->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Galibore 6th to 14th jan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:58 pm 

Well, I finally made it to Galibore with enough tackle for every eventuality though some of which never came out of the case. Really impressed with the camp and the river though people were commenting on how low it was, apparently at March levels and it was to get lower as the week progressed.

The low water had apparently forced the larger fish downstream and some anglers had moved down to Galibore with them. However, our group struggled to connect with anything of any size. We all got our names in the book with fish over 10lbs but the best were a couple of 20's and a 30. Other people fishing there seemed to do better, picking up 20's and 30's with a couple of 40's as well. Fishing was generally slow with some sessions not even producing a fish.

The highlight, which I wish I'd seen (the pictures were stunning) was a superb 95lb Golden caught by a Spaniard in his last session there on 13th Jan. There was a bit of a party that night !

I had gone there with the intention of trying to catch a Mahseer on a fly and was struggling until the last day. I didn't send much time trying, the guides were keen to stick to methods that worked - ragi, chilwa & crab. Therefore most of my efforts were expended during the lunch break. I had fun with the carnatic carp under the trees by the camp and had a reasonable number on a dry fly (french partridge mayfly and grasshopper) but couldn't get anything to connect with my streamers in the faster water.

On the last day I opted to spend the whole morning fly fishing with nymphs. This was a good move as I returned with 3 mahseer and a carp. They were small, not much more than a couple of pounds but put up a great fight on a fly rod. I think I'm right in saying that I was the only one of our party to catch a Mahseer that morning so it was really worth doing.

If I was to return, and I'd love to in 2010, I'd not bother spinning but would spend more time fly fishing as well as chucking out large balls of ragi. I'd love a 10lb (or more) fish on a fly rod and I can't imagine what it would be like to connect to a 95lb fish on any rod - must go back.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:30 pm 
Fishaholic

nice write up john. got any pics? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm 

Only a few hundred pics ! I'm trying to sort them and end up with a sensible selection. I'm also trying to get a copy of photos of the 95lb fish. I'll post it if I succeed In the meantime here a few.

This is Mysoremara for those that know it, it may give an idea of the water level.

This is a 43lb fish caught by the same guy that got the 95lb. This is just below the previous picture a few days before.

A small Mahseer on a small fly on a big fly rod.

A slightly bigger carp on a dry fly (grasshopper) on a smaller fly rod.

My largest Mahseer, only 14lb. I caught 17 but only three were over 10lb. They all fought well, especially in the faster water, but only those around 8lb upwards were memorable.

Thre more I write about it the more I wish I was still there.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Great fishing emerger. Fly fishing for mahseer :-) must have been a great fun :D
Tight lines
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Great fishing mate and some really nice pics :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

nice show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:22 pm 

One thing I should probably add is to describe what was a magical experience even though it didn't produce any fish.

Late one morning we were fishing near croc rock and on the opposite side of the river lots (well 6 or 7) of large mahseer were showing on the surface. We thought the were probably chasing chilwa. After about an hour of this with us waiting forlornly for something to happen to our ragi I suggested putting the fly rod together and having a go for them from the coracle. I didn't have the right flies with me (isn't that just always the case?) so had to make do with a small blue & white deceiver pattern.

We paddled slowly and quietly across to where the fish were and I got a couple of casts in to disappearing fish from about 15 yards. From this close I could see they were easily 30lb fish with one clearly being nearer 50lb. I must admit I wasn't even sure I really wanted to hook one that big but wound the drag right down and made some more casts to the rising fish.

Then I managed to land the fly right in the centre of the ring of a rise only about 10 yards away. Although I didn't see the fish again you could see the water boil in the direction of the fly and bulge towards it for a few feet as I stripped the fly back. The fish had definitely seen the fly and followed it. Sadly it didn't take.

We were there for about 15 minutes with a number of very large fish rising all around and within 20 metres of us - it was a truly magical experience. Although I was trying to catch one and got just the one follow which could have been disappointing in other circumstances this was something special and I didn't mind not getting the chance to catch one.

The rocks around there created shallow ledges and I think the Mahseer were chasing the baitfish into the shallow water and taking them. Over lunch we caught some chilwa with the intention of trying for them in the afternoon with livebait but the wind had got up and the fish were no longer on the surface. In a way I was glad, the experience of the morning was the more special for being unable to repeat it.

John