->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: POLE FISHING
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

i know most of my fellow anglers on the forum are sports fishing but does anyone use a fishing pole?
i can understand that they would be not much use for barimundi but for normal coarse fish the method is very entertaining... doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 pm 

wat kind of pole ur talking abt? are they natural sticks??? (part of some tree)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 am 
Fishaholic

hi jevan, no they are not wood tho the original poles were bamboo, no these poles are carbon fibre like your rods, they can also be extended to twenty meters in length... tho mine are a mere thirteen meteres... they have a system of elastication in the top few sections and the elastic takes most of the shock of the bigger fishes fighting against you... they offer exellent presentation of bait... and if you ever get a chance to see the world angling championships you will find that they now only use the pole... in england every week you can enter matches and could be drawn next to a world champion as england has won the championship many times both individually and as a team... tight lines... doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

An illustration of a fishing pole, to show you the insides of how they work:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:55 am 
Fishaholic

thanx bobby a picture is worth a thousand words :D
i should also point out that there are diffrent grades of elastic, so if you are fishing for little fish you use a light elastic and if you are on a commercial fishery where large carp are stocked then you need a stronger elastic... sorry if i'm making the waters surrounding this subject muddier but it is how most fishing is done in england now... i think most competitive anglers dont even own a rod as they fish mainly carp ponds... doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:28 am 

thx a million bobby for the picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Here in Powai Allan has tried the pole with good results.

For course fishing and when not targetting gaints of the lake, this pole fishing is a very intertaining sport.

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 am 

Hi Guys, didn't spot this thread otherwise I'd have responded earlier.

I've been fishing a pole at Powai for a while now and I'm well hooked on the method. I got my pole during a visit to Taiwan - it is 6.5 metres long and technically it's really a whip because it isn't elasticated. With whips the fish fights against the flex of the pole whereas in elasticated poles they fight against the stretch. Elasticated poles are therefore a lot stiffer and probably esier to use in a cross wind.

I've hooked and landed mirgal up to 2.5kg on it and Bablu and Rajat have caught decent sized fish on the pole. Ali lost a big one two weeks ago (due to a knot pulling out - my knot, sorry man!).

I reckon you get a better strike/hook-up rate because of the sensitivity of the method, the absense of slack line and the progressive hook set. I'm pretty sure I get a lot of missed strikes on standard float gear due to hook pull-outs caused by a hard hook set. You get a much softer hook set on a pole so you get a more hook-ups.

I'm planning to upgrade to an elasticated rig. The kit is all available in the UK but the pole sections are too long for normal shipping so I'll have to wait until someone can take the gear out for me.

Best fun you can have on a machan ;-)