->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Carping in England
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:33 pm 

pics come first. mull over these while I get the vapour locked brain to throw in a few words...

Henry picked me up at bristol and after a toss and a spill, and a car backing into us, we set out fishing at 5pm.
A lovely swim, stright out of national geographic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Eljefi,

Nice pics and nice location. I wonder what Henry is shooting with his catapult! Is he casting a Bait?

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Nice! Lucky you. doc. Henry looks in good form!

Arun, the catapult is used to concentrate groundbait like kernels of sweetcorn and boilies around the hookbait.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bops for the info on Catapult use for ground baiting.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:34 pm 
Fishaholic

hey guys good show henry don't be shocked if few of us land up to catch some fish with you really cool spot thanks for sharing

Quote:
Arun, the catapult is used to concentrate groundbait like kernels of sweetcorn and boilies around the hookbait.

Bops[/quote]

didn't know that trick that's neat thanks bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:51 am 

rajat, thats the standard form-dunk ground bait -rather, concentrate on one spot-then slip in a similar bait on a 10 barbless hook and bingo-you got a decent fight on your hands.I was using a DAM 2.4m spinning rod with a shimano 5000 baitrunner, no float or any fancy stuff-just a 25g weight and pellet bait on the hook-
Henry did it all-from 11 and 14m poles, ledgeng with a regular spinning rod AND using 2.6lb line, hauling in 3kg+ mirror carp with the consummate skill of an old master-what a way 2 get some major OTJ training...more snaps soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:22 am 

That mallard drake, and his umpteen cousins and aunt, are the biggest thieves in the queens kingdom! ate away all the ground bait, they did!
After a smooth trip from Dublin, Henry took me from the bristol airport straight to the swim,
Personalised no plates

about 10mi from Bristol, at 5 ish in the evening-masala chicken, tea, a DAM rod, a huge box of fishing goodies and a shimano 5000 baitrunner.A spade ended no 10, tonnes of ground bait , and away we go

As is usual of me, I normally strike form by day two-so itwas upto Henry to give a demo of 11m pole fishing and he started with a good carp , then a veil, then a mirror carp-all of the 7lb + range.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/el ... 180054.jpg
Well, i enjoyed my tea and chicken and smoke and the environs, and the other anglers in their studied insouciance,

and forget to even bait my hook at times...thats the truth.
We headed home to henry's manor, met up with his exotic menagerie-he hand rears and hand feeds the birds-the feathered ones atleast-and they just wont get enough of him-

Dinner was baked Trout with potatoes and -lip smacking.

Day 2 began on a wet and cold note and i checked out the weather with an experienced, half open eye and promptly went back to bed.When henry finally woke me up at 8-30am-it was our ETD and I put on my cheery face and went down for brekker.A major belch later, we were away in the always 'packed to the gunnels ' fishomatic, Gonsalves Express. same road , another lake-

Same story of a loaf of bread, a bowl of wine etc etc with due regards to the drunken tentmaker-past 1pm and no strike.lots of bites and truckloads of ground bait, nada, zilch .

I go up and get a cuppa from the restaurant, a couple of smokes,take some pics, pull up stakes and decide to become Henry's neighbour-peg 33, allrise...

not only that, having being reduced to penury in the department of ground baiting, begged myself a hand full from Henry in the next peg and cast out 2 m away and decided to while awaythe afternoon with improving my thumb flicks a la pellet bait.

Well, the whole evening went on like that-except for the SMALL ones which i would unhook and put back, any fish meriting a pic , ended in a dulcet voiced bellow for Henry in the next peg-ah, forgot to mention, we were sharing a landing net-having forgotten the second one at home.
cold, wet bedraggled (more like bedazzled) 6ft and less from the bank, 3-4 pellets as ground bait, and the carp couldnt stop hitting them!
the line was 8lb mono-barbless no 10 hook-never lost a fish...
except for the usual grunt and a curse from the canny neighbour- ''oooh F**k lost him,D**n, he got away...''and the usual anglers solemnities, I had no idea what ol man river was upto.
End of the line, 8-30pm and after the last hookset,C&R , no ciggies and am longing for a cuppa brew, we decided to pack up and :

pack away the lefgering set up, the 11m pole, the 14m pole , the whle kit and caboodle

came the innocent request- ''come and help me with the keep net, will you- a bit heavy for me.''

Foosh and a half-that was par for the course for HG, all the fish the camera could see and a whole lot more that were nestled away, so after the incredulous silence, the release with each splash louder than its predecessor, and ...I'm posted for spine surgery on sat next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Looks like you had a good trip lads..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I know this old war horse named Henry and I know the feelings :wink: . great going Asif and nice report. Henry Bhau, I am looking forward to your next visit to India. As you are sort of a GURU for me, when it comes to bottom fishing, I am looking forward to bear the suffering of your company for few days. :lol: :lol: . Just joking man. Once again, nice fishing and great pictures.

Keep it up.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

wow nice show
nice pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Asif, Henry,

Seems like you had a great time out there. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

I envy you , Doc !! Simply brilliant !!

Must have been amazing to spend two days with one of the GREATS !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:51 am 

Yup gavin, revelations
Great friend, cordon bleu cook, smashing host, and he has a way with birds you would die for :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

:D

Post subject: carping in england
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:18 am 
Enlightened

Hi Guys, once again I issue an open invitation for any I/A why wants to fish around Bristol. Just get a return ticket to my place and it will not cost you any more while you are my guest. I will see to all your needs while you are here. Good grub and a feather bed to relax you and not forgetting excellent fishing. I can accommodate two persons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:07 am 
Fishaholic

You guys really had a good time [smilie=superkewl.gif] .... nice report thanks for sharing..

Post subject: Re: carping in england
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:49 am 
Fishaholic

Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Guys, once again I issue an open invitation for any I/A why wants to fish around Bristol. Just get a return ticket to my place and it will not cost you any more while you are my guest. I will see to all your needs while you are here. Good grub and a feather bed to relax you and not forgetting excellent fishing. I can accommodate two persons.

Henry,

This is a very generous offer. I am at a loss for words...and that seldom happens :D

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:21 am 
Fishaholic

Great going guys. Looks like you had a blast :-)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:31 am 
Fishaholic

Hi!

Thank you for your report!

Well I have a question...What kind of bait did you use to catch those carps :) ? Well Actually I've tried to catch this type of carp for a long time now but i Don't know what kind of bait I should use :/ !

Post subject: Carping in England
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:28 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Aircut 64,
we were using carp pellets 8mm. halibut flavour. Dynamite bait co.
Size of hook 14. barbless. These pellets were also used as groundbait. Any further questions will be welcome.
Regards,
Henry.

Post subject: Re: Carping in England
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Aircut 64,
Size of hook 14. barbless. These pellets were also used as groundbait. Any further questions will be welcome.
Regards,
Henry.

Hey Thanks Henry :D !
I'll try to find carp pellets here in Sweden then :) !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Aircut64 wrote:
Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Aircut 64,
Regards,
Henry.

Hey Thanks Henry :D !
I'll try to find carp pellets here in Sweden then :) !

I've also heard that carps hooks pretty well on Soya beans too :o
But that's just a myth...Maybe I should try it out someday xD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:28 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Aircut 64,
talking about carp baits. Carp can be educated to accept almost anything edible. Bread,breadpaste,chick peas,boiled corn,dog biscuits(secured to the hook by tiny silicon bands) and many more.
The secret is to select two or three areas in the lake or river and daily feed the areas with one kg.each of which ever bait you intend to use. Do this every day for a week after which you can fish the areas with confidence. Its all about educating the fish to that particular bait.
Try this, it will surprise you.
Henry.

Post subject: Re: carping in england
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:27 am 
Fishaholic

Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Aircut 64,
talking about carp baits. Carp can be educated to accept almost anything edible. Bread,breadpaste,chick peas,boiled corn,dog biscuits(secured to the hook by tiny silicon bands) and many more.
The secret is to select two or three areas in the lake or river and daily feed the areas with one kg.each of which ever bait you intend to use. Do this every day for a week after which you can fish the areas with confidence. Its all about educating the fish to that particular bait.
Try this, it will surprise you.
Henry.

Hey Thanks for the advice :) I'll try it out then ;) !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:47 am 
Fishaholic

Henry Gonsalves wrote:
Hi Aircut 64,
Regards,
Henry.

YOU ARE BACK!!
Hope you feel just fine and have that rod ready... :twisted: :twisted: :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ken,
nice to read you. Not quite back. Have to go back this morning to discuss surgery of removal of one Paratyphoid gland.
Only problem is that I miss my dogs when I am not home.
Best regards,
Henry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

That is the hardest part of leaving home. I miss my daughter and them three dogs like hell when I head out. But not to worry mate, everything will be just fine. And they'll love you a bit more when you get back.