->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: First visit to Goa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:51 pm 

Hi everybody,
A friend of mine told me about his experience of fishing in rivers of Goa. He now wants to organize another trip to Goa in the end of January. I know near to nothing about fishing in the country. So I would be extremely obliged to everyone who answer to my questions.
1. We are interested in freshwater artitificial lure fishing (spinning). What are the basic specious of predators we can catch in Goa?
2. What are the best kinds of lures - jig, minnow, krank or something else?
3. Is it possible to fish from a bank, or we should hire a boat?
4. Is it nessessary to buy a license?
5. What about venomous snakes, malaria mosquitoes, tigers, terrorists and so on?

Thanks
Constantin, the city of Moscow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:34 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Constantin.

I think we can safely rule out death by tiger attack in Goa. Death by coconut is a posibility but there's not a lot of tigers about.
Yes, there are snakes including cobras but it you're walking on paths and have your eyes open, they shouldn't be a problem unless you go looking for one and start provoking it. Then it will become a major problem very quickly.
Mosquito's are a problem and antmalarial profalaxis is a good idea, although the number of mosquito's depends on where you're staying. Go see your local doctor before travelling as ideally, you should start taking profalaxis a couple of weeks before you visit.
Neither I nor anyone I know has ever bought a Goan rod licence. They may exist but I wouldn't worry about it to much - but if you are thinking about fishing the rivers in other states, you do need licences and the waters are policed.
Freshwater fishing in Goa is very limited. Almost all of the "rivers" that you'll find on a map or see discussed on the forum are saltwater - even if you go a long way inland.
Both boat and bank wishing are available, but you can catch plenty off the beach/bank if your timing and methods are correct.
The main predators to target are barramundi, mangrove jacks, grouper, flathead and giant trevelly - all saltwater.
As to lures, all of the above, but bring some soft plastic lures as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:14 pm 

Thanks, Ken.
The only fish amoung named ones I caught is grouper (on Cuba). And how about barracuda in Indian waters?
I heard a lot of interesting tales about barra, but never had a chance to catch one. So far as I know this is something similar to largemouth black bass, isn't it? And there is no black bass in India, or maybe I am mistaken?

Constantin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
heard a lot of interesting tales about barra, but never had a chance to catch one. So far as I know this is something similar to largemouth black bass, isn't it?

Think LMB but bright silver and about 4 times the size - both average and max.

And you're right. As far as I'm aware, there are no LMB's in India.[/list]