->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Well the other day a guy I know thru work was just back from a holiday from the Caribbean, he showed me his pictures of his first time fishing trip where he caught 2 sailfish and 1 big mahi-mahi in a span of 2hrs, he could not help boasting about the trip and what a good angler he was, that is when I lost my head and I told him from which angle are you an Angler you are just another client on the fishing charter boat, I mean these guys have absolutely no Idea of which boat they are on, then they have no Idea of which specie they are after, all they know is that they are gonna catch some fish and have a nice speed boat ride, well once they are on the boat they have absolutely no idea of what all the equipment on the boat is all they know is that there many rods and reels, then when the are out at sea and the time for trolling starts absolutely no idea about which are the line classes how to rig the out riggers, which teasers to put out, which lure(size and color) to put out on the short and long corners and on the outriggers in fact this is the first time they see a lure and ask the obvious question to the crew are you going catch fish with this don't you use some dead fish or prawns, the charter crew puts out the lures with the color of their choice and place the rods out start trolling while our jockey talks to his wife and clicks some pictures, after a few minutes in the fish rich waters of the Caribbean a hit, the crew scrambles puts a fighting belt on the client till then the other guys removes all the other lines from the water and our client is made to sit on the fighting chair and just wrench the big reel for the next 30-40 minutes under instructions from the crew, that is the only active thing our jockey has done and finally the fish is near the boat it is taken in, and some pictures clicked with our proud angler posing with it.

I may receive flak for this but I had to put my point out to all those people who have absolutely zero knowledge about angling, but show off their fishes that they caught on charter boats, My entire point is that you dont just become an angler by wrenching the reel for 30-40mins that is something any tom dick and harry could do, so please stop boasting that your an angler, you are Not, you are just another pot bellied corporate client on the Charter fishing boat....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Here here! I know the feeling Dilip! Just remember one day "anglers" such as these will find themselves in a situation where it's up to them to make all the decisions! we all know what the outcome will be..! Half the fun of angling is learning new techniques and the characteristics of different species...when it all clicks into place and one has worked it out for himself, it can be the best feeling in the world. It's sad to think people like the guy you mention will probably never experience this true thrill of angling.

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
Half the fun of angling is learning new techniques and the characteristics of different species...when it all clicks into place and one has worked it out for himself, it can be the best feeling in the world.

Well said Scott..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

hey dilip,

bade log badi bate...

ASK THE GUY TO join IA...

better still... take him for some spinning from the rocks...

saari haawa nikal jaaegi... :oops: :oops: :oops:

regards,
pranav...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

tenx10 wrote:

better still... take him for some spinning from the rocks...

saari haawa nikal jaaegi...

Thats funny, but my topic was not exactly against a single person it was more of a message to all those you do not know the A to Z of angling not even a simple fishing knot, but claim to be big game anglers showing off their pictures after some trips they had on charter boats abroad,

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Fishaholic

To each his own Dilip .. Im sure the guy who fishes in some pond , or some shore line to feed his family , with his bamboo pole and indian fishing line with no reel thinks that hes a much better angler than you are ...

Knowing the A to Z of angling does not make you a good or better angler ...just like knowing all the theory to be a doctor does not make anyone a better doctor . because by that logic then all Science professors teaching in colleges across the world should all be practising instead of teaching ...........

My point of view and just the way i see it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
To each his own Dilip .. Im sure the guy who fishes in some pond , or some shore line to feed his family , with his bamboo pole and indian fishing line with no reel thinks that hes a much better angler than you are ...

Knowing the A to Z of angling does not make you a good or better angler ...just like knowing all the theory to be a doctor does not make anyone a better doctor . because by that logic then all Science professors teaching in colleges across the world should all be practising instead of teaching ...........

My point of view and just the way i see it :wink:

Point taken Fred but its not the question of being a good or better angler/doctor etc... its the question of not being an angler but still claiming to be one just because he was wrenching the reel, any strong kid can also do it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:05 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Dilip,

We have to also understand certain situations where people are presented with minimal opportunities & some are promised the seas. I am happy to be in the latter category where I can spend time by the sea or any water body, relax, catch some fish & be happy even if I dont catch any. While there are others who may get a once in a life time opportunity to get on a charter, hold a rod with a large fish at the end of the line, but for only a minute. These people are soooooo excited about their trip which is an adventure (they may never have another) & they cannot understand the details that go into the finer points of fishing. I do not bother about such people & I thank God that I have been blessed with opportunity. I suggest that you should do the same and thank God.

I used to get upset (sometimes I still do) about people posting superficial weights for the fish they catch. A 1kg fish is said to be 3 - 5kg & an 8 to 10kg fish is said to be 20 - 25kg. The fact remains that anyone who has caught fish know what the actual weight of the fish could be. People get a kick out of increasing the weight of the fish, so be it. But the fact remains that they did catch a fish.

Life is short. Dont waste your time over the ignorance of others. Just get you rod & reel out & head towards the sea.

Best regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Life is short. Dont waste your time over the ignorance of others. Just get you rod & reel out & head towards the sea.

Thanks for the advice mate, Roger That... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:

Best regards,
Keyur

Very Well said Keyur , infact you echoed my golden words [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 am 
Fishaholic

worldfisher wrote:
Half the fun of angling is learning new techniques and the characteristics of different species...

Well I would rather frame it as "All of the fun. "
@ Dilip : Well drafted. I certainly agree with you. I would pity such people who are deprived of such good things in life. Fishing on charter boats it's like a trial version of a software that will expire soon.
Dezz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Fishing on charter boats it's like a trial version of a software that will expire soon.
Dezz

Don't agree with this one mate. Fishing anywhere is the same. You either learn something or you waste a lot of time. For me every trip, on a chartered boat or next to the handliner on the pond, is a unique experience. I always come back smarter. And who knows one day i will be as smart or even smarter than a fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:18 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
And who knows one day i will be as smart or even smarter than a fish.

M'Ken,

You dont seem to be getting caught by Turtoils lately.....maybe you already are smarter & just dont know it :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
teritex wrote:
Fishing on charter boats it's like a trial version of a software that will expire soon.
Dezz

Don't agree with this one mate. Fishing anywhere is the same. You either learn something or you waste a lot of time. For me every trip, on a chartered boat or next to the handliner on the pond, is a unique experience. I always come back smarter. And who knows one day i will be as smart or even smarter than a fish.

Thanx Mken ,,, My thoughts exactly ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 pm 
Enlightened

Hello Everybody!

I can Understand your feelings about this.

But i want to say here that fishing is always some kind of luxury and it has to do not only with skills, but also with money.

It starts even with that you have to be rich enough to have time to do this sport. And the cost to go to fishing destinations, buy tackle........

So in some way i think we all buying our fish, no matter if you go with a guide, a charterboat or just on your own skills.

Just a few thoughts.....

tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 pm 
Fishaholic

madvento wrote:
Hello Everybody!

I can Understand your feelings about this.

But i want to say here that fishing is always some kind of luxury and it has to do not only with skills, but also with money.

It starts even with that you have to be rich enough to have time to do this sport. And the cost to go to fishing destinations, buy tackle........

So in some way i think we all buying our fish, no matter if you go with a guide, a charterboat or just on your own skills.

Just a few thoughts.....

tight lines

Fishing cannot be termed as a luxury, nor can anyone say that you have to be rich enough to have time / money.

It is definately up to an individual. My folks say that I am obsessed with fishing.....perhaps they are right. I started fishing with a bamboo & sometimes used an umbrella rib to give it a little more flexibility while striking. I caught loads (probably 100's) of murrel, carp, tilapia, catfish and sometimes the odd turtle. Bottom line...... I was happy.

Opportunity presented itself on numerous occassions & I grasped it with both hands. I have fished in many locations, caught many species, have wonderful experiences & I AM NOT RICH (Not by any means)!!! I do not envy people with more opportunities as they too have worked hard to create those opportunities. I am happy & blessed with what I have got & I know that I am more fortunate than many others around me.

I have been able to collect some decent tackle, but that too came with a lot of sacrifice.

In the country that I presently reside & work, we do not have much time to fish as & when we want. Our first obligation is to our job & our family comes second. Ask anyone residing in the UAE & they will confirm this for you.

If you have the will to do something, you will find a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm 
Fishaholic

A very tricky subject... :?

Would like to add only this much--

There are no good anglers, there are no bad anglers, there are only LUCKY anglers... :lol:

So prey that you get lucky next time you are going fishing.. whether from a rock or from a delux charter boat. :lol: :lol:

Remember from somewhere, Dilip going on a trip with a Fancy boat but coming back empty handed.. Despite all his experience and knot tying skills, he was not able to even wrench the reel. That is, that day he was simply an Unlucky Angler... :twisted: :lol:

Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Well Said Alibhai .... Powai lake is a great teacher and leveller of all such fallacies .... Jai ho ... Id rather be lucky .....than an experienced angler :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

There are no good anglers, there are no bad anglers, there are only LUCKY anglers... :lol:

Remember from somewhere, Dilip going on a trip with a Fancy boat but coming back empty handed.. Despite all his experience and knot tying skills, he was not able to even wrench the reel. That is, that day he was simply an Unlucky Angler... :twisted: :lol:

@ Ali I totally agree with you on luck playing a major role, but please give some credit to skill and experience as well, or anglers who look upto you will stop reading and learning about sports fishing and start wearing lucky charms only...

As for my last trip on the fancy boat, YES I did Wrench my reel, I personally caught Three 10lbs groupers and a small 4lbs Trigger fish but they were all small game so I did not bother to picture them, please kindly read the post well before misquoting someone...

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... ilip+kawad

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:28 pm 
Fishaholic

My 2 cents... Catching fish is nothing but a accident ....a mistake.

All fish that are caught commit one, anglers just create the conditions.. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:31 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
All fish that are caught commit one, anglers just create the conditions.. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Santosh

Now that is a good proverb.....

Good one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Well Said Alibhai .... Powai lake is a great teacher and leveller of all such fallacies .... Jai ho ... Id rather be lucky .....than an experienced angler :)

I'll second that!

On the side! I think the fish in Powai are jinns who play with us. I am sure they spend their days bragging about how they have caught Ali, Santo, Babloo and Rajat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

M'Ken, Powai fish are wicked devils .. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:26 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

Ali bhai,
Hats off to your fishing skills and equaly Humble approach.
No wonder you are the most "EXPERIENCED" and "LUCKY" sought after fishing mate .
Keep rockin !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
teritex wrote:
Dezz

MKen,

Perhaps I should have put it this way. My comment was directed to those who have never been fishing and don't know where to start with and there comes and opportunity when he/she hops on a charter for a big game. How would you compare that to the ecstasy of a angler who likes to choose his own rod own fishing hole, own reel lure etc etc..

I wouldn't be on this forum if I wasn't fascinated by this responsible sport.

Hope that makes more sense out of my post :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
[

I have been able to collect some decent tackle, but that too came with a lot of sacrifice.

Hmm I agree

Traffic Fines etc etc...
Radars blah blah ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am 

angler_ali wrote:

Regards,

Well said ali.
Cheers