->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Tarpon In India
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys has anyone caught Tarpon recently?We used to catch them just after the monsoons in a stream that Runs through Poinsur Village In Mumbai,That includes Bobby too We just used bamboo rods and a float and live bait small minnows.The take was fast all u see was the float disappearing in a flash and if your lucky you had a live silver fish on the bank.Thats goin back 30 yrs ago.I am sure the rivers along the west coast will produce some good tarpon after the rains we just have to go searching for emm.A quote from a Tarpon Fishing Article. One evidence of early tarpon angling comes from Henry Thomas in his book “The Rod in India.” In 1873 he talks about catching oxeye tarpon with white flies in the following account:
Megalops Cyprinoides ... also takes a bait well at times. I have come across them coming up an estuary in a shoal, and it was like hauling in Mackerel; they run about the same size. There was a fish on as fast as ever you could get your line in the water. But the fun was very short-lived. It was in mid stream and they were all past the boat in very little time. I am told they, as well as Elops Saurus, have been caught in Madras Fort ditch with a white fly. My fishing for them was with a small dead-bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh Yes!! remember that Neil...them good old days.

I had read some report of some of the boys down south taking them around Kerla/Cochin

Post subject: Re: Tarpon In India
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:36 am 
Enlightened

I caught a couple of Tarpon in Goa on the Mandovi during the monsoons last year, I used live bait - a lost a couple when they went airborne. a good fight on light tackle. Locals usually catch really big ones when live baiting for Barramundi on the Panjim bridge
cheers
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm 
Fishaholic

I caught a couple of them in a large Sea fed pond at Miramar just behind my friend Dans house when we were fishing with the kids .. we were bait fishing with prawns and both were hooked when the prawn was on its way down .... nice when they go airborne ... both were around a pound