->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Who's a jammy git then?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:03 am 
Fishaholic

LUCKY GUY, RUSTAM!!! [note all text in capitals]!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

Lucky Rusty....

I have ordered a few things in the Past from the UK over the net...

Believe me I have found it cheaper getting the seller to send them to Hong Kong rather than to my Aunts in London, from where I could pick up when I go there.

Reason is when you have it delivered within the UK you are liable to local taxes (VAT etc), when you take the delivery abroad, you do not pay the tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:02 am 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
LUCKY GUY, RUSTAM!!! [note all text in capitals]!!!

Noted. Those who wish to rub my foot kindly form an orderly queue.

Jokes apart, I am not sure if Richard knows what has happened. He being ill and all that. I will e-mail him shortly and hope to get a reply sooner rather than later.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:05 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

It's true that 17.5% VAT is a kill joy but DHL!!! I wonder what they charge for a 4kg parcel to India.

Still can't get over it...

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

Yes, agree DHL's a killer..mine were sent by regular post (Airmail).

I had a similar incident happen to me when I ordered my Barra Vair-View Glasses from Australia, they sent them over to Hong Kong, no freight charge.

Nice thing about the Vari View, you can control the amount of light you want to let in, so on a dull day you can let more light in and vice versa.

My package of Books and DVD's should be comming from the US pretty soon. I was supposed to go there early this month, but had to cancel the trip. What I did was get on to Amazon and buy a load of Fishing DVD's and Books (only 1 or 2 books were fishing related). Now I am waiting for my parents to bring them over to Hong Kong on their way back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Never heard of Barra Vair View glasses before. I assume they are some sort of polarising glasses? Not an option for me as I wear prescription glasses and had to settle for one of those clip-it, flip-up polarising lenses. I find them a bit annoying during a long session, so most of the time they stay in their hardcase now.

Most of my books and one DVD are shooting related and thinking about it, I have always got whacked for duty, especially if they come from the U.S..

Rustam

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:53 am 
Fishaholic

Well done Rustam, and welcome to the Uptide club. :shock:
The 4 to 8 oz rod will probably balance out better with your 6500 shimano spinning reel than a 6 to 10 oz. Get yourself a rod tube from a shop selling pvc drainage pipes at SJP road with caps at both ends.
It will protect your rods during travel, even though it can be a bit cumbersome at times.
Don't know how you managed it without paying courier costs, because when i checked last with K&JB angling, the cost of courier for a similar rod was the same as the cost of the rod, which was just over 50 Quid.
Well done you smooth talker. 8)
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:14 am 
Fishaholic

Owen,

I definitely need a good rod tube. The cardboard tube it came in has a got a bit of a bend. The last time I had insisted they send the rods in a plastic tube and they had obliged and I would have done so again before confirming the order.

50 quid ain't that bad - relatively speaking, ofcourse. The last time Fosters sent me a reel, rod and tackle box, I think I paid something like 30+ quid or maybe it was more. Forget now.

Never checked courier prices but having seen the cost of ordinary air-mail, I would have thought a courier would charge in three digits?

Quote:
Well done you smooth talker. 8)

Moi! :shock: Sure you got the right guy? That's one thing I am not. :mrgreen:

Rustam

P.S.: What is the URL for K&JB? Don't think I have come across them. Are they the chaps who gave you the run-around regarding the broken Nexave?

Will get in a spare rod tip guide as suggested earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,

Look at a picture of the guides on this Beastmaster 9626, this looks like a rod for a spining reel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
The rod tube is essential and will just cost you 3-4 hundred bucks to make.
Do check the rod carefully for even the slightest sign of transit damage.
Yes K&JB fishing have evedently closed down and with it any chances of my getting something done about the uptide.
However Robby has done a fairly good job of repairing it i think. I just wonder if it will stand the strain of a big day on the water.
Will tie a line to my gate and try putting as much of a bend as i can in the rod before trying it out at the river again.
Looks like we have a long wait till Nov-Dec before we can try out your uptide :lol:
I have taken my uptides once to the Wasi lakes, but never removed them from the rod tube. Was rather dissapointed after seeing the water. Have since realized that the lakes are better off being fished for carps and murral till the masheer in them get a chance to show their teeth.
However, given the nature of the water and the enviornment around the lakes, i doubt that they will ever put up a scrap that their friends on the other side of the falls do.
The stretch below the falls and Doddamakli should be first grade water to test out such a rod.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
The rod tube is essential and will just cost you 3-4 hundred bucks to make.

Not a problem. Money well spent, especially when you only have one. Hence, would still be interested if you find something suitable in Bombay.

Quote:
Do check the rod carefully for even the slightest sign of transit damage.

I did give it a cursory once over but will have a closer look again. Any usual points where damage occurs? I suppose I would be looking for cracks. Should I be concerned about minor scratches? Think I saw a small one but did not give it a second thought.
Quote:
Yes K&JB fishing have evedently closed down and with it any chances of my getting something done about the uptide.
However Robby has done a fairly good job of repairing it i think. I just wonder if it will stand the strain of a big day on the water.
Will tie a line to my gate and try putting as much of a bend as i can in the rod before trying it out at the river again.

That's a shame but hope it's a user again. Go with Fosters in future. They may not be the cheapest but their service is good and Richard has been to India for Mahseer 15 times and will be here this coming Feb.

Quote:
Looks like we have a long wait till Nov-Dec before we can try out your uptide :lol:

Don't laugh! :evil: I now have a ruddy bee in my bonnet. :mrgreen:

Quote:
However, given the nature of the water and the enviornment around the lakes, i doubt that they will ever put up a scrap that their friends on the other side of the falls do.

Why is that?

Quote:
The stretch below the falls and Doddamakli should be first grade water to test out such a rod.

Ready and waiting.

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:58 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Rustam,

Look at a picture of the guides on this Beastmaster 9626, this looks like a rod for a spining reel:

Bit confused now, Bobby. On the other thread you seemed to favour an OH (over head?) reel for it.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

I was only trying to show you the difference in the guides of a O/H v/s Eggbeater. The picture above has the guides set for an eggbeater (spinning reel)..

I reiterate, I believe your rod is for an O/H reel.

Give Bops a call, I just spoke to him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
Will do the Bombay thingy next month for sure.
Leaving for Delhi the day after and should connect with Pat.
Yes give even the slightest scratch a thorough going over with a magnifying glass. I do recall that my NEXAVE had one close to the spot where it broke. The break occured just below the orange coloured wrap around the top piece.
I also noticed that the taper of the rod to be rather uneven and sudden at places, causing notches, which seemes to me a little strange.
On the other hand my twin power is full of scratches, and has hit the rocks many times when i have slipped. However i have taken the best possible care of it over the years. Also worth noting, is that unlike the NEXAVE, the taper is very smooth and even through out the rod.
I still woneder where Shimano is making their rods these days ?
One of these days i plan on stripping the rod, and repolish and retie all the guides.
Should be worth it.

Richard.... Who.... Gardner ?? Pitts ??

The lakes are not natural masheer habitat mate. Weeds and a muddy bottom is not what they really like, but if forced into that situation, they will adapt, provided the oxygen levels are adequate (with the flow), and the water remains clean. The water in the lakes needs to be faster flowing, and except for the headworks area there is no water in the lakes that has that kind of look or feel. I seriously doubt whether a masheer brought up in this type of water can match his wild cousins for sheer cunning, power and speed during a battle.
So while i am around the lakes, i happily pull out my Carp rods and try to forget that the masheer exists. One look down from the power plant and i want to get the uptides out again.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
The Beast Master has 11 guides including the tip top (A bit much for an egg beater).
Also as the company claims it is a rod that can be used with both the multiplier and the egg beater reels. I was telling Rustam earlier by PM that i seriously doubted that when the rod spine theory is considered.
The guide size selection on these rods seem to be a compromise of the 2 styles of fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
I still woneder where Shimano is making their rods these days ?
Owen

You will be surprised..."ANYWHERE", whereever they can get them made for cheap! There is no hard and fast rule...

There is a Shakespear Rod Factory about 10 mins walk from where I live, when I visited them they made..Daiwa, Shimano, Shakespear and most other brands of rods there.

Some companies sent the blanks from their factories in Korea where as most of them got theirs from China..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Do you have any contacts for blanks ??
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

You can get blanks from many places

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby:

Quote:
I reiterate, I believe your rod is for an O/H reel.

Fair enough. Both you and Owen seem to be singing from the same sheet.

Quote:
Give Bops a call, I just spoke to him.

Thanks. I did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owen:

Quote:
Richard.... Who.... Gardner ?? Pitts ??

Richard Foster. Owner of Fosters of Birmingham.

Quote:
The lakes are not natural masheer habitat mate...

My fault. I was thinking of the canals that fed the lakes. I recall a post by Paul Boote on Anglers Net, where he talks about getting a strike from a 60lber whilst spinning at night from the bridge across the canal.

Quote:
Will do the Bombay thingy next month for sure.

No rush but thanks. It would be nice to have a back-up in case of a break.

Quote:
Also as the company claims it is a rod that can be used with both the multiplier and the egg beater reels.

They only seem to be claiming that for the Nexave. I wonder if your stripper ring is larger than the one on the Beastmaster.

Thanks chaps.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
You can get blanks from many places

Yes but from somewhere reliable, made to order and economical ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rustam,
From the picture, both rods look identical and so does the largest guide.

Yes Paul Boote in his book "Somewhere down the crazy river" says that he caught a 60lb from the spot you are referring to on a plug in fading light (if i remember right). He was astonished, as he was told that there were no sizeable fish left there due to the poachers with dynamite.
I would have been too. And you know what (a little birdie told me ) that there is still a huge fish that can be seen cruising that lake which many poachers have tried killing by flinging dynamite at in vain.
I was also told that some years back a couple of forigners fishing the channel probably hooked up with this fish. It cleaned them out and snagged them on a tree much further down stream and got away.
But for every such fish in the lake, there are probably hundreds more down river after the falls. The only likey spot on the lake system would have to be this spot, and it's a very long shot.
Besides the surroundings don't grab you as true Mahseer water, which is more than half the joy of Mahseer fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
And you know what (a little birdie told me ) that there is still a huge fish that can be seen cruising that lake which many poachers have tried killing by flinging dynamite at in vain.

Got some bad news on this subject. Starting a different thread.

Rustam