the resistance increased. I reached for the net thinking I had really gotten a huge tilapia. Slowly I lifted my rod to bring it to the surface.
As I watched, a dark shadowy area was rising toward the surface. At about the same time that I realized this was a rohu, he swirled on the surface, throwing splashes of water everywhere, and headed away from me like a miniature freight train. He had swallowed the ragi, and was firmly hooked on. Brought him in gently, weighed my catch and released it, pronto.
Know that first and foremost, Jude and Riaz are `meat` fishermen. Put food on the table! Any of you who have read their exploits know of their obsession with fish.
Another of us, Owen is also obsessed with fishing. Bunty sitting on the bund busily casting-reeling in, casting-reeling in, suddenly had a huge tug and before you could say `jack robinson` his reel screaming found his catch taking off towards the channel. Owen screaming and waving from the other side of the lake `send the coracle`. Bunty trying his level best to see that he does not lose his catch, a mahaseer, went towards the Owen, in the coracle. Bunty couldn’t bring him in. So after him, Owen and Bunty went! Only, they weren’t going anywhere. The catch had run off about fifty yards and stopped.
They brought the coracle over to the bund again. The water was about ten feet deep, so in the clear water, they could not see the catch. As they sat on top of him, the mahaseer would occasionally move two or three feet in one direction or another. Bunty kept pressure on him, trying to lift him off the bottom, but he simply would not budge. Did I mention that I they were two ghillies, Owen, Bunty and Riaz trying to figure out what to do?
For over an hour and a half they tried anything and everything with the fish with no success. On one occasion, one ghilly took one of the boat paddles and poked it around him to get him to move. He would move only when he saw fit, and only where he wanted to move, under a rock.
The definition of fishing includes patience, but after about two hours of attempting to budge this fish, Owen and gang had apparently run out of that particular commodity. I guess he figured that if the line had not broken by now, he might be able to apply a little more pressure.
At any rate, the Ghilly took the line in his hand just where it entered the water, and began to lift. Low and behold, the fish began to rise! For just a moment they could see the entire fish about four feet under the water. And for a fleeting few, heart-pounding seconds Bunty thought and they all believed that they may catch this fish.
The fish had seen the Ghilly, and with one quick swirl he broke off and swam away.
The next thirty minutes was a school of sorts, edged by Owen, they managed to gingerly coaxed the mahaseer into the landing net. The mahaseer, a beauty weighed in at 7 kgs.
I guess I didn’t learn my lesson, because later in the evening I landed a beauty, a Mahaseer.
On the whole the journey and fishing was not bad, with Owen landing a beautiful Mahaseer, at the Forbes.
Shall request Owen to put in the inputs of the photographs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report.. eagerly awaiting the pics.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Bobee says you will post the pics. Please do that. You guys are having a good time. All the best for the next trip.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Ha Ha ...
Meat Fisherman :lol:
Its just that I have such infinite patience while fishing that Tilapia fishing is what keeps me going. Presently I am into Therapy :roll:

On the whole we had a great time ...and looking forward to the next trip ..in the near near future.

And here's some meat to the gravy, that Bobby has been dishing out ...

Robin with his Mahseer :-)

Bobby and his fluke catch.. :twisted:

Riaz on the bund waiting for his grass carp.. :?
.All of which seems to have migrated to the other end of the lake under the hyacinth.

Owen with his 10pm wallago...

A closeup of one of the snakeheads at Forbes..

And the red jersey or undies :twisted: goes to Bunty....

Finally.. yours truly... Tilapia catch....for therapy..good stress buster :wink:

Didn't Bobby mention the eel ??

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 pm 
Fishaholic

lovely pics jude.
your pic's amazing!!
very proud of u my fellow poacher!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 am 
Fishaholic

Aaron wrote:
very proud of u my fellow poacher!!

:D :D :D :D . Good show guys.... [smilie=hellyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:25 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Fishing Guys.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Nice! Very nice.

Have to get down to that stretch of water some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

nice show
thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jude,

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject: escapades at wasi
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

more pictures

Post subject: Re: escapades....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
more pictures

"The fish had seen the Ghilly, and with one quick swirl he broke off and swam away.
The next thirty minutes was a school of sorts, edged by Owen, they managed to gingerly coaxed the mahaseer into the landing net. The mahaseer, a beauty weighed in at 7 kgs. "

Bobbee .. the Asia cup got over yesterday and youre still bowling googlies ... how can Owen coax the fish into the net after he broke off and swam away " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: too much beer in the overhanging trees mate ... hows you been ... u look real well in the pics ....and the humour is still intact .... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Jude ...OMO's 10 pm wallago :lol: :lol: :lol: I like that .... hey OMO you shpoulda been singing to the fat lady at 10 pm at night instead of phising mate :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,
whats this...more pics....more pics...
Of what ?

Freddy,
Owen and Bunty after a gruelling day in the sun... get back by dusk ...have a coupla downers .... and head back in the dark...like two miners ,picks(poles) and headlights 8)
Thats when they got this wallago... But something strange happened after that and while Owen struck...Bunty's line snapped on something big...this was the night before Bunty hit that big 7kg Mahseer.
But I will leave it to Bunty and Owen to tell you the tale.

And just to set the record straight :wink: .... Anyone who goes for Tilapia this side of the woods (water :?: ) is considered poacher !!!

Thanks all for the good wishes and may you all make it here sometime.
More the merrier !!

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats guys interesting report and good pics keep them coming
Rajat [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

June 2008-Rohu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
June 2008-Rohu

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ...... fluff I have to stop watching this topic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Sanity ... now thats something bobbee .... nice fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Whew! Finally. Nice one Bobbee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

Nice fish Bobee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

lovely fish bobby...

Post subject: Rohu.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

Lovely specimen Bobee and handled with tender loving care. Enjoyed the write up very much which brought the whole session to life. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Glenn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry, Bobbee.
Didn't have that pic.

Jude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm 

Hello Bobbee,
Nice write-up and beautiful Rohu you have there.

Pran

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 pm 
Fishaholic

bobee nice rohu congrats what was the bait ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:35 pm 
Fishaholic

just ragi with hing and jeera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm 

Tackle details ,Bobby?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

Rod Rapala Diver
Reel Daiwa regal plus 4000bri