->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:07 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Aquarium Fish
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi

I guess you guys are ornamental fish lovers too, I have a large 6x4 aquarium and have been an enthusiast for over 15 years now. I have two large Albino Oscars and loads of Red bellied Piranhas.

Few months ago I picked up some drift wood from Bheemeshwari and seem to have a growing problem with Leeches.

I have boiled the wood, the sand, cleaned my filter boiled the carbon, and other filter media, now the leeches pop up again, I have even dissolved salt in the water around 3%.

Do you of any medicine or any solution that I can add it to the water to kill these guys.

Thanks
Derek Dsouza

Post subject: leech
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Derek,

Stick your hand in the tank and if that fails, a foot. Soon all leeches will attach to you. Then withdraw foot.

Best,

Wolf :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Derek,

I used to keep freshwater fish now I have a marine tank with a lot of invertebrates among fish, corrals, starfish, worms anemones etc. Invertebrates are delicate organisms.

I have not had any experience with leaches but changing the water chemistry may help try making the water more acidic or alkaline, you could also try some stuff that you may find at your local fish shop that helps you get rid of snails.

I read that a freshwater pufferfish may eat leaches, you can try one of them.

Invertebrates are also very susceptible to copper, you could try this, in a marine tank you have to be very careful of copper leaching into your tank which can have disastrous results on invertebrates. I believe that most snail killing pesticides employ copper in them to do the job.

You could try wolf's method, but if your leaches are not hungry it will not work :lol:

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Post subject: Re: leech
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Wolf wrote:
Dear Derek,

Stick your hand in the tank and if that fails, a foot. Soon all leeches will attach to you. Then withdraw foot.

Best,

Wolf :D

Thanks for the Suggestions, I did exactly what you suggested, I got a few on my hand but didnt get any on my leg, so I decided to sleep in the tank for a few minutes but that didnt work either. So I took out everything and added salt and hotwater, that seemed to do the trick.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Derek,

I used to keep freshwater fish now I have a marine tank with a lot of invertebrates among fish, corrals, starfish, worms anemones etc. Invertebrates are delicate organisms.

I have not had any experience with leaches but changing the water chemistry may help try making the water more acidic or alkaline, you could also try some stuff that you may find at your local fish shop that helps you get rid of snails.

I read that a freshwater pufferfish may eat leaches, you can try one of them.

Invertebrates are also very susceptible to copper, you could try this, in a marine tank you have to be very careful of copper leaching into your tank which can have disastrous results on invertebrates. I believe that most snail killing pesticides employ copper in them to do the job.

You could try wolf's method, but if your leaches are not hungry it will not work :lol:

Hope this helps,

Bobby

I think I figured out a solution, I removed all the plants from water, took out all the drift wood, boiled the wood and did some salt water treatment. I then boiled the sand too.

Then I filled in freshwater and added a full packet of salt (my aquarium holds 1400 liters of water). I saw the remaining leeches die and I dont see them anymore but Im not sure as I plan to remove some water this weekend and put in some fresh water.

I have another aquarium which holds 500 litres I plan to convert the same into Marine tank. It is difficult to maintain the Saltwater aquarium and 1400 liters will be a lot.

The local aquariums dont have any suggestions on leeches, they are far too pleased to sell you the fish ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:54 pm 
Fishaholic

HI DEREK. ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF SRUNGAR SHOPPING CENTRE, MG ROAD, THERE IS A SHOP SELLING AQUARIUM ACCESSORIES, TELL HIM OF YOUR PROBLEMS. HE WILL SELL YOU A WHITE TABLET USE IT AS INSTRUCTED BY HIM. KEEP OUT OF CHILDRENS REACH. (INCIDENTLY THE SHOPS NAME IS DIGITRONICS.)

CALLL ME IF YOU HAVEA PROBLEM. 22860444. REGARDS. BOBBEE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
HI DEREK. ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF SRUNGAR SHOPPING CENTRE, MG ROAD, THERE IS A SHOP SELLING AQUARIUM ACCESSORIES, TELL HIM OF YOUR PROBLEMS. HE WILL SELL YOU A WHITE TABLET USE IT AS INSTRUCTED BY HIM. KEEP OUT OF CHILDRENS REACH. (INCIDENTLY THE SHOPS NAME IS DIGITRONICS.)

CALLL ME IF YOU HAVEA PROBLEM. 22860444. REGARDS. BOBBEE.

Thanks Bobbee, will try that out, they were gone for sometime, but have popped back again. I have been to this place before.

Thanks once again