->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: A Story
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:24 pm 
Fishaholic

On my first trip to India, My taxi broke down next to a beautiful, old monastery. There was no hope of fixing it and nobody else was about because it was late at night. I walked up to the entrance and knocked on the front door of the monastery. A monk answered, listened to my story and graciously invited me to spend the night whilst my driver insisted on staying with his car.

The monks fed me and led me to a tiny chamber in which to sleep. I thanked the monks and slept serenely until I was awakened by an eerie, spine tingling and incredibly beautiful sound.

The next morning, as the monks repaired the car, I asked about the sound that woke me. The monks said, "We're sorry. We can't tell you about the sound. You're not a monk." I was disappointed, but eager to be gone, so I thanked the monks fo r their kindness and went on my way.

During quiet moments over the next six years, I pondered the source of the alluring sound.

On my last trip, I was driving in the same area and stopped at the monastery on a whim and asked admittance. I explained to the monks that I had so enjoyed my previous stay and asked if I might be permitted to spend another night under their peaceful roof. The monks agreed and the I stayed.

Late that night, I heard the sound again. If anything, even more beautiful than before. The next morning, I begged the monks to explain the sound. The monks said, "We're sorry. We can't tell you about the sound. You're not a monk."

By now, the my curiosity was bordering on obsession. I decided to put my other plans on hold and allow myself to be initiated as a novice in the order, if that was the only way to l earn about the sound. I informed the monks of my decision and began five days of meditation after which I was accepted as a novice monk.

After another 10 days of meditation and religious instruction, the monks began to reveal to me the core beliefs and secrets of their order. On the twenty eighth day since my initiation there was a celebration to commemorate my first full lunar cycle as a novice monk. When the celebration ended, I humbly went to the abbot and leader of the order and asked to be told the source of the sound.

Silently, the old monk led me to a huge wooden door. He opened the door with a golden key. That door swung open to reveal a second door of silver, then a third of gold and so on until we had passed through twelve doors, each more magnificent than the last. My face was awash with tears of joy as I finally beheld the wondrous source of the mysterious sound I had first heard so many years before.
But, I can't tell you what it was. You're not a monk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

No worries mate, just to save the rest of you lot the trouble of joining the order. Same thing happened to me, I joined and was kicked out of the order with disgrace for stealing food.

About the sound, (stuff these monks), It was just the grand abbot after a few pegs of Old Monk and bout of indigestion.