->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Me and riaz bhai will be hiting the ganges at Bihar (patna).
Is there any IA member from bihar ?

We plan to explore ganges at several spots and will travel upto Nepal for angling.

Anyone interested can join. Only traveling expenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Careful there mate. From what i hear you have to kidnap the fish there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the words of the caution.
Bihar is my birthplace and i still has some roots there. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:40 pm 
Fishaholic

8) 8) 8)

be careful as to what's hiding behind those roots.

:) :) :)

On a serious note. there is some very good fishing in those water. But you have to get the timing right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I think Prakash has it all covered.. His roots have symbiotic associations with soil microorganisms ..
Am I right Prakash? [smilie=think.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes santosh!
Keep going to bihar every now and then. Know a lot of people from differet strata . Aquinted with many a offroaders and offcourse familiar with soil microorganisms . :wink:
MAHSEERKEEN what is bout timing? please write in details bout bait to be used and type of ground baiting needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

When are you guys planning to go..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:11 pm 
Fishaholic

depends upon where you are fishing.

But from what little I have heard (friends in college and odd man on the street) there is a lot of netting. So you have to watch for that.

Some of the best places are where there are bunds/barrages. The pools below the gates open are full of fish. But here again there are things to look for. If the gates have been open for to long then most of the fish would have gone upstream.

Try lures (plugs and spinner and spoons) in these pools as there are a lot of mulley and chital. And set up for all the varieties of carp with a lot of ground bait.

HEY! try and get some shots of the Gangetic Dolphin. This maybe your last chance. To do this you'll need a boat with a motor. Once on the boat let of a lure about 60mtrs and see what happens.

will try and get some more info.

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:39 pm 

A word of caution there .... I may be wrong .... but I think that is on the IUCN Endangered species list???
I have no idea about ground realities ..... but best not to get into trouble with the authorities ...
Even though catching & releasing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Crak you monkey!

I did not mean try and catch one of them Dolphins but take picture of them. And while you are motoring around trying to get a look at them troll a small lure and see if anything bites.

The Gangetic Dolphin is endangered. Killed mostly for the oil which is a meant to be an aphrodisiac. The closest to Delhi that one can see it is at Narora, near the Atomic power plant. But even here it is not safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:40 pm 

I did think your post said "shots at" as compared to "shots of" as it stands currently. Was quite shocked myself.
Sorry ... my bad!!! [smilie=whistle.gif]

I read it up ..... very sad that fewer than 2000 of them remain as per the last WWF survey in the year 2000.:cry:
However, there are reports of populations in some parts of the Ganges almost doubling due to conservation efforts.
The Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Sanctuary in Bihar is the only protected area for the Gangetic Dolphin in the whole of Asia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeh! pretty sad about the Dolphins. I have seen them a few times. The first was when I was a kid. WE went up river with the Ocean to Sky expedition. I must have been 5. I was in awe. Then years later I saw then at Narora. Nothing had changed, I was still in awe.

They are angles that live in water instead of heaven.

Post subject: dolphin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Yeh! pretty sad about the Dolphins. I have seen them a few times. The first was when I was a kid. WE went up river with the Ocean to Sky expedition. I must have been 5. I was in awe. Then years later I saw then at Narora. Nothing had changed, I was still in awe.

They are angles that live in water instead of heaven.

I either saw or imagined I saw one in the Brahmaputra, it moved very fast and disappeared from view. But even that was a treat. :lol:

Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:02 am 

prakash wrote:
Me and riaz bhai will be hiting the ganges at Bihar (patna).
Is there any IA member from bihar ?
We plan to explore ganges at several spots and will travel upto Nepal for angling.

Avoid this trip buddy or change your route as there is a lot of nacsalite problems there. I had a very bad experience there.

Danish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:25 am 

Hi Riaz..

Wish you all the best for your trip to Ganges..

Hope we get to read a good account of that trip whenever that happens..

On a lighter note, Is angling your main profession? I am amazed at the number of angling trips you undertake..

Wish you good luck and safe trip..

Regards,

Arokiaraj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Arokiaraj
thanks for your best wishes
Angling is my hobby ,Iam thankful to Almighty for that time i have,
wish to write a nice experience of my angling
too poor in writing yet sure will try to pen down a few
interesting lines as soon as i return
regards
riaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Mahseerkeen/Dev/Crack/Danish.
Thanks for writin.
Ganga dolphin is very common to see. I have seen it many a times. It is coca cola color and swims very fastand called soons localy. Yes it is in list of endengered species and lot of awarness campaign is been run by one Mr R.K.sinha who is a Botany professor at Patna university.. Actualy these dolphins are killed for the sake of its body oil which in turn is used for ground baiting before throwing a special netting style called "MAHAJAAL" as done in sea.

Danish i believe you are from IFG As mentioned on that blog, i am basicaly a bihari by birth and and know well bout bihar. The kind of nacsal problem you are talking bout is basicaly in interiors of the state and above all nacsalism doesnt hurt a commoner. It is basicaly a war for certain issues which a nacsal thinks goverment is not doing sufficient and there is no wayout but to take things in their hands.

I hope my post willnot be considered as a support to the idea of nacsalism and thus doesnot entitled to be deleted .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:58 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
When are you guys planning to go..??

Santosh it should take place next week. Are you planning to join. I promise you will be witnessing more than mumbai in many ways :wink:

We also plan to go upto KATHMANDU AND POKHRA .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

I would love to Prakash.. but its too soon.. I will be traveling with work till 6th of October .. cant even go to powai.. :cry:

Have fun & wish you both some great fishes.. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 pm 

prakash wrote:
Danish i believe you are from IFG As mentioned on that blog

Yes I am a member of IFG but running my own forum TGG (The Gun Geek)

prakash wrote:
i am basicaly a bihari by birth and and know well bout bihar. The kind of nacsal problem you are talking bout is basicaly in interiors of the state and above all nacsalism doesnt hurt a commoner. It is basicaly a war for certain issues which a nacsal thinks goverment is not doing sufficient and there is no wayout but to take things in their hands.

Every year in winters i go to patna and from there we go for fishing and outing near river SON and GANGA. Have faced nacsal problem 3 years ago in the river SON area and very close to patna so i believe that if nacsalites can travel so close to the capital city of bihar then they can go any where. And these days it is not safe to go there. This is my personal opinion. Pokhra is very good for anglers as if have been there and the lake of pokhra is too good for fishing.

Post subject: nascalites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

nascalites = nascalites?

Are you guys using a code of some sort? Pretty fancy stuff.

dev

p.s. hi Danish, nice forum name.

Post subject: Re: nascalites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:42 pm 

dev wrote:
p.s. hi Danish, nice forum name.

Thanks Dev 8)

dev wrote:
nascalites = nascalites?
Are you guys using a code of some sort? Pretty fancy stuff.

Dunno.... i typed the correct thing but it get changed in prakash's & mine post. May be some system error. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

It's not a system error. Just a way to keep IA off the charts when it comes to stuff like this. You guys should know better than to discuss stuff like this on a fishing forum :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear danish !
r u connected to patna in anyways?where did u fished in ganga/son? What were the catches? Do you know anyone from patna who is interested in angling ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 am 

prakash wrote:
r u connected to patna in anyways?where did u fished in ganga/son? What were the catches? Do you know anyone from patna who is interested in angling ?

Yes, I am half bihari from mother's side :lol: Mostly i go to SON for fishing (near maner). I have not gone to ganga for past 6 or 7 years in Patna. I have a whole gang of adverture enthusiast in patna. I also have a boat for two people with manual air filling compressor. We can carry it in a hand bag and when needed you just fit the compressor and blow it. I bought it from dubai but never used it, its brand new. Every winters we assemble there and go for fishing & outing. i'll let you know the dates for next trip in december and you can also join us.

Post subject: bihar, nepal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:35 pm 

hi prakash,

i've been travelling (road and rail) across pretty remote stretches of north bihar recently and i've had no problems at all. the flood situation is pretty bad though... i saw areas running upto the horizon from the railway tracks between saharsa and purnia totally under water with people and farm animals seeking shelter on bunds and high roads. so im not sure how good the fishing may be. i did notice baby murrel by the thousands in the canals.

since you're planning to come up to kathmandu, we could meet up and do a little fishing at a large lake nearby... plenty of grass carp, murrel and i suspect even mahseer. have all the info you'll need for pokhara as well.

pm me when you're headed uphill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi yak!
You reminded me the hotel YAK AND YETI and senti feelin of old kathmandu where slot machine use to puke endless number of coins. :wink:
Yesterday only Me and Bops were thinking bout calling you.
Thanks for the excellent bit of info. R u from bihar? We plan to fish just below the mahatma gandhi setu from the Hajipur side and will try some other place near BARH.
will let you know the programme as it reaches upto booking level.
Please leave your contact number .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:57 pm 

i'm from calcutta. live in kathmandu. been in nepal for a dozen years now. will send you my number in a pm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Yak - Don't be giving Terence any problems now.. You don't wanna know what he did to my chair when he was at the Fort :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:39 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: ok gav, the yak knights thee chairman in return for the smithereens !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi YAK!
Thanks for the number. will there be any problem at BHANSAR related to entering with the private vehicle? Heard these days its a long procedure to get clearence . Has they also introduced some kind of daily charges for the private vehicle ?
Please inform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:36 pm 

as you register your vehicle for entry at the border post you will be given a temporary licence plate - yes there is a daily charge that you will have to pay. i'm told it isn't a lengthy procedure.

be informed that there is currently political unrest (and curfew) in kapilvastu near the sunauli/bhairahawa border post. use the raxaul/birgunj or jogbani/biratnagar border point. but even there be careful while driving through lahan and chandranigapur. make it a point to ask about the road and political situation up ahead at every town you pass. at hetauda if you are told that things are ok at narayanghat then stay on the main highway and drive up. if not, take the shortcut via daman to kathmandu. this is a thickly forested road that runs steeply uphill to daman and then downhill to naubise where it rejoins the main highway.

one last thing - make sure you have a large A3 pritnout with TOURIST written across it and stuck to the windshield of your vehicle... and at the back if possible.

cheers nonetheless ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:51 am 
Fishaholic

My grandfather used to run a hospital in Akhbarpur district Navada. You been a local it might be easy for you however I got mugged / pick pocketed couple of times on the way to Bodh Gaya. Never did any fishing there. I hope you catch a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi THATHAGATA!
Thanks for the input! Navada is around80 k from patna and that perticular section of bihar is famous for its notorious nature. All the NASCAL problems start from there only. The railways is single track on that line and there trains are run on mercy of localites as they stop the train just in front of thier respective house by manual disconnecting of hose pipe .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Danish!
would any of your friend will like to join us for fishing near patna? Pleease let me know. What bait you used while fishing in son? What were the catches?
You are a lucky man having maternal uncles home in MANER. I wonder u used LADDOS as bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:58 am 

prakash wrote:
would any of your friend will like to join us for fishing near patna? Pleease let me know. What bait you used while fishing in son? What were the catches?
You are a lucky man having maternal uncles home in MANER. I wonder u used LADDOS as bait.

Sorry for the late reply prakash.....

We use earthworm and atta as bait in river son. You can find rohu and many other small fishes. I don't know the name of all those fishes.
My maternal uncle lives in patna and maner is just 30 km from patna. Yes when ever we pass through maner we buy a few laddos but never tried them as a bait. :lol:

Danish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:29 am 
Fishaholic

prakash wrote:
Hi THATHAGATA!
Thanks for the input! Navada is around80 k from patna and that perticular section of bihar is famous for its notorious nature. All the NASCAL problems start from there only. The railways is single track on that line and there trains are run on mercy of localites as they stop the train just in front of thier respective house by manual disconnecting of hose pipe .

You bet!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi DANISH!
I'm still waiting for the contact numbers of your friends in patna interested in angling. Our programme is geting delayed cause it is subject to green signal from the person me and riaz bhai suppose to meetsince it is a business cum angling trip.
Whats r ur plan?
Brother from KATMANDU is asked bout the recent political unrest. Will it be advisible to come now amidst lot of chaos.