->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

‘Angling can’t be permitted in State’
Bangalore, August 3, DHNS:

The State Government on Monday submitted to the Karnataka High Court that angling is prohibited under law and no such activity can be permitted in Karnataka.

The State made this submission when the court was hearing petitions by Bush Betta Wildlife Resort Ltd, which has sought directions to the State Forest Department to execute the lease deed.

The State in its submission said that angling of fish (fishing mahseer) and releasing them back into the river after weighing them is banned.

The resort had challenged the failure of the State and the Central Empowered Committee in renewing the lease for its resort and angling camp on the Cauvery.

It said in 1997, the State gave permission to operate fishing and angling camp from Mekedatu to Tamil Nadu border across the Cauvery. However, the permission was not renewed. The matter has been adjourned.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/859 ... state.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:15 pm 
Fishaholic

What a terrible blow, if it does happen! Pray the courts don't share the views of the government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

What are its likely implications on our angling activity?
Does JLR also have to close shop?
These are the immediate question coming in the mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

This is an ongoing case and not a new law. For more info have a look at the original issue which lead to this,

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5037

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CEC+CLIPS ... 0224308939

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/500 ... wrath.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

I just happened to read the paper news on;

http://deccanheraldepaper.com//svww_zoo ... D005100004

It is such a disaster that is to strike the angling community. Am sure that the government or the court has not properly gone through the issue before hearing the case properly OR the news papers have not got the information correctly. I love the mahseer. I love to catch them. And i love to release them.
We should act accordingly. Lets join up hands folks and see what we can do to avert the disaster.
Moreover, Mahseer is a carp family. If they were to ban mahseer fishing , then it means that fishing for any sort of carp is prohibited.
Bops, how do we go ahead? You and me cannot live without fishing (angling) for carps!!!!!!!

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

From what I understand of the original issue, the move is to actually ban sport fishing in protected areas ex: inside wildlife sanctuaries. There is a good chance that the newspaper article is not completely accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

WTF :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Their passion for protecting fish is touching. :lol: I was under the impression that state govts are only interested in organizing international games!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:51 pm 
Fishaholic

all the better for the forest department employees to encourage illegal fishing to fill their pockets
talk about devoloping enviromental tourism
Sad if it actually happens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

FYI. Fishing has been banned at Bheemeshwari and Galiborai. JLR has canceled all bookings for these stretches. The camps will remain open for NON-Angling related activities only.

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:44 pm 
Fishaholic

:( :( Oh My God :( :(

Does the rule apply to the other stretches of cauvery in Karnataka?

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops

Is there any way that we can take this matter up with the juduciary?
Like getting an indefinite stay order or something.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Ravi, I doubt it. Technically both camps fall under the jurisdiction of the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.

As per the Indian Forest Act, the following activities are not allowed inside protected areas.

"capturing, coursing, snaring, trapping, driving or baiting any wild or captive animal and every attempt to do so;";"

http://www.wildlifetrustofindia.org/pub ... ckoner.pdf

The current ban is only applicable to the stretches of the Cauvery which pass through wildlife sanctuaries and National Parks.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:58 am 
Fishaholic

God Help them if Forest Dept is taking Over the stretch, :roll:

Once have come across an senior Forest Offifial ,who had No Idea what Mahseer is :? & was really surprised seeing me Releasing a good size Mahseer :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Another update on this issue, image below from Deccan Herald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Guys, To start of with the article discusses Mahseer fishing on the Cauvery and they've got a picture of a golden Mahseer from the North! So much for them knowing what they're talking about. Alas it's the same all over this country. A ban on Mahseer fishing is most probably going to only lead to the extinction of one of the greatest fighting sport fish that ever swam and the authorities won't even know the difference, forget about them even caring.
I can say I've been lucky enough to have had the opportunity to go fishing on the Cauvery for over 10 years and it's been truly special. A pity, it'll have to become a story I'll have to tell my kids one day.
I personally believe the fate of the Tiger and the Mahseer go hand in hand. Going by how the Tiger is doing in this country, this day makes me truly sad. I hope I don't have to carry the burden of seeing these 2 magnificent animals disappear during my lifetime.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:29 am 
Fishaholic

Ok, after having received a number of frantic calls from acorss the country on this one... here are my 2 cents on the whole situation:

First things first gentelmen... Please comprehend what you read. Seems to me the power of comprehension is diminishing at a very alarming rate along with our fish species!

I ENDORSE THE BAN!

Don't get me wrong, i'm nutty about angling and a lot of members on IA will vouch accordingly, and spend a lot of time by the waters edge.

As far as the ban goes, it follows the SC ruling made about 4 years back regarding the alarming 'rings of concrete' surrounding our sanctuaries and national parks. No more resorts pls. We are basically invading the last places the folks of the wild have... Look at what a sorry state a park like Corbett is in and on the other side look at Ranthambore (Parks in the north)! They are two complete opposites of each other. In one park, you can party on the inside, where as in the other you have to clear out by sunset. And beyond the timings, look at the wildlife pops in both places and you'll see the difference. The same story applies to the mahseer, other species and our water bodies in general.

The so called Ban in Karnataka is exactly the same as the one that happened in Corbett in '87. You can fish AROUND the borders of the park (permit and ghille costs around Rs. 2500/day), but you can't fish IN the park. Courtsy TN Seshan (I wonder which state he was from). Look at the fishing around Corbett... The mahseer is omnipresent in the rivers cause it has a nearby PROTECTED breeding sanctuary!

Each lake/river/ocean should have what I feel are “No Take Zones” where the aquatic inhabitants are protected. These wild protected eco systems encourage the survival of a specices; namely the mahseer, golden or silver. These 'no take zones' can be created in lakes, ponds, rivers and oceans. I have done this exercise on 2 very very large lakes and I know that it works brilliantly.

The anglers of the Cauvery, should take this so called 'ban', in better spirit (or with it). Its for the good of the river and the Deccan Mahseer. Follow the lead of WASI, a.k.a Wildlife Association of South India.

Anyone know where is Rustam Bana?

From what I have seen WASI do with a stretch of water is amazing. Prevent dynamiting and illeagl netting! Make the poachers angling guides and ghillies. They need a source of income. Blasting the river or your wallet doesn't matter, its the same to them.

Long story short gentelmen, in the long run, its good for the fishing. Riposte!

Project Tiger being a failure is another story... Political @ that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 am 
Fishaholic

Gypsy,

That makes sense.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Perfect common sense Gypsy .... I am with you on this one .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:
regarding the alarming 'rings of concrete' surrounding our sanctuaries and national parks. No more resorts pls. We are basically invading the last places the folks of the wild have...

FACT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Dhruv

Have you ever fished at the Bheemeshwari and Galiborai camps?

I agree with you on some points but most of you do not understand the actual situation here.

The Cauvery wildlife sanctuary is not a national park. It does not have the number of forest guards and the protection normally given to a national park. Comparing it to Corbett is pointless. The number of people visiting the Cauvery wildlife sanctuary is not restricted. Huge numbers of villagers pass through the sanctuary since there are temples along the river.

Currently WASI and JLR are jointly providing protection from dynamiting and netting. I have never seen a forest guard along the river during any of my visits there.

Visiting anglers provide both eyes and ears for incidents along the river like netting and dynamiting.

If you remove the JLR and WASI patrols from this stretch of the river there will not be a single large mahseer present in that stretch within a years time. This my friends is a FACT.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

What bops says is the actual ground situation. THe guys from bangalore are more eperienced on the subject. We guys would like the idea of fish breeding and multiplying in a safe heaven , which is the ideal situation. However, I have seen in other areas where the local population who live in close proimity to the santuary ( tribal and settled immigrants) engage in poaching activities much more in protected areas, as they colaborate with the forest guys and provide them fish and a cut from their activities.
Given the fact that this ban is pointing towards a negative result, it is all the more important for the Karnataka angling community to fight this ban and convince the decision makers if required, legally, to reverese the situation.

cheers ,
Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

All I see is that everyone has been harping about doing this and doing that for the last few years! Has anything been done??? Actions do speak louder than words!!!

Bops as anglers, the lot of you should work on preserving the Cauvery!!! It is no point hammering things off on a keyboard!!! You say there are temples along the river- what better place to start protecting the fish!!! Take the example or Rishikesh or renuka lake!!! Temples and fish galore! Try fishing in either place and you'll get lynched by a religious mob!!! These place provide sanctuaries!!! I say get off your backsides, and walk up to the Karnataka govt and tell them your team wants to protect the waters!!! Let's see how they say no!!!

I regret saying this, but it seem a lot of anglers here are near sighted with vested interests!!!

PS: nobody is asking you guys to stop the patrols, infact increase them!!! If the sanctuary is as open as you say it is, putting your own guards into place is not going to be difficult at all. Furthermore, its a golden opportunity to improve your watercraft as now you'll need it more than ever. Remember one critical thing: if there is no fish, there is no sport!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm 
Fishaholic

At least we all are talking on the fish we love! May my grandchildren enjoy the sheer joy of fishing a mountain river for Mahseer! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="indiangypsy"]It is no point hammering things off on a keyboard!!! I say get off your backsides, and walk up to the Karnataka govt and tell them your team wants to protect the waters!!! Let's see how they say no!!!

I regret saying this, but it seem a lot of anglers here are near sighted with vested interests!!!

Hi I.Gypsy
It is with great uncomfort I read the above post of yours. You think people do not have anything better to do rather than sitting in front of the screen and hammering into the key board? I strongly condemn such statements.
You know why we all of us are in this forum? Is it not because of the fish and fishing? We love to fish and more over we love to conserve the area we fish in.
Just take the classic example to trout fishing at Nilgiris. Earlier we were issued license to fish the upper waters of Nilgiris bio-sphere. We were happily fishing and we were also preserving not only the waters but also the sanctuary by keeping a vigil on the poachers (of fish and other wild life). Then suddenly some so called wise guy from the forest dept decided to ban Trout fishing in Nilgiris. This all happened because a few of us red handedly caught some of the fisheries department/EB department guys unauthorisedly NETTING for the trout. Today the genuine anglers are deprived of trout fishing. Even today you stay at the Avalanche guest house and you will be served with hot piping dish of trout for your dinner, by the forest guys (provided you take care of them PROPERLY).
Do you mean to say that this same sort of thing should happen at Galibore or the other stretches of Cauvery?
As an angler I have personally visited the Cattle Patti villages at galibore and destroyed the nets they were using to catch fish with. This happened while our tackle were stolen by fish poachers from the village. It is a big story and i do not want to narrate it here.
Do understand something. We are all in this forum because we love to fish. The question is are we treating this sport responsibly or not!!!! I am cent percent sure that the Galibore anglers have taken this as a responsible sport, not only releasing the Mahseer that have been caught and also keeping the poachers away from the area.
Just put some thought into it.
HAPPY FISHING. TIGHT LINES.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 am 

Sorry guys, having trouble being sure of the facts here. Has there actually been any sort of ban imposed now or is this something being talked about that might happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Admin

Guy's lets not make this topic one of those heated arguments. This post is simply to keep members informed on the current status of the ban.

What is most worrying is that there are thirty odd staff at Bheemeshwari and Galiborai who currently work as ghillies for visiting anglers. Most of these people are local fishermen who have been given jobs to prevent them from netting the fish. If the fishing ban stays in place then these people are going be without a job and will probably will go back to their old ways.

Harvey, if you read the second para of the newspaper article above, you will see that JLR has been asked to suspend fishing for the time being.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys, I agree with Bops about keeping the heated arguments out for now. Think it's best we wait and see what pans out.

I believe that every area is unique and has to be handled differently. What's unique with the Cauvery, particularly the stretch between Sangam and Dhodmakalli is that it falls in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary and has had angling for over 30 years. It's the Angling and the Anglers that have ensured the survival of the Mahseer. There are stretches of the river inside the park that are still being poached and no Mahseer of size being caught. I so hope the 'proposed ban' doesn't lead to this stretch going the way of the rest of the Cauvery.

If ever this issue is open for discussion, I'm sure answers and remedies will be found on this forum.

Tight Lines,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

Since many of you on this forum are concerned about the protection of the Mahseer in the CWS,I can inform you that for the season of 2010 -11,JLR has taken the decision to set up anti-poaching / feeding camps. These camps will be set up from Doddamakli to Galibore and not just at Bheemeshwari and Galibore. This decision has been taken by JLR regardless of the ban on fishing in the CWS that the court may order.

I am in touch with JLR regularly and will post any news (whether good or bad) on this thread.

OutrigorSandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I on behalf of PH invite all to follow their passion here for Mahseer.$ where there is a will there is a way!!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Sammo - By the looks of the Yamuna, you'll be fishing for the mahseer from your bedroom :lol: :lol:

From a dry place,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Sammo - By the looks of the Yamuna, you'll be fishing for the mahseer from your bedroom :lol: :lol:

From a dry place,
GRC

See Gevin, its part of the govy scheme to submerge Delhi before CWG to save face. All dams in the north are primed to do needful at the signal!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sam,
I love the way you have described your location..."submerged in south delhi".
Take care

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

I have my kayak ready!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:36 pm 

Here is a link to write directly to Minister Jairam Ramesh, (Minister of Environment and Forests)...I would suggest you circulate to every angler you know...and each should write in clearly articulating the issue , and promoting angling as the only way to protect the Mahseer and Environment, and to also fund the science.

We are all pro-protection....and we need to articulate this. Banning angling will almost certainly result in drop in funds, drop in protection, and drop in local livelihood.

This will almost certainly result in a direct increase in poaching, dynamiting and the eventual and almost certain destruction of a multitude of species (not just the Mahseer) and the environment.

http://moef.nic.in/modules/contact-mini ... -ministry/

Please write in urgently....and get all anglers to write in. This really is the time to act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the link.

I sent in my mail today. Hope every body does it.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Been there and done that before. never got a reply. Can we instead have a letter that all sign (by acceptance on this website) and present to him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:39 pm 

I've just emailed as well
Having fished at the JLR camps for 15 years it seems to me that the problem is non-anglers:
Bhimeshwari has the concrete fountain, eating facilities for 100+ and ridiculous plastic bubbles
and water-slides; Galibore now has concrete ramparts, all in the quest for non-angling income
Surely the camps could attract a hiking/bird-watching crowd who want simplicity ( I remember an Indian
Customs man who though Bhimeshwari too developed a decade ago, with tents and toilets)
Rivers can have close-seasons and non-fishing areas designated but we want to fish
Tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm 

I agree with Kevin, and the post before.

Perhaps in addition to all of us individually submitting our petition, we should also send a "Joint Petition" to the minister.

We can address it to :
The Secretary
Government of India
Ministry of Environment & Forests
Paryavaran Bhavan
CGO Complex, Lodhi Road
New Delhi - 110 003
INDIA

Telephone:+91-11-2436 1896, 24360605, 24360570, 24360519
email: envisect@nic.in

Bops, any ideas on how we can consolidate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Should it be individual letters by us all or a single letter signed by all ? Please circulate the checklist of content to be taken up. Hard copy(by Regd. A/D) may be a better option if e mail acknowledgement system is not in place.

Please be prepared to follow up with future letters requesting action to be taken upon the first request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

For the time being members can use the submission form in the link given by Mannil.

In a day or two a friend of mine will be meeting with Mr Jairam Ramesh with a report on why this ban should not be allowed. I will keep you all appraised of the results.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 am 

Hi again

I googled and found indiawilds.com and posts by a Tiger Ramesh
saying, in February, that he was going to get angling in Wildlife Areas
banned, specifically in relation to Bush Betta

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Kevin, this has already been covered in the 4th post in this thread. Please have a read through of the links.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:48 pm 

my tour operator tells me this has been resolved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

harvey wrote:
my tour operator tells me this has been resolved?

Hi Harvey, Not quite. We'll have to wait and see what pans out. PM me if you'd like details, most of which are already available on this thread.

Hi Guys, Any updates on this matter? It would be interesting to know, I'm a bit far away at the moment.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: fishing ban
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:49 am 

Ive only just joined the forum. Some interesting points being made.
I just want to say that since 2005 Ive travelled to the Cauvery and it is indeed a very special place.. Ive fished in Bush Betta and my first mahsser was a 40lb er landed by the late Subhan.. In all the visits there I never seen guides who looked after the river as well as they did.. Their care for the fish and also for other wildlife would put most of us visitors to shame..
they took us to visit local people and villages and surely these people will lose out if the ban stays..
What is latest news???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi all,

Based on the information I have been receiving from various sources, this is what I can report to all members on this forum.
- The Karnataka High Court has passed a stay order suspending fishing inside the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary.
- I am not aware if the defendant or any other 'interested party' has appealed against this judgement.
- Jungle Lodges is not accepting any fresh bookings from anglers for this season. They are trying to see how best to accomodate anglers who have already made bookings and paid for them.
- While the Bheemeshwari camp falls inside the Sanctuary, the Doddamakli and Galibore camps are either totally or partially outside the Sanctuary. Hence fishing on stretches of the river which are "outside" the Sanctuary should not be a violation of the law.
- As I am not very sure of the boundary of the Sanctuary I will not comment on this. I am trying to get a detailed map of the CWS either from Jungle Lodges or from other sources.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:22 pm 
Enlightened

hi does anybody no yet if its only camp side we are allowed to fish at gailbore ? as far side is in sanctory

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:09 am 

Its a little confusing whether the river is open or not.. Although the information here is fairly straightforward and up to date there are still many tour operators selling fishing holidays for the coming season.. And there is not a mention on their sites of the ban..
On another subject does anyone know of availability of good River maps of the Cauvary??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:50 pm 

Until 2 hours ago,I was under the impression that fishing was allowed at Doddamakli,outside reserve,No fishing at all at Beemishwari from Hati pool down through Mutathi village passed Hira, this is in the heart of the reserve.(watch Mutathi be the first to be netted and blasted with Dynamite).Then fishing on left side bank (TENT SIDE) from M.Halla to Mutki Camp.2 hours ago I had a call from England asking if it is true that fishing has bee banned on all rivers is Karnataka,I had not heard this but will find out by tomorrow evening Mysore time.
In these days of high security how can it be so easy to buy a 28gram stick of ICI dynamite for 35 rupees a stick when there is a shortage, and 15 rupees a stick when there is a glut. I know as 15 years ago walking back from Doddamakali, there was no camp then,we, 5 of us came across 30 or 40 poachers,with nets and a lot of dynamite, if we had,nt had a gun with us we would have been in serious trouble They were not frightend of us,it was only after I let of a few rounds,that they retreated and to make good our escape we burned all the coracles they had,so they could not come after us.I have been in a great deal of confrontations with poachers these last 17 years.I remember Kumar B the then Manager at Beemishwari being beaten up one night while on Poacher patrol.when we caught Chiwa Raj poaching 15 or so years ago whose now a gillie at Galibore.You have no idea what is to come. Joe

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next