->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

This is something that taught me NEVER to fool around with nature . Most of us guys must have made this decision one day or contemplated it once in our FISHING lifetime

This is something that happened to me

I was fishing at Madh island , alone on a weekday of the rocks . casting for over 5 hours over the ebb and the change of the tide . When the water went down there was a net that snagged one of my lures and so after trying to get it free for over an hour i stripped down to my jocks and took the plunge and swam out to cut the lure free . The only thing i did right that day was to strap my divers knife .. a 9 inch Nemrod with a rubber handle and sheath to my calf . I reached the net and went to release the lure . The next thing i knew was that my feet were entangled with the net ( it ballons under the surface with the ebb and sway of the tide ) . With the next ebb/sway iwas pulled under and never had the time to take a breath . Honestly I thought thats it .. its over . but then suddenly i remembered the knife . I got it out of its sheath and cut myself away ..

What i want to get out of this experience of mine is

1) Never fish alone
2) Youre not Rambo - but still be prepared - My knife edge helped me that day - keep equipment in peak condition ALWAYS - check and recheck even if it looks stupid
3) Never fool with nature = it has its way of telling you that its greater that you - respect it
4) Expect the unexpected - you will never be surprised
5) Learn from every fisherman - Even Gav - experience is priceless

I Sound ancient but i just thought id share my second lease of life with you ... i nearly lost it due to over confidence and stupidity - Incidently that lure cost me just rs 240 .. not worth a life right guys ..

Fish safe

Stay happy with your loved ones .. they wait for you to come home -HAPPY

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Freddie... Will remember that !!! [smilie=thatworks.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

I better start taking those swimming lessons...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice post Fred, I usually cut the line in case of a snag (I don't know swimming). I would like to add something here.

Always use a shock leader with atleast 6 wraps around the spool for surf casting.

LF