->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Rawal Dam 10 Feb 08
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Finally managed a trip to rawal dam Islamabad. MObin has already posted the report some of the other pics are being posted by me.

Didn't expect to catch anything but My friend MObin and Rohail managed to Land a common carp of Orange coloration ( 3.5Kgs) and a .5 kg common carp respectively.

The curse of Rawal Dam still haunts me though. :oops:

Sunset at Rawal Dam

Mobin with his catch :lol:

Rohail with the same fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:30 am 
Fishaholic

Good Show,

The carp looks a little like a certain formerly bald politician who did well in the polls.

Was it caught on chemical? Common carp seems to be the only fish that doesnt mind biting in winter. Hows the weather? Is it still cold or are things starting to warm up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 am 
Fishaholic

hey nice looking fish, I hope you released it since they are not good to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

Wow! That is one exotic fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:49 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Tathagata & MK.

Ali hows the wetaher at your end. Yup thngs are heating up every day now. The day this fish was caught it was still quite cold. The nite temp was close to 0. But the weather has changed in the last 10-12 days. Its quite warm in the afternoon and the coming of spring is in the air.

This common carp was caught on Atta ( Flour). Planning to go to Head Rasul ( Mandi Bhau din) this week if everything goes fine. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

nice show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Beauty of a fish, exotic and what colours :!: :!:. Is it golden carp ? How big do they grow? I know one 24lb golden carp was caught by Mr. Peter of Chandigarh from Sukhna Lake. And yes, how was the fight??. Do these fish fight well or not? Kindly give full detail.. I too would love to catch one.
Regards,

Ali.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:34 pm 

What colors -- never seen a real one like that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey! Please don't get me wrong.

Don't know about you people but every time I see that fish a chill runs up my spine. It is a freak!!! It should be in a glass bowl. I don't know how I would have reacted seeing it on the end of my line. But thanks to pollution, waste, fertilizers, pesticides and all the other carp out there we are going to be seeing a lot more of them.

Phew, that feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Well Ken, It might be that some one emptied their tank of golden carp in the lake and they adapted to the new environment. Depends on what kind of predetors are in the system of the Lake. I found a site which states that they can grow about 34 Kg.

Check Link : http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/a_intro12.htm

Regards
Ruler of Sun

Last edited by rulerofsun on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:06 am 
Fishaholic

hey pals freak or not that is a really an exotic fish and some damn good pictures please keep them coming . i would love to catch one of them too. Also would love to visit the country it has always fascinated me.May be we fish some time together
with best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Great fish Shaphan, might have put it in a pond if you have one in your house. :?
As for the colour of the fish, in Pakistan common carps come in all sorts of colours. :wink: 8) Red, orange, golden, black, black with golden and red spots and offcourese, the common olive green and silver. I once caught a common carp (gulfaam) which had bright orange colour with black spots. Beautiful fish. By the way, gulfaam in Urdu means "flower like". :wink: I am sure when common carp were imported in Pakistan from China in 60s, this name must have been given after seeing such like fish and not the ugly looking olive colour gulfaams. :roll:
In Pakistani hatcheries, out of hundred gulfaam fry at an average, atleast five are of golden or orange color.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
hey nice looking fish, I hope you released it since they are not good to eat.

Hi Tathagata, gulfaam (common carp) and Talapia, as a general rule amongst Pakistani anglers, are not released when caught. There are so many of them that in fact we feel that our natural habitat is being seriously threatened by these two foreign fish which seem to breed like ants. If you ask Shaphan, he considers it a sin to release gulfaam though I keep telling him that in northern Punjab, gulfaam is angler's only hope in winters.
Many of our local carps (rahu, catla, bata, mrigal, kalbounse etc) are diminishing because there are too many common carps every where and they seem to survive and breed in apparently worst conditions.
Regards
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:58 pm 
Fishaholic

True and they are considered absolute pest in USA, where they are consdered to damage the vegetation of the lakes and rivers.