->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My First Catch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

After waiting for two long weeks the sky seemed to be clearer of the Dust storm that is going on in the region. On Thursday evening plan was made to go for early morning fishing as it looked to be good time for the incoming tide and sunrise. :-) :D
One of my earlier catch that i didnt wanted to post :oops: :oops: :oops:

My brother and I left early morning for the beach. Weather seemed to be good with clear blue sky and sea seemed to be calm. We reached the beach before sunrise and started immediately with float fishing, aatta was used as bait. Cast after cast we waited for our chance to hook a fish but then it was realized that there were no bites, in the mean time wind started to pick up and sea was no longer calm :shock: :x :cry: :cry:
we shifted from float fishing to bottom fishing and Squid was used as bait. There were few others along with us at the spot waiting for fish to have a bite but then slowly everyone started to leave and there were only two of us left. :? :?
It was 7:00Am and almost two and half hour were gone without a fish, :(
though we have not caught any considerable size of fish in a year but then we do catch smaller one. We were planning to leave, when our so called guru came and told us that the chances of catching fish are slim as the wind speed is too high and fish are not going to bite. We decided to wait for some more time and try our luck, suddenly we started to get few bites but we were not able to set the hook. Squid was now replaced by live fish as bait and we were getting bite after bite but then there was no luck again in converting them into catch. In the mean time our guru caught one flounder and one needlefish of more than 2Kgs (and that’s why he is our guru).
This one is caught by the Guru.

It was 8:00Am and it was time to leave so I started to pack our bags, suddenly I realized that my reel was moving and I grabbed the real and felt the pull. I knew very well that whatever it is on the other end is big enough. I started to reel in the fish slowly, it will be better to say very slowly, fish was in no mood to go down without a fight and for the first time I saw the fish taking to Air. I let the fish go for a run and again started to reel in. I was very scared not to loose the fish as it was a good size fish and on top of that it was supposed to be my first catch. The guy next to me told me to hand him over the reel so that he can reel in the fish as he was scared as well that I will loose the fish but then I wanted to feel the fight and told him that even if I loose the fish I don’t care but I want to fight the fish. Fish took to air again and my brother and myself were in wonderland seeing the fish going to air, slowly slowly I reeled in and once there was a moment where I felt that I should hand over the reel to other guy but he told me that I have almost got the fish and what im doing good so I carried on with what I was doing. During the fight fish took to air for more than four time and we were delighted when the fish was finally reeled in to the shore.

For the first time in a year that I have started to fish I caught a fish decent enough that I can post on to this forum and here for the first time I am posting picture of fish.

My First Catch.

Identification of fishes are needed.

Im very thankful the forum as I learnt a lot in last one year and it was very helpful while reeling my first catch.
I have seen people loosing fish because they wont let the fish go for a run and will break their lines but then when I was reeling, it was not a tug of war and I exactly knew when the fish wanted to go for the run and I did let it run and tried to tire out the fish so that I can have it easily. Once again I would like to thank you people and wish that from here on I can carry on the same way.

Last edited by hozefaishaqali on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Hoze!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hearty Congrats on your First Catch, Hozefa! :D

A Nice Report and nice Photographs as well. What Rod and Reel you used?

According to me, if I mistake not, the fish you caught is a 'Queen Fish'. It has distinct four spots.

More experienced Anglers could correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Great QUEEN , Hozefa.
It is one hell of a fighting fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:32 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats Hozefa! A queenfish as your first catch is really great!
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:44 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hozefa,

The first fish looks like a white seabream.. I have seen some of the guys from dubai post images of a similar fish, perhaps they will be able to advise you better.

The Second one is a Long Tom

The Third one is a Queenfish

Congrats on your catch

Regards,

Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

it was hell of a fight and i enjoyed it alot.

Mr Arun.
it was caught on a hand reel.....
usually i use a 7' spinning rod which is used for bait casting...

Bobby one thing i want to ask you....
here i have seen these three fish only that are caught very often along with few cat fish and sharks....
what are other fishes tat can be expected here.

Last edited by hozefaishaqali on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Nice catch! Keep it up.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats/Mubarik on your First Catch
best of luck in future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats.

Cheers,
madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:

Bobby one thing i want to ask you....
here i have seen these three fish only that are caught very often along with few cat fish and sharks....
what are other fishes tat can be expected here.

Hi Mate,

I really have no idea, perhaps some of the guys who live in the area may have a better clue. Perhaps Keyur will be able to help.

From the posts I have been through from the guys in that area in addition to what you have caught you can expect Barracuda, Hamor and GT.

Sorry I cannot be of much help here.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Hoze,

That's a great looking Queenie there! A fantastic first catch. What were you using as bait? Looking forward to more posts from you in the future espcially since you have some great fishing there.

Tight lines,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks MM
i was using Live fish as bait...
and these 2 were caught on the same...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrat Hoxefa

Nice Catch

first go caught a queen, I am sure king is arround as well

Cheers!!!
M

Post subject: Hozefa's first fish!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch Hozefa! your persistence/patience and your skills seems to have paid off against all the odds. If you are using squid for bream I suggest you cut strips about 25mm to 30mm long and 12mm wide and flatten/soften it by beating it on a rock or stone with a piece of wood like a mallet or similar before passing the eye of the hook three times thru the strip at about 10mm centres, and finally leaving the point exposed with10mm dangling from under the point. .Do the same with the tentacles which are a lot tougher and require additional softening. Use a running ball sinker about the size of a marble and a trace about 50 cm long from the swivel on which your sinker will sit/rest.I use light line[6lbstrength] on the main line with 8lb trace, but since you are just starting, you could use 8 or 10 lb line and 12 lb trace especially since Long Tom and Queen Fish are also taking the bait, although both these species prefer live bait, and if fishing for them, go for a heavier line.And another tip regarding these latter species, they do like squally weather, and being predators, they come out hunting when conditions are rough, because the smaller bait fish also come out as their instincts and animal cunning make them feel safe under the foam and froth whipped up by the rough conditions.
Happy fishing .
Cheers,
Glenn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hozefa,
Thats really cool, you got a Queenfish as your first catch. And glad that you enjoyed the fight..
May you catch many more fishes....

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:15 pm 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali, congrads on your first catch and hoping to see many more from you.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:45 am 
Fishaholic

Well done mate. Keep it up. I hope you will catch many more fishes in future.
Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:43 pm 
Fishaholic

congrats on your first one Partner they are going o be many more keep it up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
Hi Hozefa,
Thats really cool, you got a Queenfish as your first catch. And glad that you enjoyed the fight..
May you catch many more fishes....

Cheers,
Binu

thanks alot
it was your first catch post that kept me going......
and all the credit goes to you....
i also waited for one long year to catch a fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks buddy, but that’s too much flattering :-)
Keep going mate, try surface lures, you would definitely enjoy it more ..

Regards,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
try surface lures, you would definitely enjoy it more ..

Regards,
Binu

im thinking about it pal :wink: :D
my brother is in china and asked him to get some spinning rods and reels for me (want to save on money for time being)....
have seen some poppers and lures here and i will go for it soon....

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

your first catch looks cute dude :wink:

Post subject: Qeen Fish
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:37 am 

Congratulations hozefa. That fish will put up a good fight. We have got a lot of species of fish in the gulf area. Inshore in shallow waters u will get snapper,small trevally, seema, sole fish, cat fish and a lot of rock fish. Inshore in slightly deeper water and a bit away from the cities u will get big bream, large sharry ( also called emperor fish ) , bluefish , permit, GT's. Out in the opean sea in this area u will get queenfish,dorado's,tuna shark and so on. The gulf has a lot of species and some great fishing spots. Jeen can shed some more light as he and his sons fish a lot in the Gulf based in the UAE.

I hope u can start fly fishing and get get your equipment sorted out. Its not easy to get fly fishing gear easily in the gulf.

Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:43 pm 
Enlightened

Well Done Buddy..now that your completely hooked to this sport..wish you many many more catches in the years to come. Tight Lines...