->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fellow Anglers,

I always wanted to visit Tarkarli having heard a lot about the clean beaches, blue sea and the beautiful back waters that one gets to see there. On seeing the trip report of Tarkarli by Mr. Arun, I called him up for some more information on the hotels and places to visit and booked two days at the MTDC beach resort and two days on the boat house for a vacation on my wedding anniversary.

With a very much accessible mouth of the estuary the place also looked an ideal location to catch my first Barramundi. The rocks 4 kms inside the sea was another location I thought I should explore for some big game and did manage to arrange for a boat before I left Mumbai.

The tackle carried was penn spinfisher 12 ft med/heavy rod parried with daiwa emcast 5500, quantum great white three piece travel spinning rod with 4000 series reel.

Here's a brief trip report & pictures of my visit to Tarkarli (Malvan) and some other locations on the west coast of Maharashtra.

Day one: After checking into mtdc resort, we decided to go on 3 hr boat ride in the evening to visit one sandy island which was created my the tsunami, watch dolphins, troll around one of the nearest rock formation on the burnt islands and get back in to the estuary before sunset. By the time we reached burnt island, the wind picked up and sea started getting rough.

Two rods were placed on opposite side and the lines were out, this was second time (1st on my own) that I was going to do trolling in sea and had a very limited idea on what to expect.
I got a hit in 5 mins, not knowing what fish it was, I declared to my wife that this must be a big mangrove jack (as if I know a lot :? ), after few mins the fish showed up with a clear high jump and I screamed QUEEN FISH .. hearing that "WOW good job" came a reply from my wife (as if she knows a lot :twisted: ). amazing fish and an amazing fight.

the lines were out again, as soon as I closed the bail arm.. whaaaam... with lot of drama and jumping around a nice Barracuda... the smile on my face was widening with every passing second. :D

The lines were out again and after few mins of silence, the rod got one more bend and the reel went for a song... some more jumping around and flashing of teeth's... a good about 3 ft barracuda was landed.

Within just 20 -30 mins of trolling, I asked the boat operator to take us back as the wind further picked up and the sea was now a bit more rough.

On second day since it was very windy and the waters rough, I decided that I will go alone for a boat trip to have a two hour trolling session.

for some reason, the boat guy came armed with a smaller 7 hp mariner engine and had a tough time controlling it on slow speed near to the rocks.

The trolling was now done on high speed and thus reducing the chances of hits.. after 20 mins I got a huge hit, a big GT and I could barely lift the rod.. I wanted the boat to stop but it was very close to the rocks and the boat could have drifted on the rocks had we done that... I found my self helpless with the boat and the fish running in different directions..... the fish was uncontrollable and it broke free after 2-3 mins .. :cry: :cry:

with the wind further picking up, we came back in to the estuary... I got the lines out at the mouth of the estuary in anticipation of hooking a fish I wanted to catch now for a long time.. immediate hit... but it was a barracuda and not a barramundi ... I yanked him out with frustration... 4 and half feet big guy.. :evil:

next two days were spent relaxing on the house boat and exploring the beautiful back waters... I did some spinning from the house boat on the evening of last day and landed three Small mangrove jacks......

Next morning we moved to another location on west coast .. this place does not have a estuary, but beautiful sandy beach and some rocks at the far end of the beach.. (Please PM me for exact location).

In the evening, while on the rocks watching the sun go down, I saw some feeding take place on the surface.. immediately got my three piece rod and casted out a firetiger.. half a dozen casts and nothing... after 15 mins.. I saw some feeding again.. since I had the rod next to me, I casted at the place where the feeding was taking place..few more cast and nothing took my lure.. I clipped on a red head, and on the very first cast my lure stopped half way... a beautiful jump in front of the half submerged sun, it was a the fish and the fight I wanted... a nice around 3.5 kg barramundi.. my first and will always be remembered... the evening was spent without any more fishing .. I had got what I wanted.

Next morning we went on the rocks.. this time in hope of getting some serious action.... and I did have some... three barra's landed (all fish between 10 to 14 lb), one big guy lost (jumped and threw back the hooks) two hits which I could not convert.. and all this in just one hour.. Later in the morning we started to get back home..

fish caught: 1 queen, 3 barracuda, 3 MJ, and 4 barramundis ..... lost one GT and barra.

I have promised the GT's that I'll be back. :wink:

Regards,

Santosh

pics later..

Last edited by santosh on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Malwan Fishing Report.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Santosh! Hearty Congratulations on your first Baramundi and otheres that followed.

A very nice Report as well. You really had a Whale of a time on the Holidays.

Cheers and belated Happy Wedding Anniversary.

With Warm Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on your first Barra! Bring on the pics....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi santosh,

Good report man. Waiting for the pics. I know the GTs are there. Since the GTs stay close to structure and hold in deeper water they tend to stay out of the nets and just get bigger and meaner by the day. Would love to do a test popping there!

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Bops & Mr. Arun.. here are some pics.. :D

On the way to burnt island

GT country

The fight with queen fish. the old man in picture was the boat operator.. 65 yr old with amazing knowledge of the waters.

Two Barracudas

One more barracuda

karli estuary

enjoying spicy malvani fish on the boat house

MJ caught from the boat house

My first Barra

Action Packed Morning..

The result

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Jeen.. they are there and are huge. I was told that in one particular month the GT's move closer to the islands in numbers.. .. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Wicked!!!!! Nice Pics and the location looks good. I am at goa recovering from a flu attack.... still waiting for your mail santosh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:37 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Tato.. PM on its way... catch a big one.

Post subject: Fishing at Malwan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Good Show Santosh! Nice pics. Next time carry Weighing scale as well in your bag.

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Great stuff Santosh,

see you in a couple of days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

good show santosh!!! keep it up... can't wait to try my hand at some sea fishing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh,

What caught my eye was your second picture..... that definitely looks like GT country... Are there a lot of small islands like this?

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Great show Santosh! Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Cool running mate.

Wonderful pictures.

Cheers

Dam! need to get some of those too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:07 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks IG & Mken,... although I don't know much about Mahseer fishing and it is something I would love to try,.. but if compared to tank or other fresh water fishing that I have done, I find sea fishing much more interesting & challenging. Plan a trip here as there are many good locations on the west coast that you can try successfully.

MM, The place has many such islands (both small & big). The best time to visit the place is 3Q of year if you want to run in to shoals of GT's. But even in other times they are there along with some other beasties as the places doesn't get netted heavily due to rocky ocean floor.

Keyur, Yaj.. looking forward to the trip of 29/30 dec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:40 am 
Fishaholic

Hey, were you using leader wire or florocarbon???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:36 am 
Fishaholic

you kidding right,..???? :lol: you know what happened in harihareshwar :x

I used one meter long wire for trolling and 6 inch long one for fishing from the rocks. used fluorocarbon in the estuary to catch those MJ's

Post subject: wow!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:38 am 
Enlightened

Hello Santosh,
That must have been a great experience.Congrats on the excellent catch.Nice pictures.Thanks for all the information.
Godfrey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Santosh!
Fantastic outing, great pix and some beautiful fish.
Sense the wife will be a little more understanding from now on. :D
Regards
Owen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:09 am 
Enlightened

amazing !! well u had a blast .. man theres lots of fishig to be had in that neck of the woods ... looking foward for some pics
cheers
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Godfrey.. are you back..??? we are planning some outing on the 29th... call me if you are in town.

Owen, fortunately she has always been.. :D

Dean, if you can recall our discussion about barra's being caught, ..... the moon's good for 19th / 20th Jan.... lets plan one.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:59 am 
Fishaholic

Santosh PaJi tusi cha gae......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi buddy,
Great going and fabulous fishing. Be thankful that the curse was lifted before you went for this trip :twisted: :lol: . It cost me one fowl and what not. So you owe me at-least one fowl, duly marinated and roasted :wink: . I know the GT lost will act as a motivation not only to you but lot of others also. So watch out GT’s. We are coming after you.
First of all I concede defeat as you are the one who caught the first Bara :oops: :oops: . Still the matter about Ravas is pending. Lets see.
You know every one that loin hunts in pairs and it was one loin hunting at random. So watch out all you GT’s and Baras and Rava’s and all you monsters who rule the blue expanses of the see—we are coming after you :lol: :lol: .
Once again congratulation and very well done.
Regards
Ali..
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

Ali, the "Loin King" ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks buddy... your new rod paired with a good reel is what we need to nail big GT's.

Lets see about the ravas... :wink:

Tandoori Chicken is on the way.. :D

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

yaj wrote:
Ali, the "Loin King" ! :lol:

whose Simba, Timon and Pumbaa ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hakuna Matata ,

Santosh

Post subject: hi santosh
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:08 pm 
Fishaholic

newcomers to fishing are always lucky. even i was at one point of time. great stuff buddy. amazing pics. now u r hooked for ur entire life. congratulations and nice fishing.
regards,
spoonangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks spoony... I am sure you are still lucky... :wink: :wink:

Don't know about the newcomers luck as I have been fishing now for almost one year ... I was lucky to be at the right place at the right time..
I am planning something for 19/20th Jan.. will call you later...

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Santosh nice way to spend u weddin anniversary,g8 catch there .
GIVE A MAN TO EAT FISH HE EATS FOR A DAY
TEACH HIM TO FISH AND HE DOESNT EVER GO HUNGRY.
TAKE THE WIFE FISHIN AND YOULL NEVER BE NAGGED A DAY IN YOUR LIFE

Post subject: amazing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:58 am 
Enlightened

wow !! excellent stuff .. I have fish those waters and had some amazing times... the barra from shore is ur highlight .. and great going with the queen and rare find.
phew !! those snaps bring back nostalgic memories ,,
great going

cheers
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes Dean, the place is amazing .. I had a great time fishing there.. trust me, since I was on a vacation I could not do some hardcore fishing. All the sessions were limited to less than 2 hrs / day. I plan to go there again with better tackle (I regretted for not carrying deep divers). Till then the GT's will give me sleepless nights. I really enjoyed the barra fight on a 7ft travel rod.

BTW, I have recorded the fight with the queen.. will send you the link once I upload it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Hey Santosh nice way to spend u weddin anniversary,g8 catch there .

Thanks Neil... I do remember your Poem. 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:01 pm 

Good show Santosh-lots of Halco stuff used?
I thought I rcognised a sorcerer or two...
Keep on doin it
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Doc..
The fish were on:-
Queen and 2 cudas on X -Rap (GT took this lure home)
The big cuda on Halco 190 DD
all Jacks on Tobimaru (I always use this lure first & have named it jack buster)
All barras on Rapala Redhead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey buddy
what a trip thanks a ton for the detail report and amazing pictures too apart from the fish ones I mean, looks like a great place to visit would PM you for more details regarding the lures
May be one day we catch some fish together this year
Rajat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Rajat,

So how was your trip to revdanda??

Santosh

Post subject: Hi Santosh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:12 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Santosh,

Nice article and good way of enjoying yr. wedding anniversary.
Infact i had been in Mumbai during Christmas time, and thought of you guys, but could not spare time. Before leaving from Dubai i dreamt of fishing with you'll at least for a day. Better luck next time.
Sorry for late note, bcs. i just read your article today after i came back from my vacation. Keyur told me that he had met you.
Wish you good luck and Happy Married Life. See that you don't overfish, but give time for your wife, else you know......ha ha. Enjoy youself.
All the best.

Ronald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ronald,

Don't worry mate, the Mumbai gang will be around till your next visit. For your next trip remember that we could always go and wet our lines at Powai for some time.

Thanks for the advice on my wedded life, dated my wife for 9 years and been married for 6 years (as its my 7th year, lets call it a 7 year itch.. :lol: ) so that's 15 long years [smilie=crying.gif].. I guess I am pretty safe here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:16 am 
Fishaholic

thanks for the great read santosh.

cheerio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

wow
thanks for that nice show
keep it up man

Post subject: Good trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm 

Way to go Santosh! I'm sure you've achieved 'PRO' status after this trip. Really fab stuff. And the place looks beautiful, how long was the drive to get there? I've been off the forum for a while, and boy have I missed much. I'm sure Yaj is already on his way to Tarkarli...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Carl,

Malvan is about 550 km from Mumbai and should take 8 to 9 hrs by road. A bit far but worth a visit. :-)

Santosh

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:02 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks for your reply Santosh.
Excellent... you'll travelled a long way, so ofcourse you're safe :wink:
All the Best.
Ronald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:23 pm 

Hey Santosh! I just love those pics - every bit of them. I was in Mumbai for 3 weeks but just didnt get the time from family and friends to go fishing. And every time i see those pics I feel more home sick to get back for good..... Anyhow I'm catching u during next visit... Great going and cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 am 
Fishaholic

kulsdood wrote:
Anyhow I'm catching u during next visit...

Make sure that your ground bait has plenty of alcohol... :lol:

Just kidding mate. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 am 
Fishaholic

Visited Malvan again for a day on my way back from Mangalore. Trolled in the morning & did some beach fishing at night.

Total fish caught in a days fishing:
3 Mangrove jacks
2 Barra's
One unknown fish
Also hooked one giant which I was not able to land after a back breaking 45 mins long fight ... the fish took a last run when I thought its all over & broke my 100 Lb fireline. But it was the best fight I have ever had.

Some pictures from my recent trip to Malvan:

Please identify this fish

Fishermen with their catch

Caught 2 barras from the beach. 1st one at 8 PM on the and the 2nd one around mid night. My first barra's from the beach at Night.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:27 am 
Fishaholic

Great going Santosh. Seems like the barra's have taken a liking for you ;).BTW the blue fish looks awesome, never seen any thing like that.

Cheers,
Madhur.

PS. did you catch the Barra on Bait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:01 am 
Fishaholic

Great Going :D ...Buddy....

Don't Worry...u'll get the fish or its Frineds 8) that broke the Line.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

madhurh1 wrote:
PS. did you catch the Barra on Bait?

Madhur I caught the barra's on Lure.

Viper, I am waiting for that to happen. :)

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Simply superb, congrats Santo!