->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Well we love our phones and specially the smart phones that click good pictures, show us the tide while we fish and even stay tuned to Indian Angler when the fish dont bite, have been carrying my expensive phones for fishing ever since i got my first cell phone a decade ago, i keep it safely in my waist pouch but this Sunday I was out fishing in the afternoon and as the New moon tide started to go out i started wading in the water to my favourite spot which is exposed only during the low tide, all was good until i stepped on a loose rock and fell down on my knees on the rocks below, i hurriedly got up checked my knees they were all scraped by the barnacles and my penn reel got a dunking too and that is when i looked at my waist pouch, opened it and checked my Blackberry it was dead, showed it to the mobile repair shop today and he said the phone was just a paper weight now the main mother board and battery connectors have already started corroding all gone in a split second because of saltwater.
Well whats gone is gone getting a new Blackberry tomorrow but today i got my self another phone the Samsung marine it is supposed to be waterproof and shockproof that is what the ad says and at 4500Rs. its pretty cheap , gonna use that with a different sim only for my fishing trips.
I made a mistake should have done this before hope you guys also take some precautions when taking your expensive phones, gadgets along, during your fishing trips as Accidents just could happen anytime.

Hope this report helps some one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

DK - One of the primary rules of fishing is to leave all expensive and costly accessories back at home..... including the wife !!!

Tight Lines,
GRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
DK - One of the primary rules of fishing is to leave all expensive and costly accessories back at home..... including the wife !!!

Tight Lines,
GRC

20yrs of Fishing and still learning. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Tight Lines,
GRC

well said mate..... :D :D :evil: :lol: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Whenever I am fishing I put my phone and the camera on a dry bag inside the boat. When I an wading in knee deep water then I put the phone in a plastic packet and keep it inside the shirt pocket. But accidents are accidents. it can happen to anyone I still believe that we should keep away the phones and other gadgets.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
Whenever I am fishing I put my phone and the camera on a dry bag inside the boat. When I an wading in knee deep water then I put the phone in a plastic packet and keep it inside the shirt pocket. But accidents are accidents. it can happen to anyone I still believe that we should keep away the phones and other gadgets.

Cheers,
Apoo

Rightly said Apoo accidents can happen anytime and anyhow even my phone was neatly kept in the waist pouch which is made of a waterproof material and after i got up the phone was not entirely drenched it was dry from the front only a little water managed to get inside from the battery cover and that was the end of it, I am now even planning to change my camera to the Olympus waterproof cameras which are waterproof and shock proof and are now available in India also,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Zip lock bags are the way to go. Then put the bag in a small tupperware box (they are airtight). This makes sure the phone floats so you never lose it.

Experience is such a hard teacher!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Zip lock bags are the way to go. Then put the bag in a small tupperware box (they are airtight). This makes sure the phone floats so you never lose it.

Experience is such a hard teacher!

Great Tip [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 pm 
Fishaholic

switching to a old backup phone while on fishing trip is what i follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:22 pm 
Fishaholic

If you dive in Powai, I am sure you will find an encyclopedia of cell phone samples. :lol: .

Man when you hit the water, you tend to forget every thing. It is part of this game.. :roll: :D :lol:

Regards,

Ali. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:09 am 
Fishaholic

Dropping things, forgetting that you had a dinner commitment, getting hooked (damn, forgot how many times)... falling on the rocks and still spinning when you are bleeding... the list is long, ..... anglers world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 am 
Fishaholic

I use a Ziplock bag for phone and camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

'Later' is the word every angler uses when he starts fishing and regrets about it often.

Commitment ..........Later

accident. Needs first-aid ...........Later

Hunger, thirst ............. Later

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Tight Lines,
GRC

keep costly things at home?? Like the phone and then when you get back home from your fishing trip your wife will apologize for dropping your phone in a bucket of water. :) Man.. an accident is an accident. Go buy yourself another blackberry and use the same waist pouch and see nothing will ever happen to it and yes no accidents please :)

Cheers
DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:27 pm 
Fishaholic

if it's any consolation I've lost 2 mobiles to the sea, wading out and forgetting they were on me.

Pandim :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:34 pm 
Fishaholic

pandim wrote:
if it's any consolation I've lost 2 mobiles to the sea, wading out and forgetting they were on me.

Pandim :-)

Great we are all part of the same club now :lol: , anyways i have finally decided to use waterproof phones and cameras only when i go fishing.