->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Sorry for such a topic. Just wanted to find out if anyone is there from Kannur/Thrissur so that I can club with them for a few fishing trips when I go to my wifes/my native !!

I am going to kannur today evening and for trying out near the beaches and jetty I would like to have some company !! :) If I take my wife or sister-in-law, they will be sighing heavily at 6 and pulling me back at 7.

I got to Thrissur often too, and I have plan to go to chettuva lake where it meets the sea and try my luck there. Just hoping if someone tried from anywhere in Thrissur and around, the I can tag along :)

I still feel shy and stupid using the rod and reel and the plugs when there are people watching.

thanks all,
Sabarish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sabarish,
wifes, wife's or wives?????
Be specific :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

I wish :p .. it was "wife's" .. my mistake !! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 pm 
Fishaholic

So since I got no buddy to fish with, I went with my sister in laws to a harbor near Kannur. On the way bought some squid and small sardine for bait. At 6 pm when we reached there, there were only two other handliners and just after 5 minutes I reached, one of the handliner pulled out a approximately 2.5 Kg red snapper (I believe its red snapper, they called it "chempalli" in malayalam). I quickly setup my gear and casted with a sardine as bait. After a while I felt a light tug and the a few more continuous when I decided to pull out and see if the bait is still there. It seem to me that the hook/weight got stuck in the rocks, but when I kept the rod bend and line tight, I could see the rod and line is getting pulled so but there was no run. I struggled to make it move and locals were suggesting it could be turtle. After a while me pulling the rod and sometimes the line with hand, the 'whatever' on the other end came loose. Though ocassional heavy tugs otherwise it came like a big heavy weed/waste/sack et. al. When it surfaced, I saw something like a water snake (That was the first time I see some species like that and this is my second ever catch from sw). The gathered locals declared its a poisonless water snake, they helped me unhook it and they threw it back.
I casted again, again what looked like a snake, the locals helped to get the hook free. I casted again, again hooked the snake like thing. This time locals were tired of me catching this same thing and they were mere audience. I had to cut the line. I decided to change the spot and moved to a different place along the shore.
There also there were guys catching small catfishes on prawns, I casted again with the sardine, I again caught a snake like thingy :(. But this time when I got the thing on shore, the boat guys came around and they said its not a snake its a fish ( they called it "melinja" or something close to that). I found an exact replica of what I caught in the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_eel). I think I was catching eels.

Caught 4 of them in 40 minutes, thought it was snake, lost first 3 and the 4th one was taken by a local who sweared its a tasty one !! :) The smallest one was half meter long and the longest one was more than a meter long. It was no fun catching them as they felt like rock holding my hook/sinkers initially and then dead weight on the end of the line. Each time we caught one, me including my sisters will scatter and run away throwing the rod and reel on the floor.

I caught something, but it was disappointing trip today. I am going to a beach tomorrow to try my luck from the surf :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

So you never went out fishing with your wife.
so bad so bad.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:01 am 
Fishaholic

I had a bad experience once. We have a small kid (1.3 yo) and she will start crying when she feels sleepy and she doesn't sleep well in the car and my wife will have me pack up and go by 6 PM or so.

So lesson learned. I go with anyone but my wife for fishing !!