Dont know how I missed reading this thread earlier. probably since no one had written since I had joined this forum ?
Bops & everyone else, the idea of having a specialised book on fishing is absolutely fantactic. It would be a dream for many wanna be's.
I have noticed someone or the other mentioning different aspects that need consideration & I agree with everyones contribution. Maybe the order of how to approach & topic is not what I would follow, but its pretty much there.
If I was trying to get a book together I would probably try & get things done in a sequence of this kind:
1) figure out if I had sufficient matter to put together (In this case I am sure we do)
2) Decide if you want the book as a guide to anglers, or a guide to beginers or if you are reaching out internationally to promote your region.
Based on this you have to decide if you are putting this book together to make money or only for informative purposes.
3) decide on the target audience. If it is for amateurs or for Pros. (I'm sure that pros will have their own opinion & your's wouldnt matter.) I would suggest to make it simple & try to reach out to the person who doesnt fish.
4) Use fishing terms, no matter how confusing they may be to the common man & have a glossary at the end.
5) Humour the pages with funny fishing experiences the the bottom of every page or every second page.
6) Decide on the publicity that you want to have for the book. Maybe you would like to have a launch.
7) Decide on the type of paper quality you would like to have for the book. I'm sure that you know presentation is also very important.
Decide on the matter that you would like your book to contain.
9) Finance ???
If you ask me, I'm sure that you will get some publisher to take charge, but initially, gathering all the info, images, photos, articles, expertise for various, incidents etc is gonna cost. It may seem like nothing, but once put in motion could round up to a bit.
I'm sure that a lot of people could contribute in many different ways. its a pity that my fishing knowledge is quite limited, but If you have a humour section, I could probably contribute my crazy experiences.
I wish us all the very best for this book & hope it takes shape really soon as I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of em.