->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: baga
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:58 pm 

hi there im new to this forum and requrie assistance AKA help!
im goin on holiday in 2 weeks to goa or baga to be precise!
i would appreciate if people posted on this topic all baits and equipment i would need!

currently i have:
1 travel rod 8ft
1 reel loaded with 200yards of 12lb line
5 toby lures all different colours

plz pm me with the things i am missing e.g. size of hooks or other types of lures!

much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

SpartanSteen,
I envy you. On Baga. That's nearly my beach.

To get started get to Anjuna or Vagator and start fishing from the rocks. Bait - squid, prawns or get casting on the incoming tide.

The best advice I could give you is go through all the post after you have done a 'Goa' search on the forum. Then get on your knees and pray that a few Goa Gods get in touch with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Get yourself some 4 and 5 inch soft plastic shads and some shallow diving minow lures.
These are what you want for fishing the river mouths at night for barramundi and mangrove jacks.

If your fishing will be in the daytime, its worth thinking a bout a few long casting bass wedges and pencil poppers as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:54 pm 

the lures ken l has posted what will i be expected to catch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:32 am 
Fishaholic

Toby lures.... are they spoons or floating lures??? As ken said soft plastic shads and some shallow diving minnow lures will be useful. Also remember you are using 12lbs line then try to get some live prawns and size 3 bait holder hooks. Also try the locations Mahaseerken suggested. North and south Anjuna has rocks, Chapora jetty go towards the mouth, Vagator and Baga are good locations to fish in North Goa.

However remember if you are using either spoon or lures I can’t say about the rate of success since all the locations are well fished by the locals using lures. Spoons are a top water lure be careful to use it over the rocks since you might get a snag. Try a slow fast slow retrieve. The best bet is using live bait or soft plastic shads and some shallow diving minnow lures.

Best of luck……

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

Guys, I will be in Goa on 18 Jan - 22 Jan. Thanks for the tips :-)

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Another good location close to Baga is Sinquerim.

Once you are at Sinquerim jetty, ask for the custom rest house which is straight ahead on the dirt road from the jetty. Request the guard and he will let you go to the rocks which are behind the rest house.. it is an excellent spot as a small estuary runs in between Sinquerim jetty & coco beach. The place is rarely netted as lot of boats with tourist pass from there.

Hope this help...

Santosh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:02 pm 

Hi Santosh, Thank you for the location it's going to be valuable for me. I'll be in Goa from end Dec 07 to end Jan 08 and most of the days i'll be fishing. I would like to join other anglers during this period in Goa. Looking forward to make new friends and have a good time fishing (err, feeding the fish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I'll be in Goa in January as well. I should arrive mid month and will have some nice specially modified lures with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I keep visiting belgaum in karnataka for some work which is 100 something KM from Goa ... will try & plan a visit to belgaum just before some weekend in Jan and then drive down to Goa.. would love to meet up with you guys.. ..

soft plastic shads definitely work, but the problem with like the ones made by storm is that the hook is at the top and most often than not, mangrove jacks will hit the lure but at the bottom part near to the head or the tail... If you hook a MJ on lures with two set of trebles, you would notice that most of the time the MJ will get hooked on the trebles near to the head.. this is because MJ attack the head of their pray to make it swift & qiuck kill..

I too have modified a storm rubber shad to get more hookups .. will try it on the week of 17th December when I go to tarkarli..

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
If you hook a MJ on lures with two set of trebles, you would notice that most of the time the MJ will get hooked on the trebles near to the head.. this is because MJ attack the head of their pray to make it swift & qiuck kill..

I too have modified a storm rubber shad to get more hookups .. will try it on the week of 17th December when I go to tarkarli..
Santosh

Hey best of luck on the modifications however your observation is common to all fishes that been hooked using a lure. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:18 am 
Fishaholic

Will post some pics of my modifications as soon as the bits arrive in the post.
You will like them, I promis.....and here's no messing arround with wrapping wire arround the body of the lure or anything like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:44 am 
Fishaholic

Please do Ken it will be helpful....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:32 am 
Fishaholic

[quote="Tathagata] ] Hey best of luck on the modifications however your observation is common to all fishes that been hooked using a lure. :wink:[/quote]

Hey Tats, .. good to know that you are also watching & not just clicking photographs.. :lol:

Heard ToitleKen curse has reached you :lol: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:41 pm 

i plan to fish the tidal river near the marine douhrada hotel what else will i need???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:03 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Hey Tats, .. good to know that you are also watching & not just clicking photographs.. :lol:
Heard ToitleKen curse has reached you :lol: :twisted:

I wouldn’t call it a curse.... Its VOODOO!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Hey check this link out....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
I wouldn’t call it a curse.... Its VOODOO!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I hope it fails by tomorrow.. :wink: Will catch up with you @ 8.00 hrs

See ya