->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys I am planning a trip sometime in early Nov to Garhwal to check out some of the local Mastiff breeds.
Would love to do some angling too while I'm there.I would appreciate any input from members familiar with the area since I'm trying to put together my trip schedule.We plan to drive down from Delhi and spend around 5 days in the area.
If any body has info/ contacts pertaining to the local dog breeds there too it would be very handy.
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yaj, not sure if you can get Vedan on the phone but I remember him talking abt the mastiffs. IG may be able to help too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I'm looking forward to their input Bops.
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 am 
Fishaholic

hi yaj, will pm you some spots!
cheers,

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Yej :-) ,
If you are going to Dehradun and planning some fishing there what I suggest you hit the road which goes from Massouri to Kata Patthar via kampty falls. After crossing Kampty fall, there is a bridge across yamuna and on the right side of the bridge (While coming from the Kampty side) there is a small dhaba. Go down to the river stream from that side and after walking about 100 mtrs you will see a monster of a rock projecting in the stream itself. Try casting on either side of that rock. I am sure you will hit gold there :idea: . You can also drive up to Kata Patthar from there and in between there are many spots where you can try your luck. You can also go to Paonta Sahib from there via Dak Patthar, Vikas Nagar. From there you can go to Hathni kund, Kalesar or Dadahu etc. If you plan to go to Paonta Sahib I can arrange some local assistance for you in case you require any thing. The upstream of Yamuna where Gir River meets Yamuna is also a very nice spot.
Happy Fishing.
Regards,

Ali..
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks IG and Ali. Ali if you dont mind I would like to meet you and discuss preferred routes ,convenient stopovers etc.some time soon.
Thanks,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:07 pm 
Fishaholic

hi yaj, check your pm!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi there Yaj,

First about the dogs. some people I knew bought a pair last December but the did not survive. The pups came from a Gaddi family that passes by their place every winter. This is near Corbett. I'll try and get you the contact address and other details.

There is another person, Mahinder Singh, living as Naukuchiatal (near Nainital). He had really good dogs, about 14 of them many years ago. Don't know if he has any still. Mahinder has a lodge at the lake. Incidently the lake is filled with carp and an occasional mahseer.

The problem with getting mastiffs is that a lot local/mixed puppies are passed off to you. Make sure you see the mum and the dad.

About the fishing. Good route would be - delhi - karnal - yamuma nagar - Dadupur (up the yamuna from here) - Ponata sahib/tajewala/hathni kund - Yamuna bridge - Back to chill at doon/Muss. From Doon get to the ganga - Rishikesh - Byaas ghat - and keep going up stream. Once you have done this part get to Corbett and fish the Ram Ganga. OR get to the river Kosi. Good fishing to be had at Betal Ghat and near the bridge on the way to Almora.

If you are looking for a trout head for a lake called Dotitaal near Uttarkashi. It is a day's trek up and you'll be rewarded with some fantastic fishing and great views.

get in touch when you get closer north.

Sending you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the info Ken!
Could you give me an idea of the time required to do the route you have suggested? Any suggestions for stopover/stay?
About the dogs,I'm not looking for a pup for myself :wink: with three dogs already I''l probably get booted out if I get one more :oops:
I have been collected data on our native dog breeds and my reason for visiting the area is mainly a rare mastiff variant called the Kumaon mastiff which unlike the tibetan/gaddi/etc is a smooth coated mastiff.What i have heard is there are more of them in Italy than in India :x
Would be much obliged if you could dig up some info/contacts.
Thanks,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:17 am 
Fishaholic

yaj wrote:
Thanks for the info Ken!
Could you give me an idea of the time required to do the route you have suggested? Any suggestions for stopover/stay?
About the dogs,I'm not looking for a pup for myself :wink: with three dogs already I''l probably get booted out if I get one more :oops:
I have been collected data on our native dog breeds and my reason for visiting the area is mainly a rare mastiff variant called the Kumaon mastiff which unlike the tibetan/gaddi/etc is a smooth coated mastiff.What i have heard is there are more of them in Italy than in India :x
Would be much obliged if you could dig up some info/contacts.
Thanks,
Yaj.

Kumaon Mastiff...The Cypro Kukur.. last time I read somewhere that there are only 15-20 left in Kumaon.. Best of Luck Yaj....

-Inder
PS: How's Astra doing..please post some latest pics of her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:17 am 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:

Kumaon Mastiff...The Cypro Kukur.. last time I read somewhere that there are only 15-20 left in Kumaon.. Best of Luck Yaj....

-Inder
PS: How's Astra doing..please post some latest pics of her.

Thanks Inder I'm gonna need it! I'll post some of Astra's pics on the pets thread.She is 28 " and 43 kgs now and strong as an ox :-)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:37 am 
Fishaholic

43 kgs! That's one big puppy. I am sure she doesn't realise her size and throws herself around.

Got three dogs myself. Big guys at that. They are completely into WWF with me and I have the scars to show. But the minute thye see my little one holding the leash there is not even the slightest tug.

Can't keep anymore though my daughter wants to take every stray home. "Just for a few days. It'll be like a holiday for them" is the excuse she has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
. But the minute thye see my little one holding the leash there is not even the slightest tug.

Can't keep anymore though my daughter wants to take every stray home. "Just for a few days. It'll be like a holiday for them" is the excuse she has.

Its a great sight to see kids with big dogs! Would love to see pics :wink:
Your daughter sure sounds like my kinda gal :D .Give her my regards.
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

This is her and Walter. Walter is the boss. Growls (no malice though) at everyone except her.

This is how they sleep. Tramp gets in first and whines till the AC is switched on. Please notice the Dalmatian bedsheets, chosen by guess who?

This is Junior. he gets the worst of everything. In the past he has painted to look like a leopard, saddled to be a horse and then this!

But it is real unconditional love from all four sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ken! Amazing pics !Too cute for words :D
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup! Cute for sure. Even she is at times. hahahahaahah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:42 pm 
Fishaholic

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Mahaseerken"]Image

This is her and Walter. Walter is the boss. Growls (no malice though) at everyone except her.

This is how they sleep. Tramp gets in first and whines till the AC is switched on. Please notice the Dalmatian bedsheets, chosen by guess who?

All that i can say is that you are one lucky guy. what a lovely little angel. congratulations.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks mate! Yup I thank the good Lord everyday for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Man three Dalmatians (Is first one also Dalmatian :? ) and a daughter... You got your hands full Mken.. I have a daughter 2.8 months and its hard to control her .. how you manage all four.. :D

One of my cousin use to have a Dalmatian ..real power house dog..never saw him standing or sitting....... Always jumping or running :D

Nice pics and yep as Yaj said too cute for words... :)

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:04 am 

Quote:
If you are looking for a trout head for a lake called Dotitaal near Uttarkashi. It is a day's trek up and you'll be rewarded with some fantastic fishing and great views.

I visited dodital few years ago, lovely views & the lots of of trout in this lake at about 10,000'. At the end of the small stream which feed the lake, I must have counted about 20 trout of decent size. Lovely sight.
I used a polarizing filter to cut throught the reflection on the water to have a look at the fish.
We were on a long trek in the area, did not have a fishing permit (3 fish only) which I think one could get in Uttarkashi. Last I heard that they are not issuing any fishing permits for Dodital. Can anyone conform this?

Beware of the greedy pandit from the temple. he is out to make money by offering space for pitching tents near the temple. By the end of it, the pandit deserved to be thrown in the cold water of dodital. :-)

Sat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

The trek to Dodital seems about a 2 day affair,am I right Sat? Anybody know any contact nos etc in Uttarkashi to find out about permits?
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 am 
Fishaholic

The trek to dodital is one full day. It is around 20 km from Kalyani sangam and the assi ganga confluence. The walk up to Agoda tough but after that it is pretty easy.

You could get mules at Kalayni Sangam but you will have to arrange this a day earlier.

At Agoda there is a PWD/forest rest house guard called lekhi ram (was there till 5 years ago). he can give you a pass. But it would be better to get one from the Uttar Kashi forest office.

Take a tent as the forest rest house is very small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

My mistake ,I meant 2 days to Dodital and back.Will try calling GMVN tel nos to see if I can find out about the fishing permits.
Regards,
Yaj.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:33 pm 

hi indiangypsy can i also share your knowlege on fishing spots around dehradun/garwhal.thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 am 
Fishaholic

andy_65_in wrote:
hi indiangypsy can i also share your knowlege on fishing spots around dehradun/garwhal.thanks

Sure andy, why not... only problem is I don't know you yet... simple rule... if you want something, you have to contribute too...