->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Many times i get asked the same question can i land a 30 kg fish on this rod or is 20 lbs line strong enough to land a 50 lbs fish.Most fishermen today are using gear far heavier then needed.The thought of losing a catch of a life time spurs us onto buying heavy duty reels....extra strong hooks and super strength lines.Playing a fish with skill and finesse is the name of the game.in my early days around the 80s,i did not have the means to buy the top lines all i had was garware Garfon....The fright of having my line part while fighting a fish was so great that i played the fish until it was so tired that it belly flopped and basically floated.The number of cast per/day also varies when using heavy gear which results in less time your lure is the water...which again dictates your chance of a strike.Yes if ever you do hook a big one give it your best shot if he wins ....you will dream of the one that got away...because we do not dream of what we have kept.Tightlines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
....you will dream of the one that got away...because we do not dream of what we have kept.Tightlines.

Fully agree... [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif] [smilie=nod.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 am 
Fishaholic

@heliox 1965

There is a delicate balance between fishing with light equipment for sport and the onus of ensuring that the quarry is released in a state whereby one ensures it's survival.

A fish played for a long time will be exhausted and either succumb due to
fatigue or it will be so weak that it will not be able to escape from
predators upon it's release by the angler.

There is a case to be made for horsing a fish in with heavy lines, especially when there are sharks around that will rip into the hooked fish before it may be boated, or if the fish can reach structure where it will break the line.

We use 50 lb braided lines to boat tuna,GTs and mackerel quickly for
this very reason..... one could have used lighter lines if one wanted a more
sporting outcome .

This fine balance between the survival of the fish and sport is dictated by the angler.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Fully agree with you kingfish.

heliox1965 wrote:
....you will dream of the one that got away...because we do not dream of what we have kept.Tightlines.

I think more of nightmares than pleasant dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Many times i get asked the same question can i land a 30 kg fish on this rod or is 20 lbs line strong enough to land a 50 lbs fish.Most fishermen today are using gear far heavier then needed.The thought of losing a catch of a life time spurs us onto buying heavy duty reels....extra strong hooks and super strength lines.Playing a fish with skill and finesse is the name of the game.in my early days around the 80s,i did not have the means to buy the top lines all i had was garware Garfon....The fright of having my line part while fighting a fish was so great that i played the fish until it was so tired that it belly flopped and basically floated.The number of cast per/day also varies when using heavy gear which results in less time your lure is the water...which again dictates your chance of a strike.Yes if ever you do hook a big one give it your best shot if he wins ....you will dream of the one that got away...because we do not dream of what we have kept.Tightlines.

while reading this post I noded in agreement a several times as Neil seems to have echoed my thoughts exactly as they were in my mind Because I too have to field such questions and believe me when Neil was writing this post that time I was in Andheri where an angler showed me a spool of armour coated line and eagerly asked " will this increase my catches " at which I only smiled as I did'nt have the time to explain him what I thought and since he does visits IA I hope he reads this and gets the message :D

just like Neil , I too have faced the same situation in the beginning of my fishy days , making wooden lures at home and using Garware(Garflon line , my all time or say old time favourite )
In my early days of angling I once went on a fishing trip with an angler who had a ( imported from the USof A tag all over him & his tackle :lol: ) we came to a place and there was only enough space for one angler to cast, and Mr HiFi decided that he'll try first and as he was reeling his rapala x-rap, a fish struck and cut him on the rocks now he had to prepare his setup again and I told him to move over, so that I can cast till he is ready but he did not budge from the place till he lost three X-raps in quick successions and I was like [smilie=holyshit.gif] ( as I did not even have one rapala in my collection at the moment) he now taunted me saying penn reel and american line has failed to control the fish , what can your Chinese reel with desi line and bhangar lures do here ?? The words did sting deep in my heart :( but the LORD restored my honour :D in the next 20 mins I pulled two Mangrove Jacks both of three kg weight and my partner suddenly got a migraine attack and decided to pack up for the day :lol: on the way to the hotel I said never find fault on the floor if you can't dance [smilie=giggle.gif]
just as Neil said " Playing a fish with skill and finesse is the name of the game "
some of my best catches have come from the so called bhangar tackles for example the 12kg red snapper was caught on a chinese reel of just 1500rs and ofcourse the line was garware :D and the old lure was chinese one too ( my fishing partner Anthony is the witness to it all )
don't buy heavy gear and fight fish on a tight drag ! That’s not sport ! always Keep a small drag and give the fish 60% chance of doing what it wants and you can still control the fish if you are calm n composed
(If any new angler is wondering which brand is bhangar lures :lol: well bhangar is a hindi word for scrap , as my lures were all worn out and I had pasted silver foil on its body to create the sardine effect ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm 
Fishaholic

our priority is the health of our fish, so fish to your capabilities....
make sure your line is strong enough to do what you require..
now i do bait fishing, and have almost always used a hook length..
this is a short piece of line that we tie the hook to that is weaker than the main line... for example, when fishing to the far bank of a river with a feeder i would usually use two kg main line to cast the feeder, but only use .5kg hook length because fish that have been caught before may be wary of the line, plus if an accident happened and my main line snapped the fish has a chance of breaking the weaker hook length and so will not end up tethered to my feeder... but remember that a two kilo chub is a good river fish, and i would be confident to land a two kilo fish on a half kilo hook length