->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

hi all
I have heard lots and lots of stories from my father of his childhood adventures.
How they used to go to river to catch fish sometimes with hooks and lines (one of those luck days that they had money in their pocket) and if its not their no problem
then also they will go out and catch fish with their Bare hands. :shock:
he tells me that they used to catch fishes above 5lbs with this technique...
he tells me that he used to do it in small channels and ponds and in the fields.....
Anybody has tried the same technique anytime :wink:
i have tried and succeeded to catch quite a few (in the aquarium i had) :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol:
please share your experience

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Had caught some frogs using that :D ...But No Fish :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:57 pm 
Fishaholic

apparently if you tickle the belly of a trout it goes into a 'trace' and you can catch it. even if it is true i seriously doubt how successful one can be at that. :D

in shallow water you can catch fish by swiftly pressing it down and keeping pressure on it once it hits the bottom. seen bear grylls do it - i, unfortunately havent had the chance yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:19 am 

Hi,
I have caught 'braal' (murrel) with bare hands in the channels of the paddy fields in Trivandrum as a boy.
Have caught tilapias using a mud pot baited with cooked rice from ponds too.
Umbrella was also a good tool for catching tilapias :)
regards,
rk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

my dad's given me similair stories,
including one in which he caught a snake and threw it to his brother thinking that it was a fish...
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

If i'm not wrong, catching SALMON by hand is common practice in scandinavian countries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I have caught a lot of tilapias with my bare hans and foot in my pond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

good to see many people with such an amazing skill.
my father tells me that the trick used to be to catch the fish from the head side
and to try to catch it from the gill openings....

Aaron
i remember an incidence where in my younger brother (when he was 6year old)
pulled out a water snake out on live frog..... :)
and i used to use my mother chunni to catch small fishes during mansoon season in the flooded ponds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Man I think the angling industry is reall going to suffer with all you skillful blokes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: no wonder the cost of reels are falling :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Man I think the angling industry is reall going to suffer with all you skillful blokes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: no wonder the cost of reels are falling :twisted: :twisted:

suggest to me a cheap -and good -size 5000 -6000 reel please . want to couple with 10' medium heavy action sea spinning rod :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi V. Singh,
"Cheap and good" not possible, your quality is based on what you buy.
Cheap buy = cheap quality
Expensive buy = good quality
Do not look for the cheap buy
Regards
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:17 pm 
Fishaholic

I just bought a Saltiga - Z in Hong Kong where it should have been more expensive than Singapore. I got it for HK$3000 lesser which was approx 40% off. So may be you hand fishing blokes are making a serious impact. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:36 pm 
Fishaholic

micheal cheap is probably the wrong word... reasonable is what i meant. i do undetstand that good quality is expensive. but you see if your a student like me youd be a sucker for 'sasta' too. :D but i should really know better. had my first 'cheap' rod shatter in my face. kept both my eyes luckily.

bobby, know anything about this european - swedish i think - company called fladen? prices look tempting.

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

No buddy dont know much only heard about them, think they are big time into flyfishing, I more or less stick to Daiwa for my spinning tackle.

The only piece of advice I can give you on reels is that make sure they are NOT made in China no matter what the brand name. Thai made reels are OK so are Korean. Ofcourse to get reels made in the country where the reel company originated are from is the best. Don't get fooled with the country printed on the reel seat where it will say for e.g. Penn USA, this does not mean it is made in the USA, it needs to say Penn Made in USA.

Rods, make sure the guides are quality guides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
make sure they are NOT made in China no matter what the brand name.

I honestly fail to understand how it benefits well known manufacturers to put sub-standard products bearing their name on the market. One would expect a Penn to be a Penn, no matter where it is produced. After all does Penn,and others like them, not have a name to live up to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

If you want something reasonable, then you must search and check the reel, rod and its guide. There may be times when a small brand may be more suitable than a well known brand given quality and price(depending where it is made.
Keep looking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:38 pm 
Fishaholic

hawkeye , i agree with you. but once a manufacturing base get a bad reputation its hard to shake off!

thanks for your inputs guys

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:07 am 
Fishaholic

hawkeye wrote:
Bobby wrote:
make sure they are NOT made in China no matter what the brand name.

I honestly fail to understand how it benefits well known manufacturers to put sub-standard products bearing their name on the market. One would expect a Penn to be a Penn, no matter where it is produced. After all does Penn,and others like them, not have a name to live up to?

I honestly fail to understand how it benefits well known manufacturers to put sub-standard products bearing their name on the market. One would expect a Penn to be a Penn, no matter where it is produced. After all does Penn,and others like them, not have a name to live up to?[/quote]

I don't too mate, but somehow they do it. I used to swear by Penn, but having said that, their spinning reels always had small niggles. Like the silent anti reverse clip or the anti reverse clip coming loose, The drag knob cracking, the cap on the handle where you switch left or right falling off. Anti reverse slipping. However they always made up with excellent after sales service and these small niggles are something one can handle with a slight tweak. I live in Hong Kong come across a lot of Chinese made reels and have noticed that Chinese made reels have serious problems and not just small niggles some pretty serious ones. So my advice is to stay away from them, sure they are cheaper (and that is perhaps where the economics comes from) but you need to ask yourself if they are worth it? If they were so good then people like Daiwa and Shimano would not make reels in other places and they still continue to make their high end reels like the Saltiga, Catalina and Stella in Japan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:33 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
If they were so good then people like Daiwa and Shimano would not make reels in other places and they still continue to make their high end reels like the Saltiga, Catalina and Stella in Japan.

Very true Bobby...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

but what to do when you are surrounded by rods and reels labeled MADE IN CHINA
you dont find anything other than made in china.
i saw all the rods (including Daiwa, penn) and reels to be made in china only.

im wondering what option i have now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:06 pm 
Fishaholic

I got two reels each of Daiwa Regal plus 4000 bri and exceler 3000, from Australia and all four are made in China. Bobby are u sure that they make some models out of Japan and some models in Japan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
The only piece of advice I can give you on reels is that make sure they are NOT made in China no matter what the brand name. Thai made reels are OK so are Korean.

I picked up a made in Thailand Daiwa freams 4000 from Taiwan ...had few fish on it & used it for 2 saltwater fishing trips so far.. I find the reel to be much better than the made in China Daiwa reels that I have ...

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

beemorein wrote:
I got two reels each of Daiwa Regal plus 4000 bri and exceler 3000, from Australia and all four are made in China. Bobby are u sure that they make some models out of Japan and some models in Japan?

If I understand the question correctly, you mean Reels made in Japan v/s reels made in another country by the same Japanese company.

Yes Bobbie, sure of that. There is a large difference in the price of a reel (same model) that is made in Japan and say one in Thailand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Interesting to know that even a particular model can be made in different countries: My Daiwa Regal 4000 is made in Thailand as opposed to Bobbie's which is made in China !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I would go with the Thai made reel. I have some very good Thai made Daiwa Reels and have never had a problem with them.