->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 am 
Fishaholic

For the past many years the Nilgiris Trout Fisherman has been collecting his spinners of the small numbers, along with the light rods, reels and lines and having fun. But in the last two years even with fishing licences we are not allowed to fish in the trout lakes where there is a hatchery established bt the British in 1820, due to the fact that the trout lakes are in forest landand therefore are protected wildlife-conveniently forgetting that trout is an exotic fish introduced purely for sport fishing. All the equiptment lying forgotton.

With the murrel season starting we went murrel fishing on the ninth of March,but due to the heavy un-seasonal rains in the Nilgiris and Annamalais all the lakes were full and not a bite. In frustration we went to a canal and cast and got hooked fish, (Carnatic carp)but with the heavy murral equiptment just hauled then out without a fightening chance.

Had the bright idea to reinvent ourselves and on the 30th March went back to the canal with trout equiptment and again what a catch and what a fight the fish gave. Many jumped the hook and the trout hooks got smashed. The fish wieghed from 250 Gms to 500 gms. and many small ones were released .Will host the photos later as I have to read again on how to host.
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Good to see that you guys are making the best of the situation. Carnatic carp can be great fun on trout tackle and on the fly.

Bops

Post subject: Fishing in the Nilgiris
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:17 pm 

Hi,
Anybody fishing in the Nilgiris - Ooty , Conoor , Kotagiri ?
I will be there from a week and was hoping to check out the fishing scene in the hills.
Arjun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

Sounds Good ! Keep it up :) !
Trouts are pretty common in Sweden ^^ , well did the british people introduce the trouts to India ?

Post subject: Trouts
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:25 am 

Aircut64 wrote:
Sounds Good ! Keep it up :) !
Trouts are pretty common in Sweden ^^ , well did the british people introduce the trouts to India ?

As far as I remember trouts were introduced in India by British people in 1909 at Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh

:D just kidding I got this info from a website, I am not that old

Post subject: A suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:19 pm 

Dear Mr Aga,
Trust you remember me, we went Murrel fishing once in the first quarter of the year with Gordon and Anand.
Suggest you get a well made petition,carefully worded by a lawyer, ,signed by all the local anglers and submit it to the local Collector.Perhaps the DSSC Angling Association may be of help in this regard.
It is only when the Forest and Fisheries understand that this is sport, will they open up to this.Also,some measures for increasing their revenue by way of a liberal charge on the license as well as some sponsorships for the hatchery may help change their mind.
Somebody needs to study the organised fishing outside Bangalore and in Uttaranchal,Himachal and make the recommendations.
Unfortunately,Iam on the move all the time and quite busy,however,am ready to help you with this exercise in every way.
warm regards
Praveen