->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Uptide Rods - Shimano
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,
I was really dissapointed when a brand new Uptide Nexave 96610 snapped in two on its very first outing to the Kaveri in May this year.
I have used a Shimano twin power uptide 10410 for over 10 years for Masheer and it is really sturdy and has been through a lot. Can you imagine the look on my face when this happened.
I got this one from a dealer in England, and he in turn lifted it from Denmark as he didn't have one in stock. No amount of prodding from my end to the dealer or Shimano has prompted them to even reply to my mails. Does anyone know how to get them to acknowledge receipt of my mail and take some action.
As you guys out there know, specialized tackle is pretty hard to come by in this country and it seems ridiculous for a rod to break the way it did.
Won't be buying any of their stuff ever again.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen,

I recently had the bail arm on my Shimano Symetre 4000RI break. Since it was bought from Cabelas, I contacted Shimano U.S.A.. They sent me two bailarms FOC. The postage on the jiffy bag itself was a whopping $22.00

Since neither the dealer or Shimano (Europe) seem to be responding to your e-mails, I suggest you join www.anglersnet.co.uk and mention the trouble you have been having. You may just have a result if you mention the shop's name and e-mail the link to the thread to both Shimano and the dealer.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:39 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,
who was the dealer?
I'll see if I can help.
regards,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

What a pity about that rod. It must have been a structural defect or something like that. The new graphite rods are wonderful... light but strong. But they're delicate.
We've been using the Shimano Beastmasters 96610 and they're absolute beasts!! I don't see anything happening to one of those rods on the Cauvery.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey guys !! It appears that all of you are using Shimano Rods :roll: . Is there any specific reason, why there is deep affinity for these rods.. My dad gifted me a pair of Shakespeare's on my 16th b'day.. 9 years down the line and i haven't had a single problem wt them watsoever. and have landed some decent size fish also :P

Am not a whiz in angling and am not really up-to-date with all the different models and reels that u seasoned anglers discuss, so do forgive this guy !! :shock: but am trying my best to learn :lol:

I use a normal old reels. No fancy casting stuff tho' I do have them. I personally prefer to use the old reels :lol: (Hope you guys know wat i mean) the fish takes a run, you let him take line. He stops, u reel in. No set drag or change in gears stuff, but just mano-e-fisho, 12lb line, a 6 feet Shakespeare, and a whole load of water-space :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry about your rod mate.

In my experience Shimano have the WORST aftersales service, About 8 years ago I purchased 2 Shimano Tiagra 50lb class big game reels. One of the screws that secures the reel seat into the flange got its threading busted.

No matter what I did, I never got it replaced.

I have never purchased a Shimano piece of kit ever since, with the exception of some rod cases.

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Penn, they have sent me spares several times and never charged me a dime. Now all my game reels are from Penn Internalional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Managed to get the uptide fixed by my brother. Hopefully there won't be a dead spot in there. He did try pulling down his gate after the fix, and it bent in pretty evenly. The things we guy's have to do for tackle in this country.
You are right about Shimano, i won't be buying anything from them for a long time.
Hey Gavin, i too use a few Diawa rods, but the ones i have a not really built for Masheer or for use with multiplier reels, so i just use what i am comfortable with. One tends to continue buying the brand that you are confident of, until the shit hits the fan, and you don't get any help from the manufacturer.
Hey Bobby i read somewhere that Penn has an uptide rod out for the European market. Opening their multipliers is a nightmare dude!
Tight Lines
Owen
Bobby wrote:
Sorry about your rod mate.

In my experience Shimano have the WORST aftersales service, About 8 years ago I purchased 2 Shimano Tiagra 50lb class big game reels. One of the screws that secures the reel seat into the flange got its threading busted.

No matter what I did, I never got it replaced.

I have never purchased a Shimano piece of kit ever since, with the exception of some rod cases.

At the opposite end of the spectrum are Penn, they have sent me spares several times and never charged me a dime. Now all my game reels are from Penn Internalional.

Post subject: Shimano Rods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

I cannot recall ever having opened a penn multiplier.

I have opened my Abu though, I order special multipliers as I want left hand retrives. And getting them back together can be a bit of a headache. I appreciate what you are talking, mechs on them all are bacically the same.

I am one of those guys who cannot stop buying fishing tackle, I have an embarassing amount of Rods and Reels. So it rarely comes down to me having to completely OH my reels and rods except a couple of favourites with exception of my my Big Game reels.

If you are looking at buying tackle, Singapore and next Dubai are about the cheapest places to buy your stuff, especailly Game Tackle it is about 20% cheaper than the US.

I got my lures whole sale from Yo-zuri but that does not stop me from getting some more every time I get into a tackle shop.

So there you go, I'm possessed.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject: Re: Shimano Rods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
If you are looking at buying tackle, Singapore and next Dubai are about the cheapest places to buy your stuff, especailly Game Tackle it is about 20% cheaper than the US.

Bobby, any shops in particular? Contact details would be appreciated.

When you say 'Big Game' tackle, I assume they mostly cater to the saltys?

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

I saw that you had mentioned earlier in the thread that you owned 2 Tiagra 50's. I recently bought a Tiagra 50WLRSA. Could you let me know about your setup? I'm about to order a rod, was wondering what rods you'd matched the reels with?

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Re: Shimano Rods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
i did try opening a Penn multiplier, still have to put it back together.
Abu i feel is much easier to service, and i have been taking apart my reels and cleaning them after every trip. The river sand can play havoc with the mechanism even if you don't put it down in the sand.
Don't travel out of India so there is very little opportunity of picking up any serious tackle except from friends over here, and that is very rare. You guys are lucky to be able to pick up tackle off the shelf.
Ever fish the Cauvery ?
Regards
Owen
Bobby wrote:
Hi Owen,

I cannot recall ever having opened a penn multiplier.

I have opened my Abu though, I order special multipliers as I want left hand retrives. And getting them back together can be a bit of a headache. I appreciate what you are talking, mechs on them all are bacically the same.

I am one of those guys who cannot stop buying fishing tackle, I have an embarassing amount of Rods and Reels. So it rarely comes down to me having to completely OH my reels and rods except a couple of favourites with exception of my my Big Game reels.

I got my lures whole sale from Yo-zuri but that does not stop me from getting some more every time I get into a tackle shop.

So there you go, I'm possessed.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Both Darran and I have serviced Penn and Abu multipliers on many occasions. We've got the hang of servicing those reels and have 'blown up' parts drawings for the reels.
If you need any help just let us know and we'll come across and give you a hand.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guy's, will take you up on the Penn one of these days. I have some exploded diagrams of the Abu, so i haven't had too many problems there.
Regards
Owen
Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Owen,

Both Darran and I have serviced Penn and Abu multipliers on many occasions. We've got the hang of servicing those reels and have 'blown up' parts drawings for the reels.
If you need any help just let us know and we'll come across and give you a hand.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby, dont ever be embarassed of having too much rods and reels.. Am here if u ever need to "share" your embarassment :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

This generated some healthy response.

I will try and reply to all the emails posted to me as I missed a few.

There are 2 shops I get my tackle from.

Five Dots Enterprise, 337 Beach Road. They deal in Penn and House of Hardy Equipt mostly. I get my Saltwater Fly and Big Game tackle from here. These guys are very nice. I have most of my salt water flies got directly from the US.

I have bought my Finn Nor and Shimano Game reels from from Hong Guan, but I am again not too sure about the name, I was there last month, but I will go there either end of this month or next. I will get the names of the shops for you guys.

Most of my lures and skirts I have got whole sale directly from makers or their agents. My brothers room mate in the US was a South African guy who sold a whole load of trolling heads and skirts (in the 100’s) for just a song.

Mighty Marlin: I have several game rods that I mix with my reels. I would not recommend going for Shimano, go in for Penn International or Penn International II. Or even a Senator for that matter. Just for the after sales service. Remember (to the best of my knowledge) Fin Nor has been bought by Shimano about 3 years ago.

My 130lb reels are Penn International II, Fin Nor (Minionaire tri gear) and Everol. – I match this with Diawa and Penn International II Rods. All IGFA rated 130lb class straight butt rods. (But I rarely use 130lb tackle) for want of a fighting chair in India.

My 80 lb reels are Penn International II, all set on 80 lb Penn International II rods or Killwell rods. (IGFA)

My 50lb reels Shimano Tiagra, set on Penn International II and Kilwell Rods

My 30 lb Penn International Reels on Penn Senator, International Rods.

I took a look at your site noticed you don’t have fishing chairs so you should not fish over 50lbs, standup rods are a lot more economical than ones built for fighting in chairs. Again I would go in for Penn rods. But you have a wide choice here, go in for some reupted big game tackle manufacturer. Ensure that at least the tip guide of your rod has a roller guide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:21 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin, we need to join a Tackoholic anonymous group, nice to know there is some support out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Owen,

Mighty Marlin.

Excellent (testing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

.Most of my lures and skirts I have got whole sale directly from makers or their agents. My brothers room mate in the US was a South African guy who sold a whole load of trolling heads and skirts (in the 100’s) for just a song

Oh wow! I'm picking up/making a whole lot of resin/metal trolling heads to experiment with later this year.
We decided not to go with fighting chairs as the whole setup costs a whack! We're fishing mostly 20lb, 30lb and 50lb class to start with. Hence all the rods are straight butts for standup fighting. We already have a couple of Penn 30 - 50lb standup rods which we're using. They both have roller guides for the first and tip guides. For the 50lb class we're using standup fighting harnesses which are a pleasure to use.
Before I forget.... once you've formed the 'Tackoholics anonymous group' you have another member who needs to join. :wink:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Marlin,

Eventually you will want a Chair.

I fish only twice a year in India so I could not warrant a Boat but if I did I would surely get a chair in there. I know they cost a wack but you still have to know how crazy I am or can get.

You should look up some of the back end shops in Thailand, they make some chairs there and cheap. That could be a temp solution for you alternately you could try and have one fabricated locally.

I know stadnup's are fun, but wait till you get something over 300

If we are ever in the same town at the same time would like to catch up.

I am trying to post an image of part of a boat in India we set up for for trolling. Unfortunately pics are not too good and there may be some people in some prints would would not like to be on the net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Eventually you will want a Chair.
I will. I've got the design in mind and will probably have it fabricated here in India. Along with the chair will have to come the tackle, boat and crew.
Standup is good fun and we haven't had a really big fish yet, so we'll have to see what happens when we hook one.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Its going to happen...and it will be shit loads of fun.

Just need to be careful of accidents when the fish is close thats all

Try making some birds as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby its just a matter of time before it happens. Hopefully I won't *&^% off the side of the side of the boat strapped to a harness strapped to my rod and reel with an upset fish at the other end!! :lol:

The last time we were out we had a couple of power strikes close to the reefs... which I'm assuming were big GT. Couldn't do much as we were reefed both times. Are you interested in popping and jigging?

I have a bird that I've given to a fabricator.Think it's about 14 inches if I'm not mistaken... Should have a dozen birds in a month. I was told about birds being attacked and cut in half!! :shock:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

It will surely happen if you are persistant.

You need to pick the right bait or lures or the Spanyards will get them, last time they even took our teasers.

Yes I am interested in Popping and Jigging. I always carry poppers and use them when GT's or Ladyfish are about.

Birds do get hit very often, but I dont use them. I suggested as you have the opportunity to go our often.

Do you guys troll alot? And how far back, we keep our lures quite far (in India) as we find fish a bit shy to come close to the boat initially.

Do you get queenfish and Large Threadfin where you come from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

The last time we were out we got a bit irritated with the Spanyards. The majority of the strikes went to them. Any suggestions as to the lures one can use to avoid being plagued by them?

We troll while moving from one location to another to do away with boredom. We were getting our fish pretty much everywhere. We did alot of experimenting and mixed up the pattern using plugs and jets. I think the closest strike was about 10 meters behind the boat. We didn't have birds out then...... Have a feeling things will radically chage if we have a couple of birds out.

We do. I've never had to fortune to land a threadfin. They are present along our western coast and follow the mullet up rivers. A pity the last time there was a run I was out fishing for Mahseer. I'll find out more about them and let you know.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

They do not really take jet heads. But will take Minnow Type lures and spoons.

So if you only troll jet heads, then you should be able to avoid them and then only Tuna and Billfish should hit.

But there are exceptions (like I said earlier they once took all our plastic skirts that I had put out as teasers).

What kind of fish do you all get in your estuaries?

I do not want to get into a debate nor create any hostilities with all the Mahseer Fishos out there.

I have NEVER caught a Mahseer but a mate of mine who is a confirmed salty caught some in Corbett and down south told me that the Threadfin is a superior fish (to put it politely).

So forgive me if I have said something to offend any Mahseer Angler (Like I said I have not caught a Mahseer). I know a few Mahseer fishermen and I know what a passionate bunch of guys they are.

But Right or Wrong what this tells you the Threadfin is one a awesome fish to catch.

May I reiterate I do not mean to get into any debate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby!
Sorry we coulden't talk the other day, as i was on a bike in traffic when you called.
You are right dude! we are a passionate lot, and there are tired Masheer out there too. As you know, it's not just the fish that counts for the sport, the water that you catch it in and the condition of the fish. I have seen some 50lb Masheer come in within 15 minutes, and then others that were smaller take the skin off your fingers and leave you trembling while they remain "doggo" in the middle of the current and just won't budge an inch for ages. Try standing on a rock a foot in diameter in the middle of the rapids, with something like that at the other end, and you too will be a convert.
Not getting into any debates mate! I am sure offshore fishing is just as exciting.
Regard
Owen
Bobby wrote:
Hi MM,

So if you only troll jet heads, then you should be able to avoid them and then only Tuna and Billfish should hit.

But there are exceptions (like I said earlier they once took all our plastic skirts that I had put out as teasers).

I do not want to get into a debate nor create any hostilities with all the Mahseer Fishos out there.

I have NEVER caught a Mahseer but a mate of mine who is a confirmed salty caught some in Corbett and down south told me that the Threadfin is a superior fish (to put it politely).

So forgive me if I have said something to offend any Mahseer anger (Like I said I have not caught a Mahseer). I know a few Mahseer fishermen and I know what a passionate bunch of guys they are.

But Right or Wrong what this tells you the Threadfin is one a awesome fish to catch.

May I reiterate I do not mean to get into any debate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

I agree with Owen that when it comes to Mahseer fishing, it's not just the fighting ability of the fish that matters but also the location. Nothing can beat the thrill of catching a decent sized mahseer in a rapid, the surrounding jungle the the scenery all around you only exacerbates these feelings.

However when it comes to pure fighting ability, pound for pound most of the sea fish are stronger. One only has to hook into an Amberjack to hear the sound of a singing drag! :lol:

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Understand what you are saying, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work :).

I have been fishing since I was very little, it goes so far back I cannot remember when it started. But I remember my first decent catch they were Whiting in Bandra.

Regarding Mahseer, It is not the question of me becoming a convert or anything, it is just that time does not permit me to do all the things would I would like to. Sure I would love to go and wrestle with a Mahseer, BUT....

I have seen threadfin that came up like rags too after the first run. But whenever I have got one it fought till the very end.

Offshore fishing can get dull at times, because there is nothing to see but water, so I am the one mostly standing on the look out for any action or signs (even one from god )

Fishing Estuaries and the coast on the other hand can be a lot more entertaining when the fish are off.

Besides that we drive between Bombay and Goa in search of new places and grounds, that is very exciting. Collecting information from locals going there and trying it out and when we find some new places that are really good there an overwhelming sense of satisfaction to the whole thing. I would estimate we have had a 80% record when we try new places. I have always believed the whole coast is full of fish, it’s just that you got to know when and how to get them.

If only I can spend more time in India….

Two years ago we found this place that was so awesome for GT’s and Mangrove Jacks that it was odd if you cast and did not get hit. The fish were not huge but there were some real big ones. Several times I was hit 3 to 4 times on a single cast. Fish took let go, another one took again, threw the lure yet another one took again. What happened, some of the locals saw that and covered the place with nets.

Another place producing Barramundi of 40lb+, we used to go there take one sometimes 2 home, other anglers got the wind of it and fished the place to death. I heard of guys taking 6 fish home one day. That pissed me off to say the least.

I tell you something, I don’t know why but nothing gives me more pleasure than catching a fish in India. I may take a 100lb fish somewhere but the same fish of 2lb at home will give me more pleasure. Like I said, I don’t know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi MM,

That's what we figured. We had plugs out along with the jet heads and only the plugs got whacked.

I have to modify the jet heads, possibly making them heavier so they track deeper and increasing the bubble trail. Also now will use them with the birds.

I love angling because there are no hard and fast rules. The exceptions always give one something to think about while at home or even at work!! :D

The estuary fish would be barramundi, mangrove jacks, snapper, threadfin and GT. Still have to open my barramundi and threadfin account :oops:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

The thing about trolling a jethead is the speed, so even if you make them heavier, if the aim is to get them down it will not work.

Try trolling plainers to get your lures deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Was trolling the at 5 to 7 knots. Do you think I should be going faster? Have never used planers... hmm :roll:

Regards,
Mighty M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Next time you can make it down here, and if it is the right time of year, let me convert you into a Masheer Man ! I sure would like to learn about sea fishing from you guys too.
Regards
Owen
Bobby wrote:
Hi Owen,

Understand what you are saying, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work :).

I have been fishing since I was very little, it goes so far back I cannot remember when it started. But I remember my first decent catch they were Whiting in Bandra.

Regarding Mahseer, It is not the question of me becoming a convert or anything, it is just that time does not permit me to do all the things would I would like to. Sure I would love to go and wrestle with a Mahseer, BUT....

I have seen threadfin that came up like rags too after the first run. But whenever I have got one it fought till the very end.

Offshore fishing can get dull at times, because there is nothing to see but water, so I am the one mostly standing on the look out for any action or signs (even one from god )

Fishing Estuaries and the coast on the other hand can be a lot more entertaining when the fish are off.

Besides that we drive between Bombay and Goa in search of new places and grounds, that is very exciting. Collecting information from locals going there and trying it out and when we find some new places that are really good there an overwhelming sense of satisfaction to the whole thing. I would estimate we have had a 80% record when we try new places. I have always believed the whole coast is full of fish, it’s just that you got to know when and how to get them.

If only I can spend more time in India….

Two years ago we found this place that was so awesome for GT’s and Mangrove Jacks that it was odd if you cast and did not get hit. The fish were not huge but there were some real big ones. Several times I was hit 3 to 4 times on a single cast. Fish took let go, another one took again, threw the lure yet another one took again. What happened, some of the locals saw that and covered the place with nets.

Another place producing Barramundi of 40lb+, we used to go there take one sometimes 2 home, other anglers got the wind of it and fished the place to death. I heard of guys taking 6 fish home one day. That pissed me off to say the least.

I tell you something, I don’t know why but nothing gives me more pleasure than catching a fish in India. I may take a 100lb fish somewhere but the same fish of 2lb at home will give me more pleasure. Like I said, I don’t know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

I am sure I would enjoy it mate. My problem is time.

I was supposed to go to Boston on the 30th for my brother's wedding (another crazy angler), but have had to change plans because my sisters daughter slipped into a coma. My wife will be going to help my sis out so I will be staying back in Hong Kong.

I will have leave to spare sometime later this year but I dont know what I am going to do with it, unless I take the kids to India next week for a holiday??

Very much appreciate the offer mate, thanks very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the picture. Bopanna emailed it to me. We were doing pretty much the same but on a smaller boat.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.