->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: PONDS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

i dont know if this is the right place for this... sorry if it isnt but here goes.. i read in the hindu about people renting ponds to grow lotus for selling at temple ect. and the body who rents the ponds out is not happy about it as the lotus leaves ect grow quite profusely and basically cover the complete pond which in turn because it is blocking the suns rays from entering the water is affecting the water quallity and the quantity of life there-in..
i was wondering how it might be possible to locate a resonable sized pond that is not known to dry up that might be stocked with fish... what kind of rent might be expected from such a place where the promise was made to catch and return all fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Ponds or Jodhs as they are called up north belong to the Village panchayat (governing body). Up here they are basically leased out for 3,5 or 7 years. An acre size pond cost about Rs 10,000 to Rs 25,000 depending upon the quality of water. Ponds that are away from the main village and that are not polluted by the filth are more expensive. These are stocked with RCC (Rahu, catla and common carp). Ponds near or in the middle of villages are cheaper and are stocked with mangur (Hybrid catfish).

Unfortunately there is a fish mafia that controls the auction of these ponds and only their guys get them. This mafia also control the price of the fish. I met one guy who had leased out over 200 such ponds all over the north. considering that the average income from an acre size pond is about Rs 50,000/- this guy is swimming (sorry for the pun) in money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mk,

Are we talking quarterly, half yearly or annually?

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 pm 
Fishaholic

hi bobby, were you asking me if i was renting quarterly or half yearly?
i would be looking for a few years renting, spo i could perhaps put some carp stokies in...yours doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Mk,

Are we talking quarterly, half yearly or annually?

Bobby

Bobby!

I guess you are talking about the returns. It is yearly. Normally the fry is released just after the rains and kept for 11 months. Being fed on everything form roadkill (Dam mangur) to rice and wheat husk to what the buffaloes do in the water the fish grow to about 1 kg plus.

On a good year the earnings (pure profit after taking out what they spend on cleaning, guards, etc) could be more.

The best part of the deal is that it is really a throw the fry in, once a month check on them, and do what you normally do otherwise.

cheers