->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:54 pm 
Fishaholic

I write this in the field...

Day 1 & Day 2 (Day 2 morning session)

Mist covered fields slipped by silently as I drove the last few miles to the ‘spot’… it seemed as if it would be a great day… the sun cresting over the hills, slowly burning away the mist… warming up life to the day ahead. Man I could not wait to hit the waters… I could already feel the bite and the fight! Sreeeeee was the only sound I heard!

I reached the spot at 05:30 hrs… perfect timing I thought… 8) gives me enough time to gear up and yomp down to the ‘spot’! My local shikari greeted me with a luke warm cup of tea- no bother I had better things to do than sit and drink chia… Priorities- that’s what daddy always said!!! :D

As I scanned the waters, all I saw was fish jumping every where… the frenzy was on! :!: “Dude, get on with it… times a wastin’” was all I said to myself and let go my first cast! Remembering the “rules” for the spot, I let it sink deep… real deep… slow retrieve… nothing… no big deal… its just the first cast- “waddaya expect? A bite on every cast??? Slow down tiger… you ain’t at the pump house… ze rules are different”…. And I cast out again… and again… and again… not a damned bite all morning… :shock: :!: :?: :shock: I was shocked, I was surprised, I was amazed- what’s going on? :?:

The afternoon went by deep in thought; analyzing everything from casting to the type of lures used (Tried everything from toby’s, kast masters deep divers, floating, jointed, long leaf spinners short leaf spinners… everything except for a stick of dynamite!!!) to the number of birds in the air and clouds in the sky. [smilie=damn.gif]

16:00 hrs and out to the spot again… casting, plugging, spinning screaming… BITE DAMNED FISH!!! My frustration was killing me… despite a beautiful sunset, the evening ended with zero bites!!! [smilie=cwl.gif]

Sitting at the rest house verandah with all my tackle laid out before me, I tried hard to figure out what was going wrong… the weather was perfect, the time of year was right… the only conclusions I could come to were:

1) Sheer bad luck (but I don’t believe that for the amount of fish feeding on chilwa in a 1 km stretch was insane)
2) Lure shy fish (but then again, the local populace only has access to toby replicas, why did the other stuff not work?

Points to ponder!!!

Staring at the tackle made me reach for the phone and call the last King of the toitles [smilie=madking.gif] … on the phone I sobbed and cried while he was nice enough to give me a shoulder and a simple suggestion: face east, roast 2 chillies and drop them in piping hot mustard oil… at the same time he asked me to recite the following line a million times: “I will not laugh when someone catches a turtle!” [smilie=madking.gif] (guys trust me as outlandish as it sounds, I followed his advice to the T). Besides the incantation he also suggested a simple add-on for the terminal tackle.

Early next morning, after a million incantations, I hit the spot… low in spirit and high on sugar (the tea was toooooo sweet)… [smilie=shake.gif] lame cast out into the water… let it sink let it sink… slow the retrieve… WHAM!!! What a bite! [smilie=holyshit.gif] It came out of nowhere and in my dejected state from the day before; I wasn’t quite ready for it- the toby was taken deep +15’ of depth and the line went out fast… Sreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee… trust me guys at that point, it was the most beautiful sound in the world!!! Even though the sun had not yet fully risen, my day looked bright already… it was bite after bite all morning… all in all, 4 golden mahseer (avg. weight about 10 lbs) were caught, kissed and released (I did not have a camera with me at that point). 3 fish were lost due to improper handling at the landing site and I’ve completely lost count of the number of bites that did not connect… WHAT A MORNING!!! All hail the toitle king- if it was not for his incantation, I don’t think it would have worked out today.

Evening session

The local shikari had been kept busy all afternoon to get live bait… I wasn’t sure if my luck would hold out as the beat had moved (this place has different beats according to the time of day)… Hit the waters again at 16:00 hrs. I was wary of changing anything, lest I upset fate and get no bites… the only thing that was changed was the treble… on account of loosing all the fish in the morning… casting out and working the water landed me 2 small guys both under the 3 lbs mark… something was up… time to try the next bag of tricks… aka the K-rig… so called after the guy who told me how to tie it!!!

The lines were baited with chilwa caught from the waters; one to a hook, just under the dorsal fin… weight about 5 ft behind the hooks… cast out and then began the waiting game… result- 8 singhara (avg. weight about 4 lbs) and 1 eel… not a bad day by far… the singhara and the eel were kept for the pot…

The day has ended and the sun has set… tomorrow is another day and lets see how it goes… will keep you guys posted!

Cheers,
IG [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 pm 
Fishaholic

BAAAA***************DDDDDDD!

Glad to hear the lil trick worked. Start taking pictures. Tom morning go around in circles and scream "I love toitles'.

See you in the weekend..... I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:14 am 
Fishaholic

Great stuff IG !

Keep the stories coming. All the best for the new day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:23 am 
Fishaholic

Good write up..IG... wish you carried the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:25 am 
Fishaholic

Good Show Gypsy Sahib!

A question on lures, for reservoir shore-based spinning which rapalas are fairly often productive while fishing deep, Deep Shad Raps or Rattlins?

Did the Singharas show any interest in your lures? Have you ever caught one on a plug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

let me also take a shot at that question.

Deep Shad raps No 7 are great but you just can't beat a Tail Dancer. A few others that are nice are the Husky Jerk (sinking), Fat Rap (deep lip), and a Count Down.

You should also try a jointed Floating with a bit of weight either a few feet in front or better still a bit stuck on the belly of the plug.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

Nice write up IG, very entertaining.
So are you guys going to share the tackle modifications and the Krig or will this be a quiz where the winner gets to catch a toitle ? :D
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

Winner gets a Toitle!!!

hahahahaha

A very simple modification to get lazy fish to bite. Just add a bit of wool or tinsel to the line above the plug/spinner/spoon. This makes it seem that a chilwa is busy chasing some small fry.

Will try and post a pix of the 'Krig'. Basically it is a modified hair rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hi IG,

Good writeup,very interesting.

Are you a fan of David Ogilvy?. Nice long copy!!.

MAHASEERKEN.... You may have to present IG with a camera!!

Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

Hi IG,

Great stuff.Must be like heaven out there.Keep it going.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:47 pm 

Aha, so thats what you've been upto? Awesome and keep on doin it!
Best
Axx
PS-hope you saved the mustard oil and chillies as 'tadka' for afterwards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Write up IG... [smilie=cool_goatee.gif]

All hail ToitleKen [smilie=madking.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice write up IG.. its always fun to read trip reports from you guys.. keep on doing it.. .. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Winner gets a Toitle!!!

hahahahaha

A very simple modification to get lazy fish to bite. Just add a bit of wool or tinsel to the line above the plug/spinner/spoon. This makes it seem that a chilwa is busy chasing some small fry.

OK matey one piece of bum fluff will be added to my line from now on. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:32 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for the feed back guys!!! appreciate it...

Today was a complete washout... Is been raining since 4 in the morning and its bloody freezing!!! no fishing today... will be meeting up with the toitle master tomorrow to hit another spot... will let you ll know how it goes!!!

Cheers,
IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Great going Dhruv! Enjoyed the report.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali wrote:
Good Show Gypsy Sahib!

A question on lures, for reservoir shore-based spinning which rapalas are fairly often productive while fishing deep, Deep Shad Raps or Rattlins?

Did the Singharas show any interest in your lures? Have you ever caught one on a plug?

Hi Ali Bhai,

As far as the shads and the rattlin go, I've had mixed results on both, but personally, i'm more for a full metal jacket fan... prefer spoons and spinners... never had a singhara take on a plug... had plenty of mulley take on shads and fat raps...
taken tons of singhara on spinners spun along the bottom... my fav. spinner is the Mepps No. 5 Aglia Long Giant Killer... its like a Mi 35 in the water... would strongly reccomend changing the factory trebles on it though... a fish which takes a spinner that big has a lot of dum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:20 pm 
Fishaholic

wonderful write up - made me feel as if I was right there getting all the bites !
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done mastah...you really gave them fish something to talk about.

See you sometime to hear the tales in person.

Dev