->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:30 pm 
Fishaholic

It was Friday 25th of Jan evening I was just going through the IA forum & suddenly I got anthu about going to my dream place Pawai (Mumbai), so I called up my respected Angling Mate Mr. Ajay Bhatnagar that if he is interested to join me for this trip. Ajay was like totally agreed for it & said, “I am gamed “. So on Saturday he booked the tickets for Mumbai & told me the dates that we are leaving on Tuesday the 29th of Jan & coming back on 4th of Feb, oh man I was so excited 5 days fishing & only fishing in Pawai, & the count down began. By that time I called up the King of Pawai (Respected Ali Bhai) & the answer from him was “ When & which time & leave the rest on me” so kind of him. Tuesday morning Santosh called me up to just give him a call on the time of boarding & he will be coming on the airport to pick us up. We reached Mumbai at 12.15 am at night & hare he is mate Santosh waiting for us right infront of the airport, he picked us up & took us to the place where I have always dreamed about PAWAI. It was 1.30 at night & I can’t believe it Ali Bhai was waiting for us at their Machan. Man I cant tell you it was all a feeling of a King style welcome. The best part of the trip was that we were going to stay at Pawai Lake only in Ali Bhai’s Machan for the next 5 days.

Next day morning I woke up at 5.00 in the morning as the excitement wont let me sleep the whole night as there was a rod lying in the machan set by Ali bhai only last night so I cast through that rod & sat on the deck after waiting for 15-20 minutes I got a bite tried to hook the fish but only got the scale out. Ali Bhai came in the afternoon 7 told us that it was a Mirgal of around 9-12 Kg which I missed in the morning, so that was my welcome bite from the Monster Carps of Pawai. Then the whole day we saw the jumps & the roles of Catla & other big fellows. Day 1 catch 4 Tilapia & couple of coman carps.

Then start the wait for the bite & we got at least 2 to 3 very good bites every day but was not able to hook them, the best part of the game was that the fish were giving bite on my rod Ajay Ji’s rod but not even sniffing on the Ali’s or the Santosh’s Line.

The time was running like a wild horse, & the king of fishes others caught were like huge as I saw first time a fish trolling a boat with 2 men setting on to it & it was Catla a big one 22.7 Kg. I have no doubts that there will be no other lake in India having this much size of carps in it. The evening’s were the best part of the day when the playing of the fishes start. Even one fine afternoon I was just sitting on the deck of the machan doing nothing when suddenly a catla jumped in front of me & believe you me I just jumped of my cheer as the jump was hardly 1 feet away from me.

Ali bhai taught me many new ground baits & different styles of tying knots. Even he made us met with Rajat, Alex & non other then the prince of Pawai Zaved Bhai, the guy who has just caught the big 103 Lb Mahseer in cavery.

The last day I gat the luck to caught one Rahu of around 4 Kg, & before that we tried all the best & hard we can do, Ali used the best of his baits & his experience to make us catch one but all in vain. Even spent a whole night on machan with Santosh, got a bite also and caught the fish, but after running around 50-60 mtrs. The fish got unhooked but we got the scale & it was almost the size if my palm. As the scale says the fish should be atleeeeeeeest atleeeeeeeeeeest 40 kg+.

That’s how our journey ends, at the end I would like to say thanke to Ali Bhai for bearing us even after we lost so many fishes. Cos before going to Pawai fishing for me was just fun & chilling out, but in these 5 days with all there masters of angling a learnt that it all require a hell lot of skill & attention, a friction on sec. can make you loose a big one. My & Ajay Ji’s heartiest thanks & wishes to Ali Bhai, Santosh, Zaved Bhai, Rajat, Bablu Bhai & other guys who helped us so much & taught us some thing as one of my Delhi mate Dhruv says “Fishing is... a discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish.”

And for you dear Guru Ji (Ali Bhai) next time I promise you to catch at least one big A**, I wont let you say " Arre Yaar Kya Karta Hai, Tera Dhyan Kahan Hai". Thanks, Thanks a ton for your kind hospitality and all you did for me & Ajay ji.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:33 pm 

good report please do post your pics of the catches at Powai

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Prashant,

It was a nice report.

One can feel the welcome in your report......one comes to welcome at the airport, the other teaches knots, and the other friend helps with the rod........i really felt HAPPY when i read this.
Wish everyone had these types of friends.

Regards,

Ronald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 pm 
Fishaholic

great report mate. Waiting for the pictures.

Post subject: powai lake
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:31 am 
Enlightened

Hi V Prashant,
I take my hat off to you. You are a lesson in appreciation. Happy to learn that you enjoyed yourself.
Henry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Amazing report, read it out to my guys in the office. I must be a sight to see a fish trolling a boat.... Keep Writing.
Rulerof Sun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

Good...!
Please try to post pictures of your trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Prashant,
It is nice to know that you liked the five days of fishing here in Powai. Your compliments are a bit flattering and let me remind you that as angler, we all are students and this is a lore which can be absorbed gradually with the time. Fishing is no science and thus can not be learned from books and lectures. So mate, there is no master/guru sort of thing. Once again we all are students and we can only share our experiences with each other.
Powai, to me, is the ultimate test for an angler and it is never easy to land a fish here. As you have seen yourself that the fishes here are huge and they continuously keep your blood pressure high by jumping around your float subject to you have ground baited the area properly, but the bites are rare and good catches few and far between. As you have said in your report, I totally agree with you that this is the only lake in India where fishes are so well stocked and protected. While you were fishing, in those five days the catch register shows that only five fishes were taken. Four Catlas of respectively 27 kg, 22 kg, 21 Kg, 15 Kg and one Silver carp of 20 Kg. This again illustrate that it is very difficult to land a fish here. I know many of my friends think that the fishes of Powai are sort of pet and it is just a matter of ground baiting the area and casting the hooks to land them. Man, are not they for a shock when they come to Powai.
I am sorry that you and Ajay ji were not able to land any good size fish. Please understand that angling is much more than catching a fish. It is sort of blending with your environment. It is a journey to a land of un known with many secrets and intricacies. When you have cast your line and wait for a bite, feel the gust of fresh air ruffling your hair, watch the intricate patterns and ripples, the changing wind forms on the surface of water, look at the egret somberly waiting for a fish and admire its patience, whisper to the ancient giant tree standing on the bank from the ages and ask him the secrets of the unknown and look at the many branches waving and dancing and whispering back the secrets and stories of the old and when you understand the forces of nature and blend with them, Just glance at your dipping float and execute the strike, I am sure, whether you land a fish or not, you will go home a happy and content man.
Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Well said Ali Bhai, m totally agree with you it's not only fishing which gives you fun, but its the nature & the surrounding of the area which makes the whole magic of the trip......& haan Ali Bhai did you ask Javeed Bhai to join IA because after meeting him what I feel is like we hare on IA really missing a legendary Angler of India.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:22 pm 

hey Ali! One question - are you supposed to put back all the fishes catched at Powai back into the lake or you can carry them home? Or is their a classification

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Kulsood,
There is a classification on the basis of type of fish and also on the basis of weight. It is not compulsory to release the catch falling under the category "can take home" type but many of us adhere to catch and release voluntarily. If you want to know what is the secret of Powai Lake having so much and so big fishes, it is not certainly CATCH & RELEASE but the mantra here is catch and stock. It is one of the best example where proper stocking and protection can boost fish population and no amount of angling can affect the environment of lake.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

I would like to add some words in Ali Bhai's Answer, what I have seen in Pawai is a very solid security as if around 5 boats round the clock 24/7 on the complete round of the Lake for not anyone do NETTING. And specially these guys on a special checking any time in the day like I saw 1 day Ali's roaming in the Lake at 3.00 at night for the surprise check. The club put fish seeds every year, apart from that these guys also put seeds from there own pockets, & that is the mantra which won't let Pawai Lake get empty from the fishes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey, Prashant,

Excellent Field Report. I enjoed it immensly and I am sure you went back home with the pleasant memories of Powai Lake. :D Next time you would catch one of those Grand father Catlas for sure.

Happy Angling! :-)

Regards,

Arun

Hi, Ali,

Very nicely written reply to Prashant. Some paragraphs in your reply qualify for 'Introduction' for a Book on Angling at Powai Lake. I suggest you do write a book on Powai Fishing ( I wonder if any one has published a Book on Powai in the past already!). All the Die hard Anglers would surely appreciate such a book.

Warm Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

I am missing powai lake... :cry:

Ali, Sunday we will meet at powai..

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:24 am 
Fishaholic

Support your local FOWL HOOKERS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Support your local FOWL HOOKERS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No support for those who dont..???????? [smilie=hammerit.gif] :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:42 am 
Fishaholic

Even that's not that easy in Pawai, I bet..............the monsters are very well trained to escape from the trap........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you Mohile sahib for your kind comments. The idea of a book is great but it is beyond my capacity.

Still thank you.

Regards,

Ali..

Bobby,
Forming an opinion on hearsay is not proper. Commenting without confirming the truth is even worse.

Regards,

Ali….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Its is common knowledge how most of the fishing is done in done in Powai mate, not hearsay...more like foulplay. :lol: but I am sure the two of you are honest with your hooks.

Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

arun.mohile wrote:
( I wonder if any one has published a Book on Powai in the past already!)

Hi Arun & Ali

A book on Powai entitled "Powai - The Angling Paradise" was published many years ago by one of the members. A delightful handbook on the fish and tactics for Powai. Sadly it is out of print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Read this:

http://www.indianexpress.com/res/web/pIe/ie/daily/19981024/29751124.html

[url]
http://members.tripod.com/MSAAPowai/tackle.htm[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Great report Prashant I hope you will catch a big one next time for that matter I have been going to Powai now almost for six months (Thanks to Ali bhai's hospitality) and I have not yet mange to catch any thing yet but a Mangur

And for those who think that catching a fish in Powai is easy foul hook or not I would please ask them to come once to Powai ( i am sure Ali would help them get a permit) and try catching one of the big one's there or for that matter even a small one. The technique in Powai is simply the finest I have scene so far which need tremendous amount of patience and concentration. And please as Ali says don't make judgment before you see it your self about the foul hooking there.

I think in terms of pond fishing Powai can be easily tittled as the teaching institute of carp fishing .
inpu
Ali its a tremendous idea about a book on Powai with input from some you guy's it could be the ideal book for any one who wants to know about pond/carp fishing in India

All the best
Rajat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Majority of members do use the line touch method to catch big carps in Powai. Its not that I have never done it, in fact the first big carp I have caught in Powai was by using the same method, and by the way that was the last.

But I don’t do it any more (lot of anglers don’t), all the fish I have caught after that have been cleanly hooked in the mouth. Not because I consider it to be foul, very difficult to use or cruel. I am doing what I like, I keep it to myself & dont go on calling other foul hookers.

For some this method may look like "foul play" for others it is art (and it’s not easy).

When you say "Support your local FOWL HOOKERS", I too think its commenting without confirming the truth.

Regards,

Santosh
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

Looks like I touched some nerves here.

Easy or difficult, foul hooking for me is just that. I appreciate that carp fishing is really difficult and perhaps out of my league. The reason foul or touch line fishing was introduced is because it is easier than hooking a fish in the mouth which involves more skill.

No matter what people say about the skill of touch line fishing or fowl hook fishing it is more difficult to hook a carp in its mouth than it is the other way.

I tip my hat to all of you anglers at Powai who catch fish in a more sporting way than just driving a hook into a fish anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Bobby and all of you who want to keep this discussion alive,
Let me request you to kindly stop it. I appreciate your intention and concerns but the fact is that our club, Maharastra State Angling Association is fighting to keep our Association afloat. We are being pressurized from many quarters and such comments as made by you and others can be used against us. Kindly appreciate that we at MSAA are keeping the Powai lake alive in the centre of a city like Mumbai against all the odds. Our club is a 75 year old association and we do not do any thing which will harm the environment of this lake including its fish population. I am proud to say that here at Powai, thanks to the effort of all the members, we have the best fish population and the prize fish specimens are awesome, to say the least. If you come to Mumbai, I will be glad to take you to Powai myself and show you what we are doing.

Regards,

Ali...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Keep the peace folks.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

I am well aware about MSAA and their efforts to keep Powai alive I have complete respect and admiration for what Gordon Rodricks and the rest of you have been doing out there for the environment.

I have grown up in Bombay and have been fishing there for over 30 years so I know what I am talking about. No offence but I did not like fishing there because of fishing methods employed by most. I can get into Powai and fish there if I want to that is not a problem. But I would like to thank you for your very kind offer.

I get copied of Powai emails regularly, perhaps all of them. I have never voiced my opinion on the angling methods used there, may have said something in passing as I had in this message (intended initially as a joke only). However some people tried to justify their take on it which is fair and open for argument so I voiced my opinion on how I feel about foul hooking fish.

It is only my openion and other people have their own views. I am against it others are not but that is my opinion.

Keeping Powai alive v/s a type of angling method employed are two completely different things. The green movement you are referring to that is opposing angling does not differentiate fishing method, they are against angling period.

A forum like this is where we can debate things like this and it needs to be looked upon constructively.

As a body the MSAA has my complete support and admiration, make no mistake.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

with this heated arguments
i want to know one thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT IS FOUL HOOKING??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there are ppl in this foroum who dont even know abt foul hooking
and what is this line touch method???????????????
plzzzzzz some one tell me................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Foul Hooking is hooking a fish not in the mouth but any where else on the body. This normally happens when a fish brushes the line and the angler jerks or winds in the line quickly to snare the fish in its proximety. You keep watching the line and see if it vibrates unaturally and then pull it in whether there is a bite or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hozefa, please use proper grammar when making your posts. There is absolutely no need to use so many question marks and exclamation marks. No SMS language either.... last warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi hozefaishaqali,

As "Ruler of Sun" explained, a foul hooked fish is one that is not hooked in the mouth but in any other part of the body. Traditionally an angler would like to hook a fish in the mouth, but for some reason if the fish gets hooked in any other part of the body (which is not correct angling) hence the term "foul".

Most recognized angling associations including the IGFA do not recognize a foul hooked fish. So in other words you cannot claim a record on a foul hooked fish.

Touch line fishing is where an angler deliberately tries to foul hook a fish, the bait is suspended slightly above the hooks, as the fish or a group of fish start to feed on that bait, the angler feels the line for the opportune moment to drive the hook home, which could be anywhere in the fishes body.

Here in Hong Kong, people fish for Rabbit fish for the pot in this method, they have specially designed hooks for this. The hooks is a tear drop shaped piece of led with several hooks poking out of the end around the circumference of the led piece (all hooks are welded into the led) like a deadly flower.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

sorry for that bopanna.
i will take care of that.
and no more SMS language next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Damn !! I Missed the action :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Gav,

Where were you? Long time no posts.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Gav, heard you were suffering with some mystery illness..???? [smilie=sadlook.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Was not well for about 15 days and laid up in bed for most of them. Spent a couple of days at the hospital too.. :cry:

But now am back, and good to go... :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi gav,

Was your illness anyway related to the H5N1 ? :lol:

Anyway we are glad that you are back. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Apoo,

Thanks for the wishes.. Good to be back, mate..
It wasn't the H5N1.. i think :roll: But that's not stopped me :lol: :lol:

Anyways, lot of threads that I need to gutter :twisted: :twisted:

Hey Bopper - How you ?? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:06 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Damn !! I Missed the action :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That you did, leaving for India tomorrow mate...hope to do some fishing this time at least.. Got to shop for some gear this noon take down for the Father in law..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:52 am 

Bobby/ Apoo
Regarding Gavin-not bird flu but 'Chick flu' related, I'm sure ;)
Good to have somany ol timers back.Post away guys
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

eljefe wrote:
Bobby/ Apoo
Regarding Gavin-not bird flu but 'Chick flu' related, I'm sure ;)
Good to have somany ol timers back.Post away guys
Best
Axx

You got it right doc ... hes got an itchy middle finger ... does not know what to do with it most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

:lol: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
hes got an itchy middle finger

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: All them fingers be itchy... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

And the toes bitchy huh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Toes are well-behaved :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

What rhymes with Toes? :twisted: come on Gavin..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

WOES !!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Very Correct Wordsworth...