->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2 ... ttack.html

Vijay Bhure, 32, a resident of Tirandaz village, was dragged into the lake at about 6.30 am, eye witnesses said. The incident has sent waves of panic among those who frequent the lake. The area, often crowded, wore a deserted look all of Thursday.

Vijay Bhure, the victim
On June 1, Shankar Pawar, a 28 year old resident of Powai narrowly escaped death when he was attacked by a crocodile while fishing.

On Thursday, Bhure, an employee with the mechanical department of a local construction company, was walking near the IIT guest house area.

Some locals from Tirandaz gaonthan, where Bhure lived with his mother, wife and two children, say that the crocodile grabbed him by his right leg and dragged him into the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:48 pm 

Poacher [smilie=hate.gif], not fisherman. I wish the journalists would report this properly. It also sounds like he was paddling with a tyre and disturbed the crocs nest. The crocs reaction was purely defensive - if it was looking for a meal that guy would not be around to tell lies.

These are majestic creatures and it brightens up my day to see them. It is sad to see law breakers like this guy give them a bad name. The croc and the truth are the real victims in this case.

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Absolutely Allan.

I wish journos would actually try and understand what happened and why. Right now all they want is TV time or a bit more space in a newspaper. Ans for that they will make anything sensational.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

And unfortunately so, anything sensational leads to knee jerk reactions from the so called authorities. There is already a call for "ban all fishing" in Powai - with no distinction between the poacher and the angler.

Post subject: Bizarre Powai Prediction
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:45 pm 
Fishaholic

This was an act that had been predicted by our Powai gang as they saw the poachers dangling themselves as bait on their tyre dingies.
Was just time before something like this occurred. I feel bad for the loss of life as no one deserves a death sentence but nature has to be respected.

Regards,

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

It is not a movie that a crock will jump out of water like a Sunderban Tiger and run like a cheetah behind its prey.

And even if it was out of water any one would have spotted the same. Victim was definitely near the water and couldn’t see the ambush attach from crock.

Moreover there is no claim of body being eaten, so the attack was not for food.

However the same is a :( tragic incident and BMC should take steps to keep people away from the lake area in order to avoid such incident in future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Its really saddening how these news appear in media. An everyday guy reading it does not know the difference between the Anglers and the stupidly intruding poachers. To him, the lake seems like a very dangerous place and fishing a risky activity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:28 pm 
Fishaholic

First, a Human lost his life. A poacher or a preacher, a life is more valuable that anything in this world.

We have our job's / business and most of the anglers are financially pretty much sound. Give a thought to the family of the dead. Agreed, he had no business to be there. What he was doing was illegal, but he was trying to earn a living for his family. But who is responsible for this? The croc? A BIG NO, the dead man? NO. It's the BMC, Police and above all the M.S.A.A guys who run the show... they are at fault. members in this club practice a barbaric way of angling which they proudly claim as casting. Two big size 12/0 or 14/0 hooks joined together with wire, they cast it out far and start reeling fast with swiping action of the rod. Most of this activity is outside the bay area and this is where the crocs have their habitat. I had discussed this with Ali some time back, and told him that someone is going to lose his life. The Croc behaviour has changed, they are no more scared or shy. I seriously believe that this is because they look at humans as a threat & not food.

I know there are few member's (hidden) form MSAA on IA. And I could face a ban or harassment for posting this, to them... listen, its a angling club and there is no place for meat collectors. We are lucky to have such a magnificent place in between a mega city like Mumbai & its our responsibility to look after it.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:45 pm 

Call me callous but I have no pity for a guy who met his end by treading on a crocodile while engaged in an illegal and frankly stupid activity. He deserves no sympathy only an honorable mention in the Darwin Awards for improving the gene pool and the collective intelligence quotient of India by his absence.

Allan

PS I had a bad day :roll: but cleary not a bad as Mr Bhure's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:21 am 
Fishaholic

granta wrote:
honorable mention in the Darwin Awards for improving the gene pool and the collective intelligence quotient of India

India? Take some crocs on FOC basis. There are far more Darwin Awards deserving people back home. [smilie=thumbdown.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:45 am 

Fair comment Santi - but I didn't mean to imply anything negative about India so apols if you took it the wrong way :oops: . You know me I'm often commenting that the smartest people in the UK are from India. Which is just as well as the rest there are getting dumber - for proof just watch 5 mins of UK TV !

Back on thread tho' - this guy was the architect of his own demise, he was responsible and nobody else (certainly not the croc). Nobody HAS to do what he was up to when he died, he CHOSE to and life has a habit of biting you in the behind when you get out of line. There are millions of poor law-abiding people in Mumbai - don't waste your sympathy on a chancer who pushed his luck too far. There are many more deserving.

Allan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

here in pune at the Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park or popularly known as snake park...

a four foot croc was spotted... everyone was trying to net it out... but how it got there was a story no one knows...

well...

some rich people buy baby crocs and keep them as pets... and one fine day when they too big to handle... they leave it in a waterboby nearby... risking life of humans and the wildlife...

regards,
pranav...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

I agree with you Allan, what he did was not only illegal but very stupid. But have you noticed that these attacks are increasing. And I don’t blame the croc for that.

These poachers have been netting the lake for a long time, but only recently the frequency of attacks has increased. Also what concerns me is that one croc was found dead near IIT (possibly killed).

The beautification work done by BMC, Lack of proper fencing and warning boards and above all the role of MSAA and the security the club has employed should also be blamed. I am not wasting my time giving the poacher sympathy, had there been proper policing and management of the lake, he wouldn’t have lost his life. As long as poaching is not stopped we will see another accident or another croc dead.

Allan, we as MSAA members should ask questions to the present committee on the effectiveness of the security in dealing with poachers and also push for a ban on so called casting which is often done where the crocs are.

Santosh