->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: nilgiris fishing
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:17 pm 

hey
jus wanted to know if this is a good time to fish up in the nilgiris?
wid this cold weather would the fish bite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:59 pm 
Fishaholic

I am not sure of the answer, but what is the temperature in Nilgiris at this time of year? Just curious

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:29 am 

It's relatively cold this time of the year coupled with a heavy wind, usually between 10C - 15C. You could probably go for carp around Pykara, 6th mile, etc. The trout fishing season is closed as of now. You could contact Michaelaga for details.
Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:40 am 
Fishaholic

Have replied by PM
Regards
Michael Aga

Last edited by michaelaga on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 am 
Fishaholic

alexisgreenwood wrote:
It's relatively cold this time of the year coupled with a heavy wind, usually between 10C - 15C.

Thats not a bad weather to fish :(
Not at all cold for the fish to bite :-)

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 pm 

Michael,
I'm planning 5 days in Ooty for the New Year. What fishing can I look forward to and where??
Never tried Freshwater yet, but I'm willing to go all out.
As you have full knowledge of the area, can you suggest what gear, tackle, where to get licences, etc??
Cheers
crak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi
Alexgreenwood has mentioned some places. most of the trout lakes are withen the forests and the forest department does not allow anglers. When allowed if ever then the trout season startes in March The only fishing you can do is coarse fishing which means carp which take bait and not spinners. Fishing licences can be gotten on the spot for the Fishery Department whose office is close to the main bus depot in Ooty. They can guide you correctly where to fish. I do not fish for carp as I dislike the inactivity of bait fishing.
You should have a light rod and reel/line for up to 10 lbs for the carp in the lakes here.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

crak wrote:
Michael,
I'm planning 5 days in Ooty for the New Year. What fishing can I look forward to and where??
Never tried Freshwater yet, but I'm willing to go all out.
As you have full knowledge of the area, can you suggest what gear, tackle, where to get licences, etc??
Cheers
crak

Hi CRAK!
Its good to know that you will be holidaying in ooty this yearend. Me and Riaz bhai along with Mayoor went to nilgiries for angling two monts back . We didnt go upto ooty but stayed in Madhumalai forest and stayed at one of my friends farm who charge very moderately for a big hall and room where 8-10 people can accomodate easly. Moyar river flows very next to his property. Apart from that on a special request and guide charges he can arrange to take you deep inside the jungle where there are three big waters. It is full of trouts and carps.
Although we didnt had any luck there i hope you will find this information and the place very interesting.
Ban on any commercial endorsement is why i'm not mentioning the website and contact nos. of the said person/place. Please feel free to PM me for the above.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Michaelaga... What about the Redhills and Avalanche?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:29 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Parkash,
Your post is news to me,though I have been in the Nilgiris for more than 25 years and i have doubts which i hope you can clarify.
1) Trout will not survive in the warm waters of Mudamalai, and any if exist will be only those washed down.
2) To my knowledge the only river with sufficient water in in the middle of the game santuary. Rivers outside the game santuary are only seasonal.
3) I too know at least 5 friends who have guest houses and none of then mention trout fishing.
I will PM you as I am interested if this is true.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hawkeye,
Red Hill is on the banks of Avalanch lakes, and this area has no fish due to pollution by fertilizer and pesticide water runoff. anything that may survive is caught by illegal bait fishing. The only part of Avalanch where there is trout is in stream next to the trout hatchery and the stream lake enterance. But this in Forest lands and the Forest Department is not allowing genuine anglers to fish.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

michaelaga wrote:
Hi Parkash,
Your post is news to me,though I have been in the Nilgiris for more than 25 years and i have doubts which i hope you can clarify.
1) Trout will not survive in the warm waters of Mudamalai, and any if exist will be only those washed down.
2) To my knowledge the only river with sufficient water in in the middle of the game santuary. Rivers outside the game santuary are only seasonal.
3) I too know at least 5 friends who have guest houses and none of then mention trout fishing.
I will PM you as I am interested if this is true.
Regards
Michael

Hi MICHAEL!
As i have mentioned we didnt had any luck and i cant claim that i caught or saw a trout. We were told by locals that trout are also spotted in the waters as i believe the place i'm talking bout is gudalur which is very near to higher terrain where tempratures are on relatively lower side throughout the year. While returning from forest we met some very young kids who had caught small mahseer, so the existence of mahseer was confirmed in MOYAR river
I have also sent you the Pm mentioing bout the place and the contact no. of the person. I hope you can speak to him and get your further queries answered.
bye for now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Prakash,
Thanks for the PM,now I know where the place is and I pass it quite often.My personal opinion ( which could be wrong) with no disrepect is that there is no way that the trout lakes have connection for spill over into this area. This is not a masheer area as during the dry weather the stream will have very little water. Masheer are found in the Moyar gorge which seperates Tamil Nadu from Karnataka.
It is almost impossible to get permission now to fish there. It is quite possible that the owner has stocked the water with carp from the fishery departmnet in Ooty and the locals call them masheer.
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MICHEAL!
Thanks for inputs. We met some very young kid near moyar river and they showed us the small fishes. Riaz bhai and mayoor confirmed it of being mahseer. I think riaz bhai will be able to explain further.
The water where we tried our luck comes in a private property of 1000 acres where our aquitence took us only after taking permission from the manager of the estate.